KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Worst second/third acts in a film

Worst second/third acts in a film
Started by: carthage

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
carthage
PLEASE PROTECT ME STONES

Worst second/third acts in a film

A movie starts off promising and engaging and then takes a sudden turn whether due to a time jump or loss of a character. What are some movies that you enjoyed up to a point and they just fell apart for one reason or another?

"Happiness is a lie. Life is horror. The light is always dying all across the universe. The last star will flicker out someday, when it does, all that remains is shadow. And I will be its king!"'-Amahl Farouk

Old Post Feb 28th, 2020 11:05 PM
carthage is currently offline Click here to Send carthage a Private Message Find more posts by carthage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr Will Hatch

Hancock is a big one. It had a really interesting premise, and it was handling that premise pretty well until that weird ass third act where we find out who he really is. Then it just falls apart.

Old Post Feb 28th, 2020 11:49 PM
Dr Will Hatch is currently offline Click here to Send Dr Will Hatch a Private Message Find more posts by Dr Will Hatch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Iron Man 3 is one that comes to mind. Everything up until Trevor reveals himself is a pretty solid character study that deals with the toll being a superhero can take on a person.

It isn't just that, but it is indicative of a shift in tone that just hurts the film.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Feb 29th, 2020 12:03 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden_2.0
Awful

Priest. Could've been an excellent movie but everything after the hive guardian at sola mira was awful. It's a shame because it was a visually awesome world and a great premise and Bettany and Urban are both solid actors. A total waste of an ending.

Old Post Feb 29th, 2020 12:39 AM
jaden_2.0 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden_2.0 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden_2.0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

quote: (post)
Originally posted by jaden_2.0
Priest. Could've been an excellent movie but everything after the hive guardian at sola mira was awful. It's a shame because it was a visually awesome world and a great premise and Bettany and Urban are both solid actors. A total waste of an ending.

thumb up

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Feb 29th, 2020 01:33 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Inhuman
|||||||||||||||||

Bad third acts.

Interstellar
Wonder Woman
The dark Knight rises
The village
Spider-Man 3
The wolverine
Wolverine origins
I am legend

Last edited by Inhuman on Feb 29th, 2020 at 02:05 AM

Old Post Feb 29th, 2020 02:01 AM
Inhuman is currently offline Click here to Send Inhuman a Private Message Find more posts by Inhuman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Mortal Kombat 2's third act went off the rails. Brought down an otherwise beautifully crafted movie.

Old Post Feb 29th, 2020 02:04 AM
Lord Lucien is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Originally posted by Dr Will Hatch
Hancock is a big one. It had a really interesting premise, and it was handling that premise pretty well until that weird ass third act where we find out who he really is. Then it just falls apart.

You beat me to it.

Old Post Feb 29th, 2020 10:06 AM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Originally posted by Lord Lucien
Mortal Kombat 2's third act went off the rails. Brought down an otherwise beautifully crafted movie.

The whole movie went off the rails before it even started.

Old Post Mar 1st, 2020 02:37 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Originally posted by Kazenji
The whole movie went off the rails before it even started.

I was actually gonna go on a rant about that one then thought, “don’t feed the troll”. laughing out loud

Old Post Mar 1st, 2020 02:39 AM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omac9

Law Abiding Citizen....worst third act in movie history.

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2020 02:59 AM
Omac9 is currently offline Click here to Send Omac9 a Private Message Find more posts by Omac9 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Silent Master

The Star Wards ST.

I don't know why some of you are going on about being right and winning. Rob and Impediment were in on this gag because I PMed them. Silent and Rao PMed me and figured I changed the post. I highly doubt anybody thought Quan made the post, but simply played along just for the lulz.

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2020 04:36 AM
Silent Master is currently offline Click here to Send Silent Master a Private Message Find more posts by Silent Master Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Originally posted by Omac9

OMG that’s a great pick.
That third act pissed me off to no end.
As in, i’m Still pissed at it. It hasn’t ended.

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2020 10:03 AM
John Murdoch

Originally posted by Dr Will Hatch

- Hancock is possibly the worst offender on this topic in film history, though I will say a contender is...

-...Spectre. The opening tracking shot sequence and the train fight with Bautista are career highlights for 007, and the movie is shot beautifully throughout. Unfortunately, once James and Madelynne (spelling?) go to Ernst Cristoff Stavros Steve Andersen Blofeld-Oberhauser II's secret lair the movie's plot takes a nosedive with the Star Trek Into Darkness villain reveal and Bond turning into a super soldier with Robocop firearms accuracy.

- I will nominate Flight as having one of the best 1st acts in cinema and then devolving into a character drama/legal procedural in acts 2 and 3, though that is the premise of the whole movie. Possibly the best crash/disaster sequence in film thought at the beginning.

Originally posted by Omac9

Didn't think about this one. Doesn't Gerard Butler take a massive heel turn and just start murdering everyone that even works with Jamie Foxx but didn't even have anything to do with his wife and kid's case? Or is it how Jamie Foxx outsmarted Butler?

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2020 03:46 PM
John Murdoch is currently offline Click here to Send John Murdoch a Private Message Find more posts by John Murdoch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

Originally posted by -Pr-
Iron Man 3 is one that comes to mind.

*vomits*

yeah...

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2020 05:12 PM
StiltmanFTW is currently offline Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
relentless1
Dark Overlord of KMC

Savages... had the most bitched out ending imaginable.... just when you thought they were gonna go there and let everybody die in a hail of gunfire fuelled by bad choices... its allllll just a dream or whatever the fu<k... Oliver Stone became a coward on the day he shot that

Old Post Mar 4th, 2020 02:08 AM
relentless1 is currently offline Click here to Send relentless1 a Private Message Find more posts by relentless1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dynamix

Dreamcatcher

Old Post Mar 4th, 2020 10:42 PM
dynamix is currently offline Click here to Send dynamix a Private Message Find more posts by dynamix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote