KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Lord of the Rings » How much can elves change?

How much can elves change?
Started by: Draugwen

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Draugwen
The Wanderer

Worried How much can elves change?

All right, this question might probably sound a little weird... Just think of an elf (elf A) that got to know another elf (elf B) while elf A was still a child, let's say at about the end of the First Age. Then they get parted for some reason and meet again shortly before the end of the Second Age. Supposing elf B has gone through a hard time and that changed him a lot, do you think elf A would still recognize him? Do you think an elf would be able to change so much, or maybe make himself appear changed, that another whom he's lived together with for some years wouldn't recognize him any more? Even if they lived together for some centuries maybe?
Ahm... guess I am confusing... confused Anyone able to help me?

Old Post Aug 7th, 2006 11:08 PM
Draugwen is currently offline Click here to Send Draugwen a Private Message Find more posts by Draugwen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rogal Dorn
Mahal

I don't think they can, unlike humans I think it is harder for the elven folk to change their natural appearance. For example they do not even begin to grow beards until their third cycle of life. Elrond hasn't even reached this stage yet. Only Cirdan the Shipwright is seen in the main story as the only elf with a beard. Whilst becoming world weary can age and change an elfs looks to some degree I don't think personally they would change that much so as not to be recognised.

Yet the making of things is in my heart from my own making by thee; and the child of little understanding that makes a play of the deeds of his father may do so without without thought of mockery, but because he is the son of his father.

Old Post Aug 8th, 2006 02:07 PM
Rogal Dorn is currently offline Click here to Send Rogal Dorn a Private Message Find more posts by Rogal Dorn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Rover

Elf-bodies can endure much more physical- and emotial-pain than can those of humans, although they doubtless endure far more over the years.

For reference and more info., I'd suggest reading the essay entitled "Laws and Customs of the Eldar" given in Morgoth's Ring, (pp.207-253).

Old Post Aug 9th, 2006 07:01 PM
The Rover is currently offline Click here to Send The Rover a Private Message Find more posts by The Rover Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Draugwen
The Wanderer

Gotta have that first before I can read it stick out tongue But thanks you two, your answers were helping me a lot big grin

Old Post Aug 10th, 2006 12:34 PM
Draugwen is currently offline Click here to Send Draugwen a Private Message Find more posts by Draugwen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Rover

laughing out loud

I'd quote, but I'd like to not be sued. stick out tongue

Old Post Aug 11th, 2006 09:23 PM
The Rover is currently offline Click here to Send The Rover a Private Message Find more posts by The Rover Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote