KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Lord of the Rings » Wizard colors

Wizard colors
Started by: Darth Grathius

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Darth Grathius

Wizard colors

In Lord of the Rings the Wizards have a name and then a color, I was wondering if those colors held significance to a rank if so please tell me.

Old Post Aug 20th, 2006 02:09 PM
Darth Grathius is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Grathius a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Grathius Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rogal Dorn
Mahal

They do and they don't just to be awkward. Gandalf the Grey is seen to be wearing grey even before he came to Middle-Earth as the Maia named Olorin he is seen to be waring grey. Radagast, called Aiwendil in the West wears brown this is mostly due to his earthly nature and his harmony with land and beast rather than rank.

Saurman, Curumo in the West wore White. The council was called "The White Council" and Saurman was its head this is the only colour that may be seen as defining rank, the fact that Gandalf takes up the white robes is more symbolic of him replacing Saurman and taking over as head of the order. There are also two Blue Wizards Alatar and Pallando the blue robes they wore don't seem to show any specific significance.

There is also a possibility that robe colours could be drawn up primarily to the Valar division they were in (excluding the White)

Olorin/Gandalf: Manwe and Varda
Radagast: Yavanna
Alatar and Pallando: Orome

Its also interesting to note that Curumo/Saurman was a Maia of Aule the Smith. As was Sauron. Both fell to darkness, this could be something to due with the nature of Aule as even though they were not in Erus plan Aule made the Dwarven folk and Eru chose to gave them life. Whilst the Maia of Aule would not have his control and may be more likley to fall to darkness.

Yet the making of things is in my heart from my own making by thee; and the child of little understanding that makes a play of the deeds of his father may do so without without thought of mockery, but because he is the son of his father.

Old Post Aug 20th, 2006 02:20 PM
Rogal Dorn is currently offline Click here to Send Rogal Dorn a Private Message Find more posts by Rogal Dorn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ESB -1138
Sonic Speed

And it could have something to do with Saruman wanting more power and denying Saruman the White to go with Saruman of the Many Colours. He wanted the One Ring and was mad that Gandalf recieved an Elven Ring of power and he didn't.

Old Post Aug 21st, 2006 06:47 PM
ESB -1138 is currently offline Click here to Send ESB -1138 a Private Message Find more posts by ESB -1138 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote