KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Lord of the Rings » Entwives

Entwives
Started by: eldarion

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
eldarion
Son of Aragorn

Worried Entwives

Ok, I was just thinking about this. When Merry and Pippin meet Treebeard and they get to talking and he asks them if they've ever seen any entwives, they pretty much say no. But then they talk abotu the forest in Buckland and how people use to say that the trees could talk and even move. So could these have been the entwives? Or are they Hurons? I am a bit confussed. Are hurons trees with a spirit that the ents "manage" or shepard? Or were they once ents who stayed dormant for so long that they have become extreamly tree-like? I know treebeard touches on this, but I'm still confussed. Can anyone help? confused

Old Post Nov 26th, 2003 07:44 PM
eldarion is currently offline Click here to Send eldarion a Private Message Find more posts by eldarion Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
aniron

dunno but I'm an elfwive the wife of legolas elf

Old Post Nov 26th, 2003 07:48 PM
aniron is currently offline Click here to Send aniron a Private Message Find more posts by aniron Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smodden
Keyblade Chosen

sounds like a good theory, but i never understood why the ents never found there wives. *sigh* kinda sad.

Old Post Nov 26th, 2003 07:59 PM
Smodden is currently offline Click here to Send Smodden a Private Message Find more posts by Smodden Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
turin

well hurons can be either trees that become entish, or ents that become treeish. the entwives most likely were destroyed by sauron to the north of mordor where the wastes of dagorlad are (or surrounding area). I actually just read this chapter in the two towers and although it never flat out says there fate it is hinted to be so. treebeard was reasonably sure they went west over the anduin.

and filled with wrath and despair he mounted upon Rochallor his great horse and rode forth alone, and none might restrain him. He passed over Dor-nu-Fauglith like a wind amid the dust, and all that beheld his onset fled in amaze, thinking that Oromë himself was come: for a great madness of rage was upon him, so that his eyes shone like the eyes of the Valar.

Old Post Nov 26th, 2003 08:14 PM
turin is currently offline Click here to Send turin a Private Message Find more posts by turin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
turin

The mates of the Ents, who had their gardens in the regions later known as the Brown Lands. When Sauron blasted that region, the Entwives escaped into the wilds of Middle-earth and were lost to the Ents (or so the Ents themselves believed).

Notes
1 It should be said that the fate of the Entwives was never resolved with certainty, but the signs are not hopeful. Tolkien's clearest statement on the matter is to be found in his Letters: 'I think that in fact the Entwives had disappeared for good, being destroyed with their gardens in the War of the Last Alliance (Second Age 3429 - 3441)...' (The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien No 144, dated 1954). This is less definite than it might appear, because he goes on to suggest that some might have fled into the east, and finally simply states of their fate, 'I don't know.'

thats what it says in the encyclopedia or arda, a great site, you should check it out if you get a chance. http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/

and filled with wrath and despair he mounted upon Rochallor his great horse and rode forth alone, and none might restrain him. He passed over Dor-nu-Fauglith like a wind amid the dust, and all that beheld his onset fled in amaze, thinking that Oromë himself was come: for a great madness of rage was upon him, so that his eyes shone like the eyes of the Valar.

Old Post Nov 26th, 2003 08:16 PM
turin is currently offline Click here to Send turin a Private Message Find more posts by turin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eldarion
Son of Aragorn

Yes, I have that site. Thanks for the suggestions and notes. I am still curious though about what's going on in the forest in Buckland.

Old Post Nov 26th, 2003 08:27 PM
eldarion is currently offline Click here to Send eldarion a Private Message Find more posts by eldarion Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BingaBonga
**-Away-**

are the entwives covered at all in the Simarillion? I'm about to read it, as soon as i finish three other books... smile

◦•~The KMC Sisterhood~•◦

Old Post Nov 26th, 2003 09:32 PM
BingaBonga is currently offline Click here to Send BingaBonga a Private Message Find more posts by BingaBonga Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
nephalim27

Ents aren't mentioned at all in the Silmarillion, except of their creation, without the word "Ent" being used.

Old Post Nov 26th, 2003 09:48 PM
nephalim27 is currently offline Click here to Send nephalim27 a Private Message Find more posts by nephalim27 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eldarion
Son of Aragorn

ok, still waiting to hear people's opinions on what is up with the forest in Buckland?

Old Post Nov 27th, 2003 03:36 PM
BingaBonga
**-Away-**

huh.... oh yeah... it's just that this is labeled just simply "entwives" so how about we talk about anything that has to do with entwives... but anyway, idk eldarion...

◦•~The KMC Sisterhood~•◦

Old Post Nov 27th, 2003 10:17 PM
BingaBonga is currently offline Click here to Send BingaBonga a Private Message Find more posts by BingaBonga Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eldarion
Son of Aragorn

hey,

Old Post Nov 28th, 2003 12:24 AM
eldarion
Son of Aragorn

Bingabonga:
I have no problem with that! I just was wondering if anyone had an answer, that's all. What does "idk" mean?

Old Post Nov 28th, 2003 12:26 AM
eldarion
Son of Aragorn

Sorry if I sounded rude, I didn't mean it that way! erm

Old Post Nov 28th, 2003 12:28 AM
BingaBonga
**-Away-**

no, its okay, i don't know and about your question... treebeard was describing the ents, and how they were made... i'm pretty sure

◦•~The KMC Sisterhood~•◦

Old Post Nov 28th, 2003 12:38 AM
Exabyte

I don't think there were entwives in the shire though that would be really interesting

But I really wonder about that hobbit who saw a tree walking. Probably a Huorn, or maybe an ent searching for his wife?

However, I think Tolkien says everything that is to be said about that topic.

Old Post Nov 28th, 2003 12:48 PM
Exabyte is currently offline Click here to Send Exabyte a Private Message Find more posts by Exabyte Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
PeRfEcTlY~*~NoT
~Forbidden*Innocence~

In the EE they say that the lost the entwives, and Pipin I believe says im sorry ,how did they die, and treebeards like, NO we LOST them, so I just wonder where they went , or where they got lost at, or maybe that is what you are asking i dont know, lol

my soul cries for deliverance
will i be denied
Christ
tourniquet
my suicide

Old Post Nov 29th, 2003 02:54 AM
PeRfEcTlY~*~NoT is currently offline Click here to Send PeRfEcTlY~*~NoT a Private Message Find more posts by PeRfEcTlY~*~NoT Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Exabyte

The Entwives liked flowers and nice gardens more than trees (see Treebeard's Song), so they moved to the Brown Lands where they made great and beautiful gardens; but somehow they vanished, and whenever the Ents searched for them, they never again found the Entwives.
Treebeard says that the Entwives would really have liked the Shire.

Many Entwives died during the Last Alliance sad

Ent:
When Spring unfolds the beechen leaf, and sap is in the bough,
When light is on the wild-wood stream, and wind is on the brow,
When stride is long, and breath is deep, and keen the mountain-air
Come back to me! Come back to me, and say my land is fair.

Entwife:
When Spring is come to garth and field, and corn is in the blade,
When blossom like a shining snow is on the orchard laid.
When shower and Sun upon the Earth with fragrance fill the air,
I'll linger here, and will not come, because my land is fair.

Ent:
When Summer lies upon the world, and in a noon of gold,
Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves the dreams of trees unfold,
When woodland halls are green and cool, and wind is in the West,
Come back to me! Come back to me, and say my land is best.

Entwife:
When Summer warms the hanging fruit, and burns the berry brown,
When straw is gold, and ear is white, and harvest comes to town,
When honey spills, and apple swells, though wind be in the West,
I'll linger here beneath the Sun because my land is best!

Ent:
When Winter comes, the winter wild that hill and wood shall slay,
When trees shall fall and starless nights devour the sunless day,
When wind is in the deadly East, then in the bitter rain
I'll look for thee, and call to thee, I'll come to thee again!

Entwife:
When Winter comes, and singing ends, when darkness falls at last,
When broken is the barren bough, and light and labour past,
I'll look for thee, and wait for thee, until we meet again
Together we will take the road beneath the bitter rain

Both:
Together we will take the road that leads into the West,
And far away, will find a land where both our hearts will rest.

Old Post Nov 29th, 2003 11:44 AM
Exabyte is currently offline Click here to Send Exabyte a Private Message Find more posts by Exabyte Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TrixStar
I see you

I thought it mentioned in the book that the entwives left and were around buckland

Old Post Nov 29th, 2003 08:02 PM
TrixStar is currently offline Click here to Send TrixStar a Private Message Find more posts by TrixStar Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Exabyte

Did it? I cant remember that
I only heard of one ent-like creature being seen near buckland or the entwives leaving for the brown lands

Old Post Nov 29th, 2003 09:20 PM
PeRfEcTlY~*~NoT
~Forbidden*Innocence~

All i know is they aren't with them, they are lost, or dead, i hope they are just lost, Maybe in the ROTK they find them. WOuldn't that be so cute???

my soul cries for deliverance
will i be denied
Christ
tourniquet
my suicide

Old Post Nov 30th, 2003 08:04 PM
PeRfEcTlY~*~NoT is currently offline Click here to Send PeRfEcTlY~*~NoT a Private Message Find more posts by PeRfEcTlY~*~NoT Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote