KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Lord of the Rings » memoreizing elvish

memoreizing elvish
Started by: flamewielder

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
flamewielder

memoreizing elvish

for all of u ppl out there that r trying to learn elvish...how r u doing it?? what is the easiest way to memorize??

Old Post Jul 14th, 2004 06:30 PM
flamewielder is currently offline Click here to Send flamewielder a Private Message Find more posts by flamewielder Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Inkeeper

Well i find theeasiest way is not to make three seperate threads about itsmile

Im Back happy

Old Post Jul 14th, 2004 06:34 PM
The Inkeeper is currently offline Click here to Send The Inkeeper a Private Message Find more posts by The Inkeeper Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Exabyte

Read the popular quotes (film or book) and names again and again, they have a nice melody so you can easily remember them if you try seriously... then you somehow get a feeling for the language, as unlike real foreign languages you cant really listen to songs or well-known names ... by doing that, you automatically remember some of the most basic words and structures

After a while, "elvish" begins to sound familiar, and without really learning it, you know some basic words, from now on it's the same as in "real" foreign languages - try to translate things based on the words you already know... like, if you know the word for "star", look up the other words and the grammar and try to translate "the star shines in heaven" or stuff like that... or "I see a star"... whatever
Or - use some elvish quote you like and where you know what it means, and see if you could translate it
of course the result is a lot of nonsense in the beginning stick out tongue but that helps

Just - dont concentrate on learning words in the beginning, rather understand the structure, then learning the words will work automatically after a while smile

There are some good elvish courses online, try one of them - but I dont think its the best thing to start with them, better first get a sense for the character of the language and listen, then learn and say things yourself.

That takes a while, but in my opinion it works quite well smile

And for memorizing single words - speak them again and again, write them down (!) while thinking of the meaning, many of Tolkien's words are concepted to somehow sound like the thing they represent - I mean, Môr just cant mean anything else than "dark"... smile or "ech" - such a sharp word... means "spear" smile ... "hathol", like hissing air and then a sudden dark stop -> means "axe" smile

Old Post Jul 14th, 2004 06:41 PM
Exabyte is currently offline Click here to Send Exabyte a Private Message Find more posts by Exabyte Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Princess Re
Restricted

Account Restricted

i am an expert at elvish! ask me any thing! i will be happy to teach you what i know if you need that of me

I disaprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.
SIG MADE BY LIL BITCHINESS

Old Post Jul 14th, 2004 07:48 PM
Princess Re is currently offline Click here to Send Princess Re a Private Message Find more posts by Princess Re Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Rover

Keep a wordlist at hand, and continuously refer back to it.

Old Post Jul 14th, 2004 10:09 PM
The Rover is currently offline Click here to Send The Rover a Private Message Find more posts by The Rover Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Princess Re
Restricted

Account Restricted

well both or whatever

I disaprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.
SIG MADE BY LIL BITCHINESS

Old Post Jul 14th, 2004 10:41 PM
Princess Re is currently offline Click here to Send Princess Re a Private Message Find more posts by Princess Re Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Hiriledain

Amin mela lle melamin...

--The Lady of Men [Hiriledain]

Old Post Oct 9th, 2004 04:01 AM
Hiriledain is currently offline Click here to Send Hiriledain a Private Message Find more posts by Hiriledain Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Morgoths_Wrath

one question...when will you use elvish in your everyday lives? Planning a summer vacation to the undying lands? c'mon, ppl. why don’t you learn Arabic and make some money in the middle east , or something. if you're gonna take the time to learn another language, at least let it be worth something. be productive. bilinguals make alot of cash...learn a real language people. no elvish, please. its for your own good.

Old Post Oct 9th, 2004 04:17 AM
Morgoths_Wrath is currently offline Click here to Send Morgoths_Wrath a Private Message Find more posts by Morgoths_Wrath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Agent Elrond
The Curse is gone

what's wrong withn learning elvish? People have learned Klingon (from Star Trek for all u non-trekkies) People learn non-real langs for fun. U can't stop ppl from having fun, can u?

Old Post Oct 9th, 2004 11:30 AM
Agent Elrond is currently offline Click here to Send Agent Elrond a Private Message Find more posts by Agent Elrond Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eezy45
Winter is coming

quote:
Originally posted by Morgoths_Wrath
one question...when will you use elvish in your everyday lives? Planning a summer vacation to the undying lands? c'mon, ppl. why don’t you learn Arabic and make some money in the middle east , or something. if you're gonna take the time to learn another language, at least let it be worth something. be productive. bilinguals make alot of cash...learn a real language people. no elvish, please. its for your own good.

What the f**k?

Old Post Oct 9th, 2004 02:40 PM
eezy45 is currently offline Click here to Send eezy45 a Private Message Find more posts by eezy45 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Exabyte

quote:
Originally posted by Hiriledain
Amin mela lle melamin...

Welcome wink Isdira?
quote:
Originally posted by Morgoths_Wrath

Why only think so commercially erm
Maybe people learn elvish languages because they actually like the language and will never like any other language that much?
Maybe people learn it because no other language they know equals it in the beauty of its grammatical, phonetical and etymological structure?
Maybe they learn it because they think loving a language is worth a lot more than the ability to make money with it?
Maybe because they like playing around with languages that gives them creative freedom as there will never be somebody being able to tell them the way they express things is wrong?
Maybe they like the challenge of trying to work with a language that doesn't have words for anything so their own sense of finding alternate ways of expressing things is required?
Maybe they want to say things they would never tell anybody in a 'real' language because they don't want others to know it, and still have to get it off their chest?

Maybe they simply have a philological taste similar to Tolkien's?

Or maybe all of that together?

Old Post Oct 9th, 2004 02:58 PM
Exabyte is currently offline Click here to Send Exabyte a Private Message Find more posts by Exabyte Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Elessea

smile I agree yes ELvish is a lot preetier and nicer than other languages to learn yes

And if you really love a language, it is easier to learn, because you WANT to yes

Old Post Oct 9th, 2004 03:35 PM
Elessea is currently offline Click here to Send Elessea a Private Message Find more posts by Elessea Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MTFBWY

It is kinda hard though

Old Post Oct 11th, 2004 03:26 AM
MTFBWY is currently offline Click here to Send MTFBWY a Private Message Find more posts by MTFBWY Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Hiriledain

Amin mela lle - I love you

Melamin - My Love

Such a freak I am... Happy Dance geek

--The Lady of Men [Hiriledain]

Old Post Oct 12th, 2004 11:09 PM
Hiriledain is currently offline Click here to Send Hiriledain a Private Message Find more posts by Hiriledain Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Demonslayer1000

Memorizing elvish

quote:
Originally posted by Princess Re
i am an expert at elvish! ask me any thing! i will be happy to teach you what i know if you need that of me

How do you say Legolas in elvish

Old Post Dec 31st, 2004 06:21 AM
Demonslayer1000 is currently offline Click here to Send Demonslayer1000 a Private Message Find more posts by Demonslayer1000 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Suzuka

You know, I bet all of those geeks who learned Elfish in highschool by themselves got laughed at...And then, they got to help make LoTR and made lots of money...look who's laughing now!! I've tried multible times (though not recently) to try to learn Elfish from the back of RoTK (the appendix) but it's always been too complicated for me. I can write dwarfish!

"Hip hip"

Old Post Dec 31st, 2004 03:14 PM
Suzuka is currently offline Click here to Send Suzuka a Private Message Find more posts by Suzuka Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Exabyte

Re: Memorizing elvish

quote:
Originally posted by Demonslayer1000
How do you say Legolas in elvish

'Legolas' is elvish blink
a silvan dialect of Sindarin, to be exact erm a combination of the words "Laigolas" and "Legolast" probably ("Greenleaves" and "Keensighted")

Written like this (first Tengwar, then Runes/Cirth)

Attachment: legolas.jpg
This has been downloaded 63 time(s).

Old Post Jan 1st, 2005 06:36 PM
deKboi

ill just say this

"Nithio Iifillin!"

Old Post Jan 3rd, 2005 10:30 PM
deKboi is currently offline Click here to Send deKboi a Private Message Find more posts by deKboi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
deKboi

translate that!

Old Post Jan 3rd, 2005 10:32 PM
deKboi is currently offline Click here to Send deKboi a Private Message Find more posts by deKboi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Exabyte

Nithio... isn't that Welsh for "winnow" messed
I've never heard of Iifillin messed but isn't 'ifillin' a Finnish word confused

But in any Eldarin language blink no idea... Nithio could be the imperative of a verb "nithia-", but I don't know any like that... unless its derived from nîth 'youth'?

*is lost*

Old Post Jan 3rd, 2005 11:08 PM