KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Lord of the Rings » Ages...books vs movies

Like them as are or not?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
yes 7 87.50%
no 1 12.50%
Total: 8 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Ages...books vs movies
Started by: ROTK_Rocks

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
ROTK_Rocks
LOTR

Ages...books vs movies

I was wondering if it bothered anybody that the age differances are so far apart between Frodo and Aragorn in (book vs movie)
in books Aragorn is 80 when the quest starts and Frodo is 50..

And they are obviouly younger in the movies..
It definately doest't bother me.
..Would rather have good looking guys out there instead of old ppl with cruches....

I was just wondering about other ppl and there opinions....

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2003 07:38 AM
ROTK_Rocks is currently offline Click here to Send ROTK_Rocks a Private Message Find more posts by ROTK_Rocks Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Hypernova

I like what they've done with the movie, and the way they've done it!
I can't really complain... However by ROTK it seems that Aragorn does aquire his grey hair. evil face

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2003 07:50 AM
Hypernova is currently offline Click here to Send Hypernova a Private Message Find more posts by Hypernova Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Exabyte

I like them as they are in the movie...
I mean, the ppl simply live longer... 150 or 200 years fx.

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2003 11:21 AM
Exabyte is currently offline Click here to Send Exabyte a Private Message Find more posts by Exabyte Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Corlindel
Noldor

I think it is a false question.

Aragorn is a Dunedain and the Dunedains are not like the other men.

A Dunedain can live up to 500 years old by is ancient contact with the high elves at Numenor. Like all the Numenorians they live longer then humans. I think Aragorn at the movie seems exactly as a 80 (only eighty) years old Dunedain.

See races skills in Silmarillion. reading

Por minha Dama
«...et tu seras pour moi unique au monde, et je serais pour toi unique au monde...»

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2003 12:38 PM
Corlindel is currently offline Click here to Send Corlindel a Private Message Find more posts by Corlindel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Geez, a Dunadan cannot live to 500 years by THAT time! A human Half-Elf maybe but not a Dunadan- 200 years is pretty much the max for them

But either way, yes, the ages of the charatcers are actually accurately represented on-screen.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2003 01:26 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
turin

well also, how do we know what a hobbit looks like at 50, plus aragorn lived to around like 210 didnt he so 80 would be like a 30 year old if you consider now adays people live to 80. so i dont think it is too far off how the actors apear.

and filled with wrath and despair he mounted upon Rochallor his great horse and rode forth alone, and none might restrain him. He passed over Dor-nu-Fauglith like a wind amid the dust, and all that beheld his onset fled in amaze, thinking that Oromė himself was come: for a great madness of rage was upon him, so that his eyes shone like the eyes of the Valar.

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2003 02:13 PM
turin is currently offline Click here to Send turin a Private Message Find more posts by turin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Exabyte

What I didn't like is that Bilbo looked completely different when HE was 50 years old - already greyish hair and wrinkles and things like that, while Frodo looks like twenty or something (which seems to be okay as Hobbits are grownups at the age of 33... )

Hobbits seem to have an extremely long youth ō.O

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2003 02:54 PM
Exabyte is currently offline Click here to Send Exabyte a Private Message Find more posts by Exabyte Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
turin

ya i didnt like the way bilbo looked when it showed him in the cave with gollum. too old lookin.

and filled with wrath and despair he mounted upon Rochallor his great horse and rode forth alone, and none might restrain him. He passed over Dor-nu-Fauglith like a wind amid the dust, and all that beheld his onset fled in amaze, thinking that Oromė himself was come: for a great madness of rage was upon him, so that his eyes shone like the eyes of the Valar.

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2003 03:28 PM
turin is currently offline Click here to Send turin a Private Message Find more posts by turin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CandyKoRn
In Orlando Blooms Pant's

wasn't Bilbo around the same age as Frodo in the cave with Gollum?

Happy Dance Go Banana Go Banana! Go! Go! Happy Dance

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2003 03:39 PM
CandyKoRn is currently offline Click here to Send CandyKoRn a Private Message Find more posts by CandyKoRn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Exabyte

Yes, exactly the same age... 51 smile

But he looks like 40 years older...

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2003 03:45 PM
Corlindel
Noldor

ooops..you are right Ushgarak...I was thinking about the first Numenorians who reach the 500 years old...

Por minha Dama
«...et tu seras pour moi unique au monde, et je serais pour toi unique au monde...»

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2003 04:11 PM
Corlindel is currently offline Click here to Send Corlindel a Private Message Find more posts by Corlindel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
fini
Hurricane stalker

hmmmmm..............remember in the book the people said that Frodo began to show no signs of aging once bilbo left.......since the ring was in his care his aging slowed down.....
the movie on the other hand did not give a proper sense of time though

Thank you god for the blessing me with Chanel.
She is back with you now, so take care of her

Old Post Oct 5th, 2003 03:17 AM
fini is currently offline Click here to Send fini a Private Message Find more posts by fini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Exabyte

You're right... there were about 17 years between Bilbo's birthday party and the day Frodo left Hobbiton.

Old Post Oct 5th, 2003 06:41 AM
FreddieFreeload

In the context of their long life-span the age of the actors seem to be accurate, though they look as if they haven't seen much action (especially Elrond). Aragorn lives to be some 200 years, so at 80 one might say that Viggo Mortensen is a looking bit old, but considering his many travels, I like the end result.

Old Post Oct 5th, 2003 09:05 AM
FreddieFreeload is currently offline Click here to Send FreddieFreeload a Private Message Find more posts by FreddieFreeload Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote