KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Lord of the Rings » black riders, on horses or dragons?

black riders, on horses or dragons?
Started by: aniron

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
aniron

Question black riders, on horses or dragons?

I think (for some reason) that the nazgul are far more scarier when they are on horses than dragons, what do you think?

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2003 06:54 PM
aniron is currently offline Click here to Send aniron a Private Message Find more posts by aniron Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
OrliNElijahsGrl
A Proud Ringer

YES!! they are freaky on horses!!! they are VERY scary on horses...the thought of having those coming after you on horses gives a eery feeling

"There are some things time cannot mend, some hurts that go too deep, that have taken hold"-Frodo
Watch Lost every Wednesday at 8pm on ABC!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2003 07:11 PM
OrliNElijahsGrl is currently offline Click here to Send OrliNElijahsGrl a Private Message Find more posts by OrliNElijahsGrl Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Hegemon875
Archvillain

I agree. I think it's because horses are real and make the terror feel more real, while dragon's are not and remind that it's just a fantasy.

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2003 07:11 PM
Hegemon875 is currently offline Click here to Send Hegemon875 a Private Message Find more posts by Hegemon875 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
OrliNElijahsGrl
A Proud Ringer

exactly! *shivers at the thought of a wraith coming after me on a horse*

"There are some things time cannot mend, some hurts that go too deep, that have taken hold"-Frodo

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2003 08:01 PM
OrliNElijahsGrl is currently offline Click here to Send OrliNElijahsGrl a Private Message Find more posts by OrliNElijahsGrl Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
OrliNElijahsGrl
A Proud Ringer

hehe "WHAT ARE YOU DOING? those wraiths are still out there!!!"-sam

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2003 08:07 PM
Aragorn#1
Aragorn's Angel

yup i agree, and the sound of hoofs coming towards you, the horses breath wile they run, and there roar (thats whats its called) messed RUN

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2003 09:46 PM
Aragorn#1 is currently offline Click here to Send Aragorn#1 a Private Message Find more posts by Aragorn#1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
silver_tears

thats scary for me because the horses are like dead and bleeding and they have pins and nails in their hooves which is so sad and there is like blood dripping from them sad thats sad

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2003 09:48 PM
silver_tears is currently offline Click here to Send silver_tears a Private Message Find more posts by silver_tears Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
turin

i agree that they are much scarier on horses, but i beleive that it is because on horses we can equate them to something real. we all know what a horse sounds and looks like, plus we can imagine being run down by one (remember Ichabod Crane). as for dragons, they are imaginary so there isnt that elimant of realism.

and filled with wrath and despair he mounted upon Rochallor his great horse and rode forth alone, and none might restrain him. He passed over Dor-nu-Fauglith like a wind amid the dust, and all that beheld his onset fled in amaze, thinking that Oromė himself was come: for a great madness of rage was upon him, so that his eyes shone like the eyes of the Valar.

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2003 10:27 PM
turin is currently offline Click here to Send turin a Private Message Find more posts by turin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
billyboyd4ever
Diamond of Long Cleeve

i dunno in the book the dragons creeped me out more...dont ask why...but in the movie definetly the horses....ewww they gave me the chills

"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens." - J.R.R. Tolkien

*sigh* I've missed you guys.. smile

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2003 04:51 AM
billyboyd4ever is currently offline Click here to Send billyboyd4ever a Private Message Find more posts by billyboyd4ever Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Hypernova

It made the Arwen chase exciting though... and when Arwen so memorably said "If you want him, then come and claim him". Cool!

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2003 08:06 AM
Hypernova is currently offline Click here to Send Hypernova a Private Message Find more posts by Hypernova Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Exabyte

Yes I agree with you... far scarier (and far better) on horses.

When they fly, they're kinda far away, far too far... but I think that'll change on Pelennor.

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2003 11:11 AM
Exabyte is currently offline Click here to Send Exabyte a Private Message Find more posts by Exabyte Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Corlindel
Noldor

Yeap they aren't so scarier in air because they are so far...But if they were flying on horses i think i would prefer to fight a flying nazgul on horse than a flying nazgul on "dragon".

Just a doubt???? Are you all sure that they are flying on dragons? But what kin of dragons? The last dragon on middle-earth was smaug killed by Bard in Bilbo's quest years ago (Hobbit).

I call the flyers "nazgul" and the fallen human kings who fly on nazguls or walk in middle-earth by horse I call ring specters.

It is a doubt I always had. I remember read that Nazguls and ring specters are not the same. The first ones are the flyers who are mounted by the ring specters.

Can you explain me that?

Por minha Dama
«...et tu seras pour moi unique au monde, et je serais pour toi unique au monde...»

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2003 12:17 PM
Corlindel is currently offline Click here to Send Corlindel a Private Message Find more posts by Corlindel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Exabyte

They are no dragons, but because it's shorter they're called so... they are like a kind of dinosaurs (forgot the name...)... Tolkien just called them "flying beasts" or something like that.

Ring specters? Cant remember that name...
I just think that there are the Nazgul (or Ringwraiths), and if they don't want to walk, they ride on horses or, later, on this Fell Beasts.

What do you think Nazgul are?

There were most probably only two (great) dragons who survived the War of Wrath - Scatha and Smaug.
Sauron breeded the flying things, I think - but maybe he used smaller dragons.

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2003 12:45 PM
Exabyte is currently offline Click here to Send Exabyte a Private Message Find more posts by Exabyte Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
turin

well tolkien called them fell beasts, but other then that i have no clue what they are.

and filled with wrath and despair he mounted upon Rochallor his great horse and rode forth alone, and none might restrain him. He passed over Dor-nu-Fauglith like a wind amid the dust, and all that beheld his onset fled in amaze, thinking that Oromė himself was come: for a great madness of rage was upon him, so that his eyes shone like the eyes of the Valar.

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2003 02:16 PM
turin is currently offline Click here to Send turin a Private Message Find more posts by turin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
must_kill_Santa
Evil Princess

i think their kool on both but maybe slightly scary on horses

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2003 03:41 PM
must_kill_Santa is currently offline Click here to Send must_kill_Santa a Private Message Find more posts by must_kill_Santa Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Corlindel
Noldor

I don't know what kind of monsters they are but they are not dragons for sure. Maybe "small dragons" as Exa says

I think there is a little confusion about nazguls and the Ringwraiths in Tolkien books.

Por minha Dama
«...et tu seras pour moi unique au monde, et je serais pour toi unique au monde...»

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2003 04:06 PM
Corlindel is currently offline Click here to Send Corlindel a Private Message Find more posts by Corlindel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
OrliNElijahsGrl
A Proud Ringer

oooo i loved the whole ringwraiths and arwen chase, that was exciting!!! And then strongly saying "if you want him, come and claim him!" Arwen rocks in my book! hahaha

I would be scared outta my wits if there was a ringwraith coming after me on a horse...the horses looked scary and it just made the ringwraiths scarier, and plus the screaming sounds they make are even more scarier!!!

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2003 07:17 PM
Dejio

I think they're scarrier on Fell Beasts than on horses. If you doubt it then wait 'till we all watch ROTK. By the looks on the trailer, they're gonna scare the wits outta ya.

Old Post Oct 5th, 2003 01:28 PM
Dejio is currently offline Click here to Send Dejio a Private Message Find more posts by Dejio Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
aniron

how scary for arwen she had all nine of them chasing after her, and their screams are so creepy, I totally agree with exa because they are closer on horses than the flying things.

Old Post Oct 5th, 2003 01:47 PM
aniron is currently offline Click here to Send aniron a Private Message Find more posts by aniron Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Exabyte

Oh yes they're really creepy at the beginning of the trailer over Minas Tirith... I loved that scene...
But I didnt like them so much in TT - except for the ones in the very end flyin somewhere on the sky.
The rest were a bit strange and surreal... didnt like that so much.

Old Post Oct 5th, 2003 05:22 PM