KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Lord of the Rings » Elrond's descent (generally pointless)... *Silmarillion Spoilers, teasers really*

Elrond's descent (generally pointless)... *Silmarillion Spoilers, teasers really*
Started by: nephalim27

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
nephalim27

Elrond's descent (generally pointless)... *Silmarillion Spoilers, teasers really*

Did you know that Elrond (and his brother, Elros,) are 9/16 Elf, 6/16 Human, and 1/16 Maia (low-level "angel.")

His father was half-elf, half-human, and although was mortal and more human (man) than elf, he chose to be an elf, mostly because of his wife. His mother, Elwing, is 1/4 human, 5/8 elf, and 1/8 maia, and is an elf. Elrond and Elros were considered half-human half-elf unlike their parents which were considered to be on one side, and were given the same choice of elf or man, and Elrond chose elf, and Elros chose man. We all know about Elrond, but Elros went on to be the ancestor of Numenorean Kings (making Arwen and Aragorn distant relatives wink)

Galadriel is at least 500 years older than he is (approximately how long the Noldor remained on Middle-Earth,) probably more like 2 or 3 thousand (we do not know how long she stayed in Valinor...at least I don't.) While Galadriel is 3rd generation to the first born elves, and witnessed (although really didn't take part significantly) in the events of the 1st age, Elrond is much further down the chain, as wasn't born until the end of the first age. It's also not widely known, but Elrond married Galadriel's daughter, Celebrian.

Elrond, as you can see, has quite a large mix of bloodlines, and is the mix of all the famous people of the 1st age (most, at least.) He has the blood of 2 houses of elves, and 2 houses of men. Galadriel is a mix of the same 2 houses of elves as Elrond, Noldor & Sindar/Teleri (Elrond is descended from Sindar, Galadriel from Teleri...slightly different.)

Just some useless information that may or may not make you want to read the Silmarillion. It's really good, I strongly recommend it. Not nearly as epic as LotR though, obviously. Not much is said about Galadriel, sadly, whom in LotR I love much greater than Elrond, but the Silmarillion pretty much is a story that outlines the decent of Elrond and Elros.

I want a book of the 2nd age, that would be really cool. I know Christopher Tolkien wrote some...are they on the same par as his father or not really? Any recommendations? I love epic fantasies and they are so rare....(good ones at least.)

(I apologize if any mistakes are made in this post...i'm only human, and the history of Middle Earth can rival our own. I did my best to make sure I didn't make any vagrant errors but as I said i'm only human.)e

Old Post Nov 11th, 2003 06:02 AM
nephalim27 is currently offline Click here to Send nephalim27 a Private Message Find more posts by nephalim27 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Exabyte

Re: Elrond's descent (generally pointless)... *Silmarillion Spoilers, teasers really*

quote:
Originally posted by nephalim27
He has the blood of 2 houses of elves, and 2 houses of men.

No, 3 houses of elves and 3 houses of men -
Elronds fathers mothers father was Turgon son of Fingolfin son of Finwe, lord of the Noldor, and Indis, daughter (or sister) of Ingwe, Lord of the Vanyar and all elves;
while Elwing's mother was Nimloth, niece of Celeborn and great-granddaughter of Elmo who is the brother of Olwe and Elwe; Elwe, however, is the father of Lúthien mother of Dior who is again the father of Elwing, so everyone is related in Middle-earth big grin
By the way, Elwes brother Olwe was the father of Earwen who wedded Fingolfins (Turgon's father) brother Finarfin and was the mother of Galadriel who wedded Celeborn, grandson of Olwes brother Elmo, and their daughter Celebrían wedded Elrond big grin big grin big grin
(well, thats logical as in the beginning, only 144 elves awoke next to the waters of Cuiviénen, of whom all elves in the world are descendants)
So these are the 3 elven houses fg
And about men...
Elronds grandfather was Tuor who was the son of Huor son of Galdor son of Hador after whom the House of Hador is named (though the first important person would rather be Marach); while Tuors mother is Rían (great-aunt of Túrin) daughter of Belegund son of Bregolas son of Bregor son of Boromir son of Boron son of Baran son of Balan (also called Beor and thus father of the House of Beor).
Huors mother was Hareth sister to Haldir and daughter of Halmir son of Haldan son of Haldar son of Haldad whose daughter Haleth named the House of Haleth, so, three houses of Edain big grin

Old Post Nov 11th, 2003 03:26 PM
Exabyte is currently offline Click here to Send Exabyte a Private Message Find more posts by Exabyte Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BingaBonga
**-Away-**

very interesting, i thought that he was half human, but i didn't know the statsitics because he was called somethin, that i can't remember now, but it was in the movie... sorry i blanked.... wink

◦•~The KMC Sisterhood~•◦

Old Post Nov 11th, 2003 06:27 PM
BingaBonga is currently offline Click here to Send BingaBonga a Private Message Find more posts by BingaBonga Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Naz
Super Senior Member

thats cool, i didn't know any of that, very interesting

Old Post Nov 11th, 2003 06:54 PM
Naz is currently offline Click here to Send Naz a Private Message Find more posts by Naz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
nephalim27

Ah, i'm such an idiot...I forgot Turgon's mother was a Vanyar...so yeah 3 houses of elves, 3 houses of men...I couldn't keep track of the Edain (Men) too well, it had too little purpose and too short of mention and too many details for me to pick it all up in one reading, but definetely my goof on the elves...

Wait...Elrond doesn't have any blood from Aqualonde, does he?...(in a rush, no time to thoroughly think this through...be back later.)

Old Post Nov 12th, 2003 11:10 PM
nephalim27 is currently offline Click here to Send nephalim27 a Private Message Find more posts by nephalim27 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Exabyte

Not Turgons mother but Grandmother, as far as I rememer... his mother was Amárie or Anaire (wasnt she also a vanya?)
I meant Indis, wife of finwe.

Hm I always forget... must think of that later big grin

Old Post Nov 13th, 2003 01:55 PM
Exabyte is currently offline Click here to Send Exabyte a Private Message Find more posts by Exabyte Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
nephalim27

Yeah, mother's mother, that's what I meant...I don't think Turgon's mother is mentioned at all.

Old Post Nov 13th, 2003 05:10 PM
Corlindel
Noldor

quote:
Originally posted by Exa
Not Turgons mother but Grandmother, as far as I rememer... his mother was Amárie or Anaire (wasnt she also a vanya?)
I meant Indis, wife of finwe.

Hm I always forget... must think of that later big grin

Exa!!!!!! Stop!!!!! big grin big grin big grin

I will exchange my Tolkien's books for the current 2003 EXA's encyclopedia of Tolkien as soon as possible.

It is easier than read all Tolkien's books again wink

Hugs stick out tongue

Old Post Nov 13th, 2003 05:37 PM
Corlindel is currently offline Click here to Send Corlindel a Private Message Find more posts by Corlindel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Exabyte

Turgons mother... she is mentioned somewhere in the Histories, I think. Either it was amarie or anaire... I always mix then up as I found them at the same time... I think it's Anaire.

quote:
Originally posted by Corlindel
Exa!!!!!! Stop!!!!! big grin big grin big grin

I will exchange my Tolkien's books for the current 2003 EXA's encyclopedia of Tolkien as soon as possible.

Lol big grin thanks smile

I'm sorry it only exists in German and has only about 800 entries at the moment wink wink and nearly only humans from a to d *lol*

Old Post Nov 13th, 2003 09:06 PM
nephalim27

The histories are by Christopher though right? I personally don't consider that "canon" (not literally.)

Old Post Nov 14th, 2003 04:01 AM
Exabyte

NO Christopher didnt write them!
They're by Tolkien himself, and his youngest son Christopher just put them together, analysed them and wrote comments.

Old Post Nov 14th, 2003 07:04 AM
nephalim27

He didn't write any of the histories? *Brain malfunctions*. According to everything i've read about JRR, he had a hard time finishing LotR, nevermind have enough time to write an encyclopedia of his world...

Wow I was dead wrong....looks like he wrote LOADS more, including the Histories....what do you suggest I dive into next? Why was I under such a strong impression his writing career consisted only of the Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, and Lord of the Rings, with the former 2 not even being completed by himself...

EDIT: I get a very strong "intuitive" feeling that JRR wrote much less of the other books than Christopher would have you to believe...but what the hell do I know...I mean he (Christopher) put together a book of scraps of writing (by his father) with some being no more than rough drafts called Unfinished Tales, and then finds that his father wrote a whole encyclopedia essentially of Middle Earth that has MORE detail and information on the things in Unfinished Tales? Please do clarify if I have no idea what i'm talking about, but logic of things I don't know about put aside, I still get that intuitive feeling I mentioned...but who cares. I am happy nonetheless to learn of my error.

Last edited by nephalim27 on Nov 14th, 2003 at 03:53 PM

Old Post Nov 14th, 2003 03:45 PM
Korri

Elrond the big cookie baker!!

Old Post Nov 14th, 2003 06:15 PM
Korri is currently offline Find more posts by Korri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Exabyte

quote:
Originally posted by nephalim27
According to everything i've read about JRR, he had a hard time finishing LotR, nevermind have enough time to write an encyclopedia of his world...

Wow I was dead wrong....looks like he wrote LOADS more, including the Histories....what do you suggest I dive into next? Why was I under such a strong impression his writing career consisted only of the Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, and Lord of the Rings, with the former 2 not even being completed by himself...

Nonono, he finished LoTR about 20 years before he died...
And most of the History is far older than LoTR (some of the books show earlier versions of LoTR), it gives mainly earlier versions of his texts and Christopher put them together and commented them.
And the History is NO encyclopedia
I don't know about any encyclopedia he wrote (save appendices...)

Old Post Nov 15th, 2003 01:24 PM
nephalim27

Yeah taking a closer look it seems like scraps of rough drafts and stuff...

Old Post Nov 16th, 2003 12:36 AM
Verity

quote:
Originally posted by Korri
Elrond the big cookie baker!!

U bringin' the cookies here too?? stick out tongue laughing

Old Post Nov 16th, 2003 09:48 PM
Verity is currently offline Click here to Send Verity a Private Message Find more posts by Verity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
fini
Hurricane stalker

* fini will one day be able to sound as wise as exa on lotr/middle earth stuff *
sigh!!!!

Thank you god for the blessing me with Chanel.
She is back with you now, so take care of her

Old Post Nov 17th, 2003 08:54 AM
fini is currently offline Click here to Send fini a Private Message Find more posts by fini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Exabyte

Go, cookies! Cookies rule! And, well, cookies need love love

big grin

Old Post Nov 17th, 2003 01:06 PM
Radagast

Elrond aint nothing speacil...Aragorn had just as much maiar in him as elrond did and he was elven-blooded too.

Old Post Nov 17th, 2003 10:20 PM
Radagast is currently offline Click here to Send Radagast a Private Message Find more posts by Radagast Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Exabyte

No Aragorn had far less
And well over so many generations that doesnt matter anymore

Of course he has elvish blood as Elrond is the brother of Aragorns greatgreatgreatgreatgreat(....)greatgreatgreatgrandfather big grin

But thats also not sooo important Boromir also had elvish blood - and far "more" than Aragorn wink

Old Post Nov 18th, 2003 09:20 PM