KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Movie Versus Forum » Gandalf the White vs. Voldemort

Gandalf vs. Voldemort
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Gandalf the White 58 77.33%
Voldemort 17 22.67%
Total: 75 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Gandalf the White vs. Voldemort
Started by: ESB -1138

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (10): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
ESB -1138
Sonic Speed

Gandalf the White vs. Voldemort

This is an argument me and my friend can never complete. Who would win in this battle! Gandalf the White or Voldemort. I have said Gandalf the White but he says Voldemort and then we go about showing examples and stuff and neither can come before an answer.

So who wins?

Old Post Aug 4th, 2006 12:09 AM
ESB -1138 is currently offline Click here to Send ESB -1138 a Private Message Find more posts by ESB -1138 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Final Blaxican
Restricted

Account Restricted

VOldemort wins.

His avada Kadavra thing is unblockable just about, and is an instakill, as in it kills you in a matter of seconds.

Gandaplhs got nothing on that really.

Old Post Aug 4th, 2006 06:38 AM
Final Blaxican is currently offline Click here to Send Final Blaxican a Private Message Find more posts by Final Blaxican Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
coolmovies

Gandalf the white

Old Post Aug 4th, 2006 11:22 AM
coolmovies is currently offline Click here to Send coolmovies a Private Message Find more posts by coolmovies Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ESB -1138
Sonic Speed

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Blaxican Hydra
VOldemort wins.

His avada Kadavra thing is unblockable just about, and is an instakill, as in it kills you in a matter of seconds.

Gandaplhs got nothing on that really.

Gandalf is a Maia spirit; he came back from the dead already as a more powerful person. That may work against a human but not against a divine spirit such as Gandalf the White.

Old Post Aug 4th, 2006 08:43 PM
ESB -1138 is currently offline Click here to Send ESB -1138 a Private Message Find more posts by ESB -1138 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Final Blaxican
Restricted

Account Restricted

*Gandalph comes back to life*

"I have returned to complete my task, VOldemort! Your power is-"

"Avada Kadavra!"

*Gandalph dies again.*

Repeat cycle and wash. no expression

Old Post Aug 5th, 2006 07:44 AM
Final Blaxican is currently offline Click here to Send Final Blaxican a Private Message Find more posts by Final Blaxican Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ESB -1138
Sonic Speed

*Gandalph comes back to life*

"I have returned to complete my task, VOldemort! Your power is-"

"Avada Kadavra!"

*Gandalph dies again.*

Repeat cycle and wash. no expression

That works against mortal man but against the divine spirits, that's another story. Plus Harry Potter managed to survive agains Voldemort as a mere child. Are you to say that the magic and power that Gandalf the White holds does not match that?

Old Post Aug 5th, 2006 07:54 AM
Final Blaxican
Restricted

Account Restricted

Except it wasn't Harry's doigns that saved him, it was his mother putting a love charm on him, a charm thought to be oen of the most pwoerful spells out their.

I highly doubt that anyoens goign to put a lvoe charm on a thousand year old man.

Plus, how "immortal" is gandalph? He died once, and he thougt their was a good chance he was goign to die again in Rotk. You'd think that if someone was as vastly powerful as it seems, they wouldn't be afraid of dying because of weak orcs.

Old Post Aug 5th, 2006 09:06 AM
ESB -1138
Sonic Speed

Except it wasn't Harry's doigns that saved him, it was his mother putting a love charm on him, a charm thought to be oen of the most pwoerful spells out their.

I highly doubt that anyoens goign to put a lvoe charm on a thousand year old man.

Plus, how "immortal" is gandalph? He died once, and he thougt their was a good chance he was goign to die again in Rotk. You'd think that if someone was as vastly powerful as it seems, they wouldn't be afraid of dying because of weak orcs.

Weak orcs that outnumbered an army of 6,000: 1 to 10. With the terrible Ringwraiths close at hand. With Trolls and the men from the east. And the chances that Frodo might have been found/killed and the One Ring coming to Sauron.

Gandalf cast his own spell that saved his life against the Balrog in the mines of Moria. The strongest spell in "Harry Potter" isn't the strongest spell in Middle-Earth. Gandalf said "your staff is broken" and Saruman's staff broke. Saruman, a powerful wizard.

Gandalf also defeated Aragon, Legolas, and Gimli without trying to kill them. Gandalf was able to move about the land basically invisible. Gandalf is an immortal being that took on human form.

And how does that spell of Voldemort's work?

Old Post Aug 5th, 2006 09:27 AM
Final Blaxican
Restricted

Account Restricted

Weak orcs that outnumbered an army of 6,000: 1 to 10. With the terrible Ringwraiths close at hand. With Trolls and the men from the east. And the chances that Frodo might have been found/killed and the One Ring coming to Sauron.

Hm...thats funny. Him being immortal and all, why couldn't he just call down some lightning? Or use the flame of arnor?

Gandalf cast his own spell that saved his life against the Balrog in the mines of Moria

Hm..thats strange considering he died, and was brought back only to fulfill his last part in Middle Earth.

The strongest spell in "Harry Potter" isn't the strongest spell in Middle-Earth.
Unfounded and unsupported.

Gandalf said "your staff is broken" and Saruman's staff broke. Saruman, a powerful wizard.

Yeah this is the same fool who was also WTFpwnd by the Witch King, and was also in turn WTFpwnd by Sarumon not to long before that. I honestly don't find any of Gandalphs magic intresting.

Gandalf also defeated Aragon, Legolas, and Gimli without trying to kill them. Gandalf was able to move about the land basically invisible. Gandalf is an immortal being that took on human form.

Immortal? Than why does he die, and why does he think he mght very well die? Your contradicting yourself.

And how does that spell of Voldemort's work?

I myself am not sure, the book only describes it as near unblockable and an insta-kill.

Old Post Aug 5th, 2006 09:46 AM
ESB -1138
Sonic Speed

Hm...thats funny. Him being immortal and all, why couldn't he just call down some lightning? Or use the flame of arnor?

The flame of Anor the Sacred Fire of Udûl is a mystery to all but Tolkien. The battle between Gandalf and the Nine could have been seen far off due to all the flashes of light which could have been light or explosions; the book doesn't say.

Hm..thats strange considering he died, and was brought back only to fulfill his last part in Middle Earth.

Only his flesh can die. Gandalf came to Middle-Earth and took the form of an old man. His spirit cannot be destroyed.

Yeah this is the same fool who was also WTFpwnd by the Witch King, and was also in turn WTFpwnd by Sarumon not to long before that. I honestly don't find any of Gandalphs magic intresting.

When did Gandalf fight the Witch-King?

Immortal? Than why does he die, and why does he think he mght very well die? Your contradicting yourself.

His body dies but his spirit should have returned to the Undying Lands but he was sent back by the Valar like he did when he was first sent there

I myself am not sure, the book only describes it as near unblockable and an insta-kill.

None of the books describe what is happening during this move? Perhaps if we had a passage describing it we could uncover some truth behind it.

Last edited by ESB -1138 on Aug 5th, 2006 at 01:05 PM

Old Post Aug 5th, 2006 12:59 PM
ESB -1138
Sonic Speed

Doesn't Voldemort's power come from his wand?

Old Post Aug 5th, 2006 01:16 PM
Rogal Dorn
Mahal

Whilst I am on ESB's side with this personally it is looked upon that Gandalf was sent back directly by Eru, not the Valar. Whilst the Valar were only concerned with that which lives in middle earth and their doing it is seen by many lore masters I know that to send Gandalf back would need a greater involvement of the most highest power. It is seen that Gandalf met Eru outside the circles of the world and was sent back soley by him.

In other areas the point about Voldermorts power being at least channeled through his wand is interesting I do not claim to be an expert on Harry Potter but I have no seen any instant where a wizard may use power especially the killing curse without use of a wand. Wheras I have seen evidence of Gandalf (please not the spelling with an f not a ph) using spells without using his staff. And ESB is quite right Gandalf and the Witch King never fought.

I think the only description of the killing curse I've read is that a green flash eminates from the tip of the wand, it strikes its target and the target falls down dead. As Gandalfs flesh could die this would kill his physical form but his spirit form would last on.

Yet the making of things is in my heart from my own making by thee; and the child of little understanding that makes a play of the deeds of his father may do so without without thought of mockery, but because he is the son of his father.

Old Post Aug 5th, 2006 01:48 PM
Rogal Dorn is currently offline Click here to Send Rogal Dorn a Private Message Find more posts by Rogal Dorn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ESB -1138
Sonic Speed

In other areas the point about Voldermorts power being at least channeled through his wand is interesting I do not claim to be an expert on Harry Potter but I have no seen any instant where a wizard may use power especially the killing curse without use of a wand. Wheras I have seen evidence of Gandalf (please not the spelling with an f not a ph) using spells without using his staff. And ESB is quite right Gandalf and the Witch King never fought.

The power comes from the wand. And Gandalf the White has proven already that he can easily disarmed (like he did Aragon) or destroy (like he did Saruman) objects even one like Saruman's staff which would be just like a wizard's wand.

Old Post Aug 5th, 2006 03:10 PM
Rogal Dorn
Mahal

So without the wand Voldermort would be essentially powerless.

Yet the making of things is in my heart from my own making by thee; and the child of little understanding that makes a play of the deeds of his father may do so without without thought of mockery, but because he is the son of his father.

Old Post Aug 5th, 2006 05:02 PM
Rogal Dorn is currently offline Click here to Send Rogal Dorn a Private Message Find more posts by Rogal Dorn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ESB -1138
Sonic Speed

Seems so. Every spell I have ever seen or heard about in Harry Potter involved the use of a wand.

Old Post Aug 5th, 2006 05:19 PM
Rogal Dorn
Mahal

Ah and if I remember was it Ron's or Neville's wand that breaks and has to be taped back together or something and all his spells start going even more wrong? Or am I making that up?

Old Post Aug 5th, 2006 05:32 PM
ESB -1138
Sonic Speed

No, I think that happened.

Old Post Aug 5th, 2006 05:51 PM
maham

I think Gandalf's more powerful.Voldy's nothin in front of him!

Old Post Aug 5th, 2006 06:39 PM
maham is currently offline Click here to Send maham a Private Message Find more posts by maham Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Final Blaxican
Restricted

Account Restricted

And what makes you think Gandalph can even break his wand?

HE was obviously more powerful than Aragorn and the rest of the fellowship, and because he defeated the Balrog and came back as white instead of grey he was able to break Sarumons Staff because of his new found power.

However simply saying Gandalph can break ANYONES staff no matter how powerful they are is just pure speculation, and as such needs proof to back up your statements.

Also, have we ever seen gandalph do any attacks out of his physical form? Have we seen any Mair attack anyone out of their phsycial form?

Old Post Aug 5th, 2006 09:22 PM
kamikz
A.I.M Mercenary

Actually, Voldemort doesn't need a wand to perform magic, there are courses how to learn and use magic without them, and Voldemort was one of the most gifted of all students, so he knew them pretty well. Harry, even when he didn't know any, used magic without a wand...

Necessity is the mother of inventions.
(Don't be a pig, get an Icejaw sig.)

Old Post Aug 7th, 2006 11:26 AM
kamikz is currently offline Click here to Send kamikz a Private Message Find more posts by kamikz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote