KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Lord of the Rings » The importance of Tolkien's minor characters

The importance of Tolkien's minor characters
Started by: shadowy_blue

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
shadowy_blue

The importance of Tolkien's minor characters

One of the great things about The Lord of the Rings is Tolkien’s use of minor characters inasmuch as they have important, sometimes critical, parts to play.

For example:

Gaffer Gamgee – (unwittingly) sends a Black Rider off to Buckleberry because he thought Sam and Frodo had already left Hobbiton. No Gaffer, no Lord of the Rings (well from page 82 onwards anyway!)

Fatty Bolger – stalls a number of Black Riders at Crickhowell, aiding Frodo’s escape from the Shire

Radagast the Brown – unwittingly helps to defeat Saruman’s plans by passing on Gandalf’s request to animals that he requires information at Isengard. Without this, Gandalf would have remained imprisoned in Orthanc, with dire consequences.

Tom Bombadil – hardly minor, but without him perhaps no Merry and Pippin, or at least no Numenorean Sword for Merry to help defeat the Witch King with.

Glorfindel and Asfaloth. What would have happened without the Elf to assist driving the black riders into the river, and Asfaloth to rush Frodo to Rivendell?

Erkenbrand. No Erkenbrand and his men, no victory at Helm’s Deep.

Ghan buri Ghan – No Ride of the Rohirrim, they would have been waylaid or stalled until it was too late to assist Gondor.

Beregond – Halts some of the guards’ attempts in bringing Faramir to a grissly end at Rath Dinen. Without him, the line of the Stewards may have come to a halt.

Gwaihir and Landroval: who would have saved Gandalf in Isengard? Who would have saved Frodo and Sam from the fires of the erupting Orordruin? i suppose this applies to eagles in general.
I've probably missed loads, but I put it to you that the forces of 'good' would not have suceeded if perhaps one or two of the minor characters above had not intervened?

Nob - Barliman Butterbur's lackey at The Prancing Pony, if he had not gone outside looking for Merry and found two Ringwraiths stooping over his semi-conscious body, Merry would have been taken prisoner and who knows what effect this would have had on the quest to send the Ring to Mt Doom? He certainly would not have been there to help kill the Witch King. Also, if Nob had not given Sam that bag of apples, what else would Sam have used for target practice on Bill Ferny's head?

What I'm trying to say is...what an amazing, intricate, well thought out plot LOTR has (which I'm sure we all know already...but still) The Quest was so desperate that its success depended on the actions of lots of different characters. I think that these wellknown words of Galadriel, not only apply to the Fellowship, but to all the characters (major and minor) involved in the story.
quote:
The Quest stands upon the edge of a knife. Stray but a little and it will fail, to the ruin of all

I think Tolkien understood the idea that everybody has some part in everything, no matter how little that part is. I think that's where they nabbed that line for Galadriel in the Fellowship movie, "even the smallest person can change the course of the future" and so forth.

That's what makes the story a little more realistic (and coincidentally was a common practice in the writings of the early 20th century), including lots of characters that show up, and are practically never seen again. It certainly makes things more realistic, seeing as how you meet and see people once, and then never see them again.

I know I forgot loads more. These are just a few of those important minor characters. I'm expecting to hear more from you wonderful people. Any additions? smile

Old Post Apr 5th, 2004 01:59 AM
shadowy_blue is currently offline Click here to Send shadowy_blue a Private Message Find more posts by shadowy_blue Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kitoky
Starting Anew

Prince Imharil - and his men, no Lothiriel, no marriage to Eomer, blah blah blah!

Thank you so much Eezy!!
I'm starting over, do not mistake me for my brother - he has left. Eezy has convinced me to come back, give him some credit.

Old Post Apr 5th, 2004 02:08 AM
Kitoky is currently offline Click here to Send Kitoky a Private Message Find more posts by Kitoky Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Agent Elrond
The Curse is gone

The names of the two orcs in Cirith Ungol. They led to a fight that spread throught the tower. Without this fight, Sam couldn't of saved Frodo. That's somewhat important.

Old Post Apr 5th, 2004 07:42 PM
Agent Elrond is currently offline Click here to Send Agent Elrond a Private Message Find more posts by Agent Elrond Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
shaber
schizoid

You mean Shagrat and Gorbag?

Old Post Apr 5th, 2004 08:12 PM
shaber is currently offline Click here to Send shaber a Private Message Find more posts by shaber Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smodden
Keyblade Chosen

how about Deagol?...such a very minor charachter in the books, but one with a great deal of importance...Finding the ring in the river....Although if he had not found it i'm sure the ring would be found by another.

Farmer Cotton: well maybee he didn't do much but i always loved the scene from the book where he'siting by the fire warming his hands and the rufians come up to take him away and then ALL the hobbits roar and screem and surround the ruffians...

i can't think of the name now but its the orc that merry and pip tricked when they were held captive...they told him they had the ring and they escaped that way.

What makes a character a 'minor' character?...is it their deeds?...the length of their tale in the MAIN story?....what makes them minor is that they only appear for a short time in 'THE Lord of THE Rings'...but that dosn't mean they're minor in character or importance...it simply meens that what they did to affect the story of the ring was recorded by the author....then their tale ends and the rest goes on...but they continue to do deeds... they are just not recorded.smile ITs the story of the Ring...not about...farmer cotton or deagol...if it was then frodo would be a minor character...its all relative to your point of view the story is told...

ok i kinda went on a tangit and i'm not even sure if it fits in this thread now or not...but i'm not bashing anybodys opp i'm just contemplating what makes somone minor...cause they are all important to me..big grineven if some appear less than others.

Old Post Apr 5th, 2004 09:32 PM
Smodden is currently offline Click here to Send Smodden a Private Message Find more posts by Smodden Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
shadowy_blue

I meant "minor" characters as in they're not that important as far as their character is concerned..not their deeds. What I consider major characters are the principal characters...the characters that make the story go round, have plenty of things to do, have character development and all that. Eowyn, Frodo, Sam, Denethor, Aragorn, Gimli, Gandalf, etc. for me are major characters. Deagol, Beregond, Fatty Bolger, Radagast, Goldberry, Grishnakh, Orc# 2451 for me are minor characters. They're minor in characterization..but not necessarily their deeds. smile

Some more..

Halbarad was minor-yet-important. He brought with him some of Aragorn's credentials for the Kingship (Arwen's banner), without those he'd not have been able to claim the throne.

Arwen's role in the books (not her inflated role in the movies) is relatively minor, though she also sends Aragorn some needed "king equiptment" by way of Galadriel, namely the brooch which gave him his name Elessar.

The Wood-Elf guards who took pity on Gollum and ended up letting him escape play a major role in the story, in that without them, no final drop over the edge at Mount Doom. Same goes for Haldir, Rumil, and Orophin at Lothlorien when they hesitate to kill an unidentified shadow in the trees.

Snowmane is another one. Without Theoden's Bane would Eowyn have stood up to the Witch King? Doubtful.

smod..you're talking about Grishnakh..wink

Old Post Apr 5th, 2004 09:41 PM
shadowy_blue is currently offline Click here to Send shadowy_blue a Private Message Find more posts by shadowy_blue Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smodden
Keyblade Chosen

oh...thanx s-b..embarrasment

Old Post Apr 5th, 2004 09:48 PM
Smodden is currently offline Click here to Send Smodden a Private Message Find more posts by Smodden Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Thorondor
Love?

is this concerining the book or does it include the films stick out tongue

if so then Mothy - no mothy no Gwaihir but spose mothy is really just a miniature Radagast lol

Quickbeam - no merry and pippin getting taller and daunting the men that harrassed The Shire.
(not really but i couldn't think of anything else lol)

A God Among Geeks

Old Post Apr 5th, 2004 09:58 PM
Thorondor is currently offline Click here to Send Thorondor a Private Message Find more posts by Thorondor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
shadowy_blue

no prob, smod. big grin

This is both from the book and the movie. smile LOL..nice theory about Mothy..big grin Like it..LOL..

Old Post Apr 5th, 2004 10:02 PM
Smodden
Keyblade Chosen

mothy...of course!

that was one of the most creative ideas in the trilogy..i love it...

Old Post Apr 6th, 2004 06:40 PM
Kitoky
Starting Anew

No Eagles....no Lord of the Rings...period.

Thank you so much Eezy!!
I'm starting over, do not mistake me for my brother - he has left. Eezy has convinced me to come back, give him some credit.

Old Post Apr 6th, 2004 06:41 PM
Kitoky is currently offline Click here to Send Kitoky a Private Message Find more posts by Kitoky Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Thorondor
Love?

WOOOO EAGLES big grin

A God Among Geeks

Old Post Apr 6th, 2004 07:12 PM
Thorondor is currently offline Click here to Send Thorondor a Private Message Find more posts by Thorondor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smodden
Keyblade Chosen

well...how about aragorn's ring?...i know its not a character...but its an important piece in the books...who was the guy who held it alof while running and it protected him...?it was in the sil..

anyway it was a cool ring...so was gandy's ring...FIRE

Old Post Apr 6th, 2004 08:43 PM
Discos
The Discmeister

cheers shadowy, my have u got some great thoughts in that head,

but its true minor characters do infact make a difference, also thorondor please try and make some decent posts and not justwaste space...

quote:
No Eagles....no Discos....period

"In the year of our Lord 1314, patriots of Scotland, starving and outnumbered, charged the fields at Bannockburn. They fought like warrior poets. They fought like Scotsmen. And won their freedom."

Old Post Apr 7th, 2004 12:23 AM
Discos is currently offline Click here to Send Discos a Private Message Find more posts by Discos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smodden
Keyblade Chosen

indeed great thoughtsyes

eagles...are great...no eagles-no gandalf...no gandalf...no frodo...no frodo...no middle earth...no M:E no us...ect

Old Post Apr 7th, 2004 11:45 PM
shadowy_blue

So does that mean that everybody hails Manwe for bringing the Eagles into this world? shifty

stick out tongue

Old Post Apr 8th, 2004 12:57 AM
angelsflame265
la la la lalaaaa

all the orcs are minor characters in a way

Offical Country Music Lover of Ravenclaw

Old Post Apr 8th, 2004 01:48 AM
angelsflame265 is currently offline Click here to Send angelsflame265 a Private Message Find more posts by angelsflame265 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smodden
Keyblade Chosen

quote:
Originally posted by shadowy_blue
So does that mean that everybody hails Manwe for bringing the Eagles into this world? shifty

stick out tongue

except for lordy... stick out tongue

Old Post Apr 8th, 2004 08:35 PM
Agent Elrond
The Curse is gone

The supporting characters always make a story better, in someways. I can't think of anyone right now, except Beleg. He was one cool elf that feel victem to Turin's curse. He was important in other ways, I haven't read the Tales of the Children of Hurin yet, so I don't know much about Beleg.

Old Post Aug 31st, 2004 03:54 PM
Agent Elrond is currently offline Click here to Send Agent Elrond a Private Message Find more posts by Agent Elrond Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ladygrim
The Grim piratess

smile...

Old Post Aug 31st, 2004 06:15 PM
ladygrim is currently offline Click here to Send ladygrim a Private Message Find more posts by ladygrim Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote