KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Lord of the Rings » Arwen VS Eowyn

Who's the best: Eowyn or Arwen?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Arwen 49 56.98%
Eowyn 22 25.58%
Both! 15 17.44%
Total: 86 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Arwen VS Eowyn
Started by: DanielLB

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
DanielLB
The Bad Wolf

Smile Arwen VS Eowyn

Ok, at the moment we have a Aragorn VS Legolas thread so i thought we should see who would win between Arwen and Eowyn! Not a fight however....just your feelings and thoughts. Now i know that hundreds of fans hate Liv Tyler and Arwen but i hope this doesn't affect the results.....

I have to go with Arwen as the best because she gave away her immortality for the once she loved and never gave up hope. stick out tongue big grin

http://cjbannister.users.btopenworld.com/Home.htm

Old Post Jun 26th, 2005 12:25 PM
DanielLB is currently offline Click here to Send DanielLB a Private Message Find more posts by DanielLB Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Rover

Movie or Book?

Book> Éowyn. She's strong-minded, and not willing to be told what to do by a man. I like that in a woman.

Movie> Arwen. Because I think Liv Tyler is....beautiful. Atherial (sp?).
Éowyn's character comes off a bit weak, due to some....sub-standard script-writing.

But then again, I didn't like how they cut Glorfindel out to make Arwen a deeper character....so I'm undivided Movie-wise. wink

Old Post Jun 26th, 2005 10:15 PM
The Rover is currently offline Click here to Send The Rover a Private Message Find more posts by The Rover Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JediMasterLuke5
Superman is a god

I say Arwen, even though she did completely nothing durring the war of the ring, she was a Noldor elf I believe.

Old Post Jun 27th, 2005 07:24 PM
JediMasterLuke5 is currently offline Click here to Send JediMasterLuke5 a Private Message Find more posts by JediMasterLuke5 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
shadowy_blue

I should say that the lady who could give up her people not just for life, but for eternity in return for the uncertain fate of mankind; who could stand to wait for years while her man risked his life countless times, and to see the stress it placed on him and still be a support when he did turn up is a strong enough character for my taste. I like Arwen.

I have to admit I voted for the both of them though, because I really like Eowyn too. I just thought I would explain my reasons for liking Arwen more thoroughly because not a lot of people seem to understand why I think she's not bad in the book at all.

No need to explain my Eowyn fandomness, I suppose. wink

Forgive me if this would be a little irrelevant to the topic, but Smodden and I were talking last night, and the conversation led to the love triangle between Arwen, Aragorn, and Eowyn. You could say we kinda discussed how the story might change if Aragorn really did fell in love with Eowyn and abandoned Arwen. I have to admit that both the Smod-atron and I were kinda cloudy headed while we were talking since it was the midnight, so we didn't really have the chance to think clearly and come up with a lot of possible consequences that might ensue. We only came up with a couple (no pun intended). stick out tongue

Today though, I was thinking more clearly (never a good idea wink ) and came up with a follow-through on the likely consequences.

Aragorn didn't pursue Eowyn for a number of reasons:

Firstly and most importantly, he was very much in love with Arwen, whereas Eowyn was just someone he met, to whom he meant no harm (if one would re-read the passage in which they meet: he's embarrassed and worried by the infatuation that he sees in her).

Secondly, he was betrothed to Arwen, which was once a commitment every bit as binding as marriage (in the Middle Ages, the betrothal was a ceremony in its own right).

Thirdly, and closely linked to the above, Aragorn is deeply indebted to Arwen's father, whom he esteems very highly, and to whom he would never consider offering such an insult as the abandonment of his daughter.

Fourthly, Aragorn is sufficiently wise to see Eowyn's infatuation as just that: a passing "crush" that would end if allowed to do so; leaving her to discover the reality of love later on. We can see that he understands this from his parting words to her on leaving for Minas Tirith.

Fifthly, of course, there's politics: if Aragorn were to break off his engagement to Arwen in Eowyn's favour, the fragile alliance between Men and Elves could collapse utterly. Aragorn has asked a lot of Elrond in asking for his daughter's hand, and to abandon her would be to throw away the greatest gift that his mentor and benefactor could offer him. Whereas Elrond might forgive, I'm not sure that all other Elves would show such wisdom. Theoden, although blameless, could either refuse the match or face the enmity of the Firstborn, becoming the loser in either case.

These things being so, in my view, the possibilities include the following:

1. Arwen dies of grief, or becomes an Elven Miss Depression. Her life is ruined, as is Elrond's. Elrond never speaks to Aragorn again, and the ties between the Elves and the Dunedain are permanently severed.

2. The bond between Rohan and Gondor is temporarily strengthened, but since Eowyn doesn't really love Aragorn, she could fall for Faramir anyway. That situation could fall out in any number of disasters, including a split between Rohan and Gondor and civil war between the King and the Steward. This assumes a victory over Sauron and Faramir's survival, but this would not be a safe assumption because...

3: Aragorn's banner is never finished. He approaches the Pelennor Fields unrecognized and his army is attacked by both sides in the confusion. Eowyn follows him rather than the Rohirrim (because they're in love), so she's on the wrong part of the field to face the Witch-King. Then Wiki defeats Minas Tirith, leading the other Nazgul to resume their search, and Sauron's Eye, which is recently preoccupied at the battle, returns to Mordor, noticing Frodo and Sam. Game, set and match to Sauron.

I doubt that I've caught all of the possibilities, but I hope that I've struck reasonably close to the mark.

It's amazing how a detail such as Aragorn falling for Eowyn might change the whole course of the story. It's even more amazing how Tolkien had interwoven everything.

But still, it would be a huge plot twist! eek!

Last edited by shadowy_blue on Jun 28th, 2005 at 01:10 AM

Old Post Jun 28th, 2005 01:06 AM
shadowy_blue is currently offline Click here to Send shadowy_blue a Private Message Find more posts by shadowy_blue Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarkC
-KMC THREAD KILLER-

Eowyn.

Bored? Amuse yourself with Tower Defense!

Old Post Jun 28th, 2005 02:07 AM
DarkC is currently offline Click here to Send DarkC a Private Message Find more posts by DarkC Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Maylien

Arwen is the best see is so cool especially the way she gave up her people and her father for the one she loved.

Old Post Jun 28th, 2005 09:56 AM
Maylien is currently offline Click here to Send Maylien a Private Message Find more posts by Maylien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth L. Dipsit
Pimp of Good

If it's from the books, then Eowyn. Arwen was not in a great deal of the books. However, in the movies, she was well-portrayed and educated me about a deeper side of Arwen (other than her being a Lúthien Tinúviel to Aragorn's Beren). This is only the impression I got, though.

Peace be with you, everyone.

Dark Helmet: "I am your father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate."

Old Post Jun 29th, 2005 06:30 AM
Darth L. Dipsit is currently offline Click here to Send Darth L. Dipsit a Private Message Find more posts by Darth L. Dipsit Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kelly_Bean
Warum ist die Sonne rund?

voted Arwen

Old Post Jul 3rd, 2005 05:15 PM
Kelly_Bean is currently offline Click here to Send Kelly_Bean a Private Message Find more posts by Kelly_Bean Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dresta

i didn't like Eowyn in the films she didn't look like a warrior as she was portrayed in the book

Old Post Jul 4th, 2005 08:53 PM
Dresta is currently offline Click here to Send Dresta a Private Message Find more posts by Dresta Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Paradox_SPR

Arwen is hot and gives up her people for Aragorn. That tqakes courage

Old Post Jul 13th, 2005 05:57 PM
Paradox_SPR is currently offline Click here to Send Paradox_SPR a Private Message Find more posts by Paradox_SPR Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Paradox_SPR

fgfdb

Old Post Jul 13th, 2005 06:02 PM
Paradox_SPR is currently offline Click here to Send Paradox_SPR a Private Message Find more posts by Paradox_SPR Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Elessea

^ why can't people come up with a thoughtful and intelligent answer to something?

Old Post Jul 13th, 2005 06:04 PM
Elessea is currently offline Click here to Send Elessea a Private Message Find more posts by Elessea Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Paradox_SPR

jgyhjty

Old Post Jul 13th, 2005 06:09 PM
Paradox_SPR

no i was testing

Old Post Jul 13th, 2005 06:09 PM
Paradox_SPR

i wanted to see what the avatar looked like

Old Post Jul 13th, 2005 06:10 PM
Paola
Ronin

^ looks fine. Now topic...

Arwen, for me. Haven't read the books so I don't like Eowyn due to the 'sub-standard script-writing' mentioned earlier in this thread.

by Scythe

Old Post Jul 13th, 2005 08:44 PM
Paola is currently offline Click here to Send Paola a Private Message Find more posts by Paola Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SkinWalker

I belive in da movies Arwen

In the books Eowyn and becuz Arwen was only metioned once in the books.

-Halle Berry's Biggest Fan.:.Thanks Piggle Humsy-

Old Post Jul 29th, 2005 05:55 PM
SkinWalker is currently offline Click here to Send SkinWalker a Private Message Find more posts by SkinWalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
billyboyd4ever
Diamond of Long Cleeve

Well Arwen is mentioned in the Appendices. They tell the story of Arwen and Aragorn..

Anyway, I like Arwen better in both. I don't know why, but for some reason I've always had an aversion to Eowyn (and Mirando Otto for that matter). Perhaps it just bugs me because I feel like she's encroaching on Arwen's guy... hmm.
Anyway, I like Liv Tyler much better, and the Arwen/Aragorn thing makes much more sense.

So as a hopeless romantic, Arwen gets my vote for both movie and book.

"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens." - J.R.R. Tolkien

*sigh* I've missed you guys.. smile

Old Post Aug 13th, 2005 05:52 PM
billyboyd4ever is currently offline Click here to Send billyboyd4ever a Private Message Find more posts by billyboyd4ever Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
elfprincess101

yeah i agree Arwen is the best and my friend thinks so too. and she says aragorn and arwen are the perfect couple!

Old Post Aug 13th, 2005 11:40 PM
elfprincess101 is currently offline Click here to Send elfprincess101 a Private Message Find more posts by elfprincess101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ilvorlandobloom

i like Eowyn better, in the movie they made the whole Eowyn-Aragorn-Arwen love triange a WAY bigger deal than it really was...kinda made me mad cuz that was the reason for a lot of Eowyn hating...but she really is a great character.
(wow, i havent been to this forum in sooo long!)

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2005 07:28 AM
ilvorlandobloom is currently offline Click here to Send ilvorlandobloom a Private Message Find more posts by ilvorlandobloom Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote