KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Lord of the Rings » death of the ring wraiths

death of the ring wraiths
Started by: random task

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
super pr*xy

Question death of the ring wraiths

i did a search on this subject but to no avail...

as we all know the witch king of angmar was killed by merry and eowyn. i was just wondering how the other 8 died... or did they just disappear with the destruction of the one ring?

and one more thing... i was watching TTT when it dawned on me thar gandalf was just chillin' in fanghirn forest when everybody was running around like crazy. did he know that aragorn, gimli and legolas were gonna be there? does he have that power? or was he just waiting for the right time? thanks for your replies...

Old Post Jul 3rd, 2004 02:59 AM
super pr*xy is currently offline Click here to Send super pr*xy a Private Message Find more posts by super pr*xy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Agent Elrond
The Curse is gone

The other 8 Nazgul fied when the Ring was destroyed. Their fate was tired to thr Ring. Thry were only alive because the Ring remained. Once the Ring was destroyed, the 9's rings lost their power and they died.

Old Post Jul 3rd, 2004 03:09 AM
Agent Elrond is currently offline Click here to Send Agent Elrond a Private Message Find more posts by Agent Elrond Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
super pr*xy

what of the dwarfen rings? were they destroyed too?

Old Post Jul 3rd, 2004 04:12 AM
super pr*xy is currently offline Click here to Send super pr*xy a Private Message Find more posts by super pr*xy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Exabyte

yes

quote:
Originally posted by angiel
what of the dwarfen rings? were they destroyed too?

The exact fates of the seven dwarven Rings is not known, except for the last one; from the others, two were recaptured by Sauron as the Dwarves were to stubborn to bow to his will and always withstood him, the other four were devoured by the Dragons whose favourite hobby it obviously was to rob dwarvish treasuries smile smile

The last Ring is the one of the House of Durin (also the ancestors of Gimli); according to the legend, this Ring was given to the Lord of the House (at that time Durin III.) by Celebrimbor, creator of the Rings, and not by Sauron like the others. The House of Durin was very strong and could long keep the Ring hidden, but after some centuries or rather millenia, Sauron captured one of them, Thráin, in his stronghold in Southern Mirkwood (Dol Guldur, the Hill of Sorcery). At this time, the Istari and the other inhabitants weren't even sure yet that this Shadow in the Forest was really Sauron, they just called him "The Necromancer" and avoided all the southern regions of the forest as much as possible; However, Sauron took the Last of the Rings of the Dwarves in the year 2845 (i think) of the Third Age. He kept Thráin captured in the dungeons; some years later, Gandalf came to Dol Guldur, too, in order to find out who this Necromancer really was - he found Thráin in the dungeons, dying, only able to give Gandalf a key and a map, which were later important for The Hobbit wink ~ but Thráin died sad

so, three of the Dwarven Rings back in Sauron's possession, four devoured by Dragons.

Old Post Jul 3rd, 2004 08:39 AM
Exabyte is currently offline Click here to Send Exabyte a Private Message Find more posts by Exabyte Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Discos
The Discmeister

well i was hoping to reply to this with an answer yes but the work is done wink

anyways if you look at the movie you can see a ball of lava flying into one of the nazgul....that would of killed that one

I found it funny how the Nazgul fled Minas Tirith after the witchking was dead laughing

"In the year of our Lord 1314, patriots of Scotland, starving and outnumbered, charged the fields at Bannockburn. They fought like warrior poets. They fought like Scotsmen. And won their freedom."

Old Post Jul 3rd, 2004 11:40 AM
Discos is currently offline Click here to Send Discos a Private Message Find more posts by Discos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
shaber
schizoid

They disappeared with the destruction of the Ring of course, didn't you pay attention? "All the rings are bound up with the fate of the Ring."

Old Post Jul 3rd, 2004 02:52 PM
shaber is currently offline Click here to Send shaber a Private Message Find more posts by shaber Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Exabyte

quote:
Originally posted by shaber
"All the rings are bound up with the fate of the Ring."

Yes, and unlike the elves, the Ringwraiths live only because of and by the power of the One Ring, their rings are the only thing keeping them half-alive; the elves in contrary aren't bound by their rings, only the realms they created with their power are, and so they fade, but the keepers of the elven rings themselves, not oppressed by Sauron's will, stay alive.

Old Post Jul 3rd, 2004 03:02 PM
Exabyte is currently offline Click here to Send Exabyte a Private Message Find more posts by Exabyte Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
super pr*xy

what about my gandalf query? any thoughts, theories..? 'cause i thought it was f*cked up if he was just chillin' in fanghorn unless he knew who he would meet there...

Old Post Jul 3rd, 2004 05:43 PM
Exabyte

He most probably did know; I can'r remember Gandalf saying anything specifical about it, but the text makes it quite clear that he knew it;
Why otherwise should he have come to Fangorn

Old Post Jul 3rd, 2004 05:47 PM
super pr*xy

what exactly are his abilities?

Old Post Jul 3rd, 2004 05:58 PM
Exabyte

He doesnt have exact abilities;
He is a Maia, a lower god, hence he knows most that happens in the world (he's said to be the wisest of the Maiar); because of his Ring, he can also do a lot of things in connection with fire and give hope to his allies, strengthen their belief in what they do;

But it's hard to define what exactly he can do as things in Middleearth dont work like in HarryPotter - you need a spell or potion and everything's ok, or like in all those other fantasy series where wizards can do practically everything with "magic"
Gandalf isn't a magician at all; he's a wizard, in the sense of somebody knowing a lot (the elvish name for these wizards, "Istari", means "the knowing ones")

Old Post Jul 3rd, 2004 06:09 PM
shaber
schizoid

There isn't really magic in LOTR - Galadriel explains that it is just the term which the hobbits apply to what they can't understand; which fills whole libraries to overflowing! Even including the elvish camoflaging garments. The maiar must work by telekinesis etc

Old Post Jul 3rd, 2004 11:15 PM
shaber is currently offline Click here to Send shaber a Private Message Find more posts by shaber Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Exabyte

quote:
Originally posted by shaber
The maiar must work by telekinesis etc

Yea, the members of the White Council (like Gandalf, Saruman, Galadriel, Elrond etc) even communicated via "thoughts" (there's a cool scene of a "council" of them in RoTK - they all just sit there silently smile )

Old Post Jul 4th, 2004 08:36 AM
Thorondor
Love?

Telekenisis is moving objects with your mind laughing
Telepathic is communicating stick out tongue

A God Among Geeks

Old Post Jul 4th, 2004 12:21 PM
Thorondor is currently offline Click here to Send Thorondor a Private Message Find more posts by Thorondor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Exabyte

quote:
Originally posted by Exa
Telekenisis is moving objects with your mind laughing
Telepathic is communicating stick out tongue

I know; (its "kinesis" btw stick out tongue ,)
rather moving things far away (tele=far)

thats why I said "even communicated" which obviously implies that I was basically not agreeing, but adding smile wink

Old Post Jul 4th, 2004 04:15 PM
super pr*xy

so, gandalf could've "told" aragorn what happened to the hobbits with his mind? or was he really that good of a tracker. 'cause in my opinion, if somebody woudl've been able to track the halflings, it would've been legolas...

Old Post Jul 4th, 2004 06:42 PM
shaber
schizoid

I would like to know more about how the White Council under Saruman the White drove Sauron out of Mirkwood. It would take more than heavy gunfire!

Old Post Jul 4th, 2004 07:51 PM
shaber
schizoid

quote:
Originally posted by Exabyte
Yea, the members of the White Council (like Gandalf, Saruman, Galadriel, Elrond etc) even communicated via "thoughts" (there's a cool scene of a "council" of them in RoTK - they all just sit there silently smile )

I think speech, as in communicating verbally is rather primitive. yes communicating without resorting to making noises surely comes naturally to more sophisticated beings.

Old Post Jul 4th, 2004 08:07 PM
Bar-en-Danwedh
House of Ransom

gandalf in his early days used to hang around the elves, either invisible or disguised as one of them and just whisper things in their ears and inspire them to greatness.

he was a shaker and a stirer, not a D&D fireball launching megamage.

I was really annoyed when a couple of my nerdier friends were complaining about the lack of 'spells'

I really like the LOTR wizards interpretation.

the man they simply nicknamed 'oh @#$%' !!!

rolling on floor laughing

Old Post Jul 5th, 2004 02:51 AM
Bar-en-Danwedh is currently offline Click here to Send Bar-en-Danwedh a Private Message Find more posts by Bar-en-Danwedh Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Exabyte

quote:
Originally posted by Bar-en-Danwedh
I really like the LOTR wizards interpretation.

yes yes Me too; those "fireball launching" magicians in most other fantasy books make them pretty annoying for me, I hate this superficial and colourful laser-firework-like magic erm Sad that Gandalf is often misinterpretated as one no

Old Post Jul 5th, 2004 01:10 PM