KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Lord of the Rings » Prince Legolas Greenleaf.

Prince Legolas Greenleaf.
Started by: aniron

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
aniron

Prince Legolas Greenleaf.

Hi I love Legolas, but I was suprised to hear him called "prince" Legolas Greenleaf, is he a prince of Mirkwood? it he is how is it so?

Old Post Oct 14th, 2003 06:32 PM
aniron is currently offline Click here to Send aniron a Private Message Find more posts by aniron Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arwenishott
Rohirrim

it id so because Thranduil is the king of mirkwood. Thranduil and the mirkwood army play a large role in the war of the ring. legolas is sent to rivendell, and joins to fellowship.

Old Post Oct 14th, 2003 07:03 PM
Arwenishott is currently offline Click here to Send Arwenishott a Private Message Find more posts by Arwenishott Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
aniron

okay thanks for that.

so will he actually be king of mirkwood? and why isnt he treated like Galadriel and celeborne royalty lol?

Old Post Oct 14th, 2003 07:12 PM
aniron is currently offline Click here to Send aniron a Private Message Find more posts by aniron Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Hypernova

At least, Legolas seems to refer to himself as a Silvan Elf: in Eregion, he says '...the Elves of this land were of a race strange to us of the silvan folk...' (The Fellowship of the Ring II 3, The Ring Goes South). This is confusing, because his father Thranduil is elsewhere identified as one of the Sindar. Tolkien touches on this question in his Letters, where he describes Legolas as '...a Woodland Elf, though one of royal and originally Sindarinline.' (The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien No 297, dated 1967, our italics). The explanation for this is found in the Historyof Galadriel and Celeborn (in Unfinished Tales), where there's a brief account of the arrival of Thranduil's fatherOropher among the Silvan Elves of Greenwood the Great. It's made obvious there that Oropher and his small band of Sindarmerged themselves completely with the Silvan people of the Wood, leaving behind their Sindarin inheritance. That's why Oropher'sgrandson Legolas thinks of himself as a Silvan Elf, rather than one of the Sindar.
- The Encyclopedia of Arda

I'm sure someone will probably add more to this smile

Old Post Oct 15th, 2003 12:20 PM
Hypernova is currently offline Click here to Send Hypernova a Private Message Find more posts by Hypernova Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
aniron

Legolas' name stands for 'leafgreen' making him 'leafgreen greenleaf' lol
I love "greenleaf" for a second name!

thanks hypernova you no loadza stuff lol.

Old Post Oct 15th, 2003 06:48 PM
jpdt1989

Personnaly I think legolas doesn't use his royal title much A bit like Aragorn when he is a ranger

Old Post Oct 15th, 2003 06:50 PM
jpdt1989 is currently offline Click here to Send jpdt1989 a Private Message Find more posts by jpdt1989 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
aniron

yeah good point, I guess they can relate to eachother.

poor gimli, Im going to make him king gimli so he can join in too.
I love it when he says "let him go LAD let him be" in ttt it really shows his caring saif towards legolas and not because of his royalty because deep down he actually likes him lol

Old Post Oct 15th, 2003 06:55 PM
fini
Hurricane stalker

whoa hypernova...........me gonna be like you in a few months when i finish the histiry of middle earth

question ............do u constantly talk and see things from lotr too???

Thank you god for the blessing me with Chanel.
She is back with you now, so take care of her

Old Post Oct 15th, 2003 08:49 PM
fini is currently offline Click here to Send fini a Private Message Find more posts by fini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
drunk_nazgul
obscure

Legolas IS the prince of Mirkwood... the youngest, Thranduil's son.
Anybody ever find out about his mom?

Old Post Oct 15th, 2003 09:05 PM
drunk_nazgul is currently offline Click here to Send drunk_nazgul a Private Message Find more posts by drunk_nazgul Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Hypernova

Not to burst anyone's bubble, and I certainly do not want to take credit for something someone has obviously placed alot of effort into, but that was a quote guys...sorry... It's from The Encyclopedia of Arda.

The person who knows alot is either Ush or Exa confused

I am a casual fan big grin I may know a little more than the average person, but not as much as the people who've read Sil, Unfinished etc... I do love my LOTR book and movie and absolutely adore Alan Lee's paintings on LOTR. The guy rocks rock rock

fini... sometimes pirate I do start laughing sometimes when I realise I've said something from LOTR!!

Old Post Oct 16th, 2003 08:40 AM
Hypernova is currently offline Click here to Send Hypernova a Private Message Find more posts by Hypernova Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
woodelf

Question

In the TTT, Gimli refers to Legolas as a prince when they are arguing about who killed the most. Is that in the book? I have finally got the book, but haven't got beyond the first chapter yet.

I have been reading some of the posts here and on other websites. I have read that no one introduces Legolas as a "prince". And that he, himself, indentifies himself with the fellowship and not by his title.

Last edited by woodelf on Dec 29th, 2003 at 02:06 AM

Old Post Dec 29th, 2003 01:40 AM
woodelf is currently offline Click here to Send woodelf a Private Message Find more posts by woodelf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WeAreTheWorld

quote:
Originally posted by aniron
Legolas' name stands for 'leafgreen' making him 'leafgreen greenleaf' lol
I love "greenleaf" for a second name!

thanks hypernova you no loadza stuff lol.
I know it's so coollaughing haha Leafgreen Greenleaflaughing

Legolas is my favorite second to the hobbitslove yes

Old Post Dec 29th, 2003 02:08 AM
WeAreTheWorld is currently offline Click here to Send WeAreTheWorld a Private Message Find more posts by WeAreTheWorld Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kitoky
Starting Anew

Legolas Greenleaf son of Thranduil of Mirkwood. In the end of RotK, Legolas where's that head crown, all elves of royalty wheres that. And he is a prince as Arwen is a princess though I believe that Arwen is much older then Leggie.

Thranduil was actually crowned king of Mirkwood after the defeat of Sauron (the first time), and so yeah....

Thank you so much Eezy!!
I'm starting over, do not mistake me for my brother - he has left. Eezy has convinced me to come back, give him some credit.

Old Post Dec 29th, 2003 02:20 AM
Kitoky is currently offline Click here to Send Kitoky a Private Message Find more posts by Kitoky Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WeAreTheWorld

so then which one will become king/queenconfused

Old Post Dec 29th, 2003 02:22 AM
WeAreTheWorld is currently offline Click here to Send WeAreTheWorld a Private Message Find more posts by WeAreTheWorld Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kitoky
Starting Anew

quote:
Originally posted by Caribbean_Chick
so then which one will become king/queenconfused

Which heir will become king/queen?? Well none of them really, they all sail into the West to Valinor.

Thank you so much Eezy!!
I'm starting over, do not mistake me for my brother - he has left. Eezy has convinced me to come back, give him some credit.

Old Post Dec 29th, 2003 02:26 AM
Kitoky is currently offline Click here to Send Kitoky a Private Message Find more posts by Kitoky Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WeAreTheWorld

o yea lolzstick out tongue this stuff is all so confusingembarrasment

Old Post Dec 29th, 2003 02:33 AM
Aris
Warning: I bite

Legolas sailed off with Gimli at the end of the books.

Just to quote Legolas wink

"To the sea, to the sea, white gulls are crying
The wind is blowing and the white foam is flying
West, west away the round sun is falling
Grey ship, grey ship do you hear them calling?
I would leave, I would leave the woods that bore me
For our days are ending and our years failing.
I will pass the wide waters lonely sailing
Long are the waves on the last shore falling
Sweet are the voices in the lost isle calling
In Eressea, in Elvenhome that no man can discover
Where leaves fall not; land of my people forever!"

Old Post Jan 11th, 2004 03:33 AM
Aris is currently offline Click here to Send Aris a Private Message Find more posts by Aris Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Aurora
Princess

That is so beautiful!

Old Post Jan 11th, 2004 03:41 AM
Aurora is currently offline Click here to Send Aurora a Private Message Find more posts by Aurora Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kitoky
Starting Anew

*sniff* Yes indeed.

Thank you so much Eezy!!

Old Post Jan 11th, 2004 03:45 AM
PeRfEcTlY~*~NoT
~Forbidden*Innocence~

that used to be my sceeen saver,with Legolas, on a boat at sundown, member aurora

my soul cries for deliverance
will i be denied
Christ
tourniquet
my suicide

Old Post Jan 11th, 2004 03:51 AM
PeRfEcTlY~*~NoT is currently offline Click here to Send PeRfEcTlY~*~NoT a Private Message Find more posts by PeRfEcTlY~*~NoT Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote