KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » The Woman King (2022)

The Woman King (2022)
Started by: Robtard

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Robtard
Senor Member

The Woman King (2022)

A historical epic inspired by the true events that happened in The Kingdom of Dahomey, one of the most powerful states of Africa in the 18th and 19th centuries.

Starring: Viola Davis, Hero Fiennes Tiffin, Lashana Lynch, John Boyega, Jordan Bolger, Sheila Atim

I'm looking forward to this smile

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Aug 8th, 2022 03:39 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Robtard
A historical epic inspired by the true events that happened in The Kingdom of Dahomey, one of the most powerful states of Africa in the 18th and 19th centuries.

Starring: Viola Davis, Hero Fiennes Tiffin, Lashana Lynch, John Boyega, Jordan Bolger, Sheila Atim

I'm looking forward to this smile
I know the story, should be good!

Old Post Aug 8th, 2022 11:00 PM
Old Man Whirly! is currently offline Click here to Send Old Man Whirly! a Private Message Find more posts by Old Man Whirly! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

No doubt its ignore what the tribe actually got up to in typical Hollywood fashion.

Old Post Aug 9th, 2022 02:00 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

is this where stan lee got the idea of the dora malije from?

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Aug 9th, 2022 03:09 AM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

Really cool aesthetic and a very cool little slice of history to talk about, but I wonder how accurate the movie will be in its portrayal of what happened.

The trailer seems to indicate that this is a story about indigenous peoples defending their homeland against dirty imperialist Europeans, but in reality the Dahomey were Imperialists themselves (and slavers) and were the aggressors in both wars. In fact the first and second French-Dahomey wars were basically started because the Dahomey just couldn't stop trying to conquer one of their smaller, weaker neighbors, which pissed off the French because the smaller nation was under French protection.

So we'll see. It's kind of funny how in the trailer the girl's like "somethings are worth fighting for!" and I'm like "like slavery?"

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Aug 9th, 2022 04:12 AM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Originally posted by Kazenji
No doubt its ignore what the tribe actually got up to in typical Hollywood fashion.

Originally posted by Tzeentch
Really cool aesthetic and a very cool little slice of history to talk about, but I wonder how accurate the movie will be in its portrayal of what happened.

The trailer seems to indicate that this is a story about indigenous peoples defending their homeland against dirty imperialist Europeans, but in reality the Dahomey were Imperialists themselves (and slavers) and were the aggressors in both wars. In fact the first and second French-Dahomey wars were basically started because the Dahomey just couldn't stop trying to conquer one of their smaller, weaker neighbors, which pissed off the French because the smaller nation was under French protection.

So we'll see. It's kind of funny how in the trailer the girl's like "somethings are worth fighting for!" and I'm like "like slavery?"

^^^QFT.

Anyway passing on this.
If I wanna watch a story about dumbass fictitious events in Africa I’ll watch Blended.

Old Post Aug 9th, 2022 09:51 AM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

It's going to be about as accurate as Gladiator and Braveheart were, and I don't really care.

Old Post Aug 9th, 2022 03:40 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

Probably even less so, as Gladiator and Braveheart at the least weren't lazy pandering to modern politics. I fully expect one of the evil Frenchmen to make a Trump quote right before he gets gutted.

But hopefully I'm wrong.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Aug 9th, 2022 03:49 PM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden_2.0
Awful

This looks like soiled anuses.

I do enjoy actors with American accents putting on stereotypical almost comedic generic African accents though. It was cringey in Black Panther and it's even more so in this. Why didn't they have them learn Fon or whatever language they spoke?

Old Post Aug 9th, 2022 03:50 PM
jaden_2.0 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden_2.0 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden_2.0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Probably even less so, as Gladiator and Braveheart at the least weren't lazy pandering to modern politics. I fully expect one of the evil Frenchmen to make a Trump quote right before he gets gutted.

But hopefully I'm wrong.
The director of the National Museum of Scotland said Braveheart is at least 95% fiction, that aside from people's names, dates and names of location, it was all made up.

Gladiator is pretty much all fiction, aside from Rome existing and some names being correct, yet I don't care, it's still one of my favorite films that I watch over and over.

But going from the trailer, this is going to be largely fiction, still looks fun though. Would be a welcome surprise if they hit on the Black on Black slavery aspect and Dahomey being a highly violent/aggressive and militaristic kingdom.

Last edited by Robtard on Aug 9th, 2022 at 03:58 PM

Old Post Aug 9th, 2022 03:55 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by jaden_2.0
This looks like soiled anuses.

I do enjoy actors with American accents putting on stereotypical almost comedic generic African accents though. It was cringey in Black Panther and it's even more so in this. Why didn't they have them learn Fon or whatever language they spoke?

William Wallace (1995) vs Nanisca fight incoming!

Old Post Aug 9th, 2022 04:20 PM
jaden_2.0
Awful

William Wallace killed fifty men. Fifty, if it was one.
A hundred men.
With his own sword
Cut through them like...
Moses through the red sea

Fights done.

Old Post Aug 9th, 2022 04:27 PM
jaden_2.0 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden_2.0 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden_2.0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

The director of the National Museum of Scotland said Braveheart is at least 95% fiction, that aside from people's names, dates and names of location, it was all made up.

Gladiator is pretty much all fiction, aside from Rome existing and some names being correct, yet I don't care, it's still one of my favorite films that I watch over and over.

But going from the trailer, this is going to be largely fiction, still looks fun though. Would be a welcome surprise if they hit on the Black on Black slavery aspect and Dahomey being a highly violent/aggressive and militaristic kingdom.

This goes beyond merely historical inaccuracy though. It's analogous to a modern movie portraying the Confederacy as the "good guys" fighting for their independence.

Old Post Aug 9th, 2022 04:43 PM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden_2.0
Awful

Originally posted by ares834
This goes beyond merely historical inaccuracy though. It's analogous to a modern movie portraying the Confederacy as the "good guys" fighting for their independence.

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Aug 9th, 2022 04:54 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

Eh, it's not like the White colonists in the film are the good guys being portrayed as shit, they're historically shit.

But let's just all calm down and see how they handle the Black on Black slave trade aspect.

Old Post Aug 9th, 2022 04:56 PM
ares834

Well I did say "modern" for a reason. stick out tongue

Thankfully, the country has mostly shifted on its views of the Confederacy in the past few decades. And modern Hollywood would certainly not portray them as the heroes of the conflict.

Eh, it's not like the White colonists in the film are the good guys being portrayed as shit, they're historically shit.

But let's just all calm down and see how they handle the Black on Black slave trade aspect.

While it is possible, if it does portray Dahomey is a negative light I would be shocked. Nothing they've shown suggest that at all. Quite the opposite. All the trailers they've released makes this seem to be a black empowerment film, something like Black Panther. But we will see.

Last edited by ares834 on Aug 9th, 2022 at 05:04 PM

Old Post Aug 9th, 2022 04:59 PM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

William Wallace killed fifty men. Fifty, if it was one.
A hundred men.
With his own sword
Cut through them like...
Moses through the red sea

Fights done.

How's that compare to this woman carrying the whole of Africa on her back! That's a way higher level of freedom fighting, at least by a factor of two if not three.

Old Post Aug 9th, 2022 05:00 PM
jaden_2.0
Awful

They were fighting the French, for Christ's sake.

THE FRENCH!

Old Post Aug 9th, 2022 05:04 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

They were fighting the French, for Christ's sake.

THE FRENCH!

The French beat the British Empire to win America's freedom or something.

Old Post Aug 9th, 2022 05:16 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

While it is possible, if it does portray Dahomey is a negative light I would be shocked. Nothing they've shown suggest that at all. Quite the opposite. All the trailers they've released makes this seem to be a black empowerment film, something like Black Panther. But we will see.

I fully expect this to be a Black empowerment film and I'm fine with that, just curious how they'll handle the slave trade aspect, sugarcoat, completely ignore, or be blunt.

Though slavery in Africa was different many a time, more like an indentured servant, who could work off the slavery debt and be freed. The Dahomey did have an annual festival where they sacrificed slaves though, doubt they'll touch on that at all.

Old Post Aug 9th, 2022 05:21 PM