KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Lord of the Rings » fingolfin the "godlike fighter"

fingolfin the "godlike fighter"
Started by: vanice

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
vanice
traceur

Question fingolfin the "godlike fighter"

I've had a debate on an other forum with fingolfin involved. and it seems like everybody treats him like he was some kind of god just because he was able to wound morgoth a couple of times and maim him for his life. he suffered a terrible death. he wasn't better then any other elf, my opinion. the bed wound on morgoth was because of fingolfins sword ringil. I bet if aragorn had fought morgoth the exact same thing would have happened. but can you come up with any reason why many see fingolfin as the best swordsman and fighter in arda ever. and I hate to say it but there seems to be a lot of fanboys in fingolfins favour. so tell me what so good about him.

Old Post Sep 26th, 2006 06:52 AM
vanice is currently offline Click here to Send vanice a Private Message Find more posts by vanice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
kamikz
A.I.M Mercenary

Well I at least don't see him as a god like fighter or all powerfull. I guess he was pretty good, probably around one of the best fighters of middle-earth, but not near anything beyond of what a normal elf COULD become really...

My 3000 post!!!!

Necessity is the mother of inventions.
(Don't be a pig, get an Icejaw sig.)

Old Post Sep 26th, 2006 07:59 PM
kamikz is currently offline Click here to Send kamikz a Private Message Find more posts by kamikz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
vanice
traceur

Thanks, that was the answer I was looking after. He probably is comparable with Aragorn and such, but he is not the best sword fighter ever walked arda.

rock congratulations rock

keep up the good work lad.

Old Post Sep 26th, 2006 08:05 PM
vanice is currently offline Click here to Send vanice a Private Message Find more posts by vanice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
kamikz
A.I.M Mercenary

'Anks m8....stick out tongue

Old Post Sep 26th, 2006 08:06 PM
kamikz is currently offline Click here to Send kamikz a Private Message Find more posts by kamikz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ESB -1138
Sonic Speed

Fingolfin had to be pretty good even to wound a weakened Morgoth seven times. But Fingolfin I don't see Fingolfin being the best swordsman on Middle-Earth. I actually see Aragon being better then him for Aragon was taught by the Elves.

Old Post Sep 26th, 2006 08:57 PM
ESB -1138 is currently offline Click here to Send ESB -1138 a Private Message Find more posts by ESB -1138 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
kamikz
A.I.M Mercenary

I agree very much with you ESB!

Old Post Sep 26th, 2006 09:02 PM
vanice
traceur

well we know a lot more about aragorn then fingolfin but still, yes I agree. I also thing aragorn is better.

Old Post Sep 26th, 2006 09:06 PM
Final Blaxican
Restricted

Account Restricted

I dont know what you all are talking about.

Samwise was obviously the best swordsman. Melkor's just lucky he didn't have to fight any hobbits during dagor somethingoldladyhacks or he would have been screwed a long time ago.

Old Post Sep 27th, 2006 01:39 AM
Final Blaxican is currently offline Click here to Send Final Blaxican a Private Message Find more posts by Final Blaxican Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
kamikz
A.I.M Mercenary

Definently.... stick out tongue

Old Post Sep 27th, 2006 07:31 AM
it_wasn't_me

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Blax X
I dont know what you all are talking about.

Samwise was obviously the best swordsman. Melkor's just lucky he didn't have to fight any hobbits during dagor somethingoldladyhacks or he would have been screwed a long time ago.

yeaaah, samwise is trained by his father

Old Post Oct 7th, 2006 04:28 PM
it_wasn't_me is currently offline Click here to Send it_wasn't_me a Private Message Find more posts by it_wasn't_me Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
thtadthtshldntb

Fingolfin was not even the most powerful elf, that was Feanor. And the battle between Fingolfin and Morgoth occured after Morgath was virtually powerless.

J.R.R. Tolkien, "Of Beren and Luthien" from the Silmarilion

Old Post Oct 7th, 2006 04:53 PM
thtadthtshldntb is currently offline Click here to Send thtadthtshldntb a Private Message Find more posts by thtadthtshldntb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
it_wasn't_me

can you prof thats feanor is the most powerful?

Old Post Oct 8th, 2006 04:23 PM
it_wasn't_me is currently offline Click here to Send it_wasn't_me a Private Message Find more posts by it_wasn't_me Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rogal Dorn
Mahal

Feanor was the most gifted in the crafts as taught to the Noldor by Aule (Mahal as he was called by the Dwarves) Feanor probably had the most raw power however physical/combat prowess is a different thing. Even after his was slain it is noted that his spirit was so fierce his body was consumed by flame.

Yet the making of things is in my heart from my own making by thee; and the child of little understanding that makes a play of the deeds of his father may do so without without thought of mockery, but because he is the son of his father.

Old Post Oct 8th, 2006 08:19 PM
Rogal Dorn is currently offline Click here to Send Rogal Dorn a Private Message Find more posts by Rogal Dorn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
vanice
traceur

Yeah, it was he who made the silmarills. but this is about fingolfin, and it seems like no one can find a reason for why he's so overated.

Old Post Oct 15th, 2006 05:46 PM
Nellinator
Crazy Canuck

Originally posted by ESB -1138
Fingolfin had to be pretty good even to wound a weakened Morgoth seven times. But Fingolfin I don't see Fingolfin being the best swordsman on Middle-Earth. I actually see Aragon being better then him for Aragon was taught by the Elves.

Elves stated to be weaker than when they first came to middle-earth. Few elves of Valinor are left when Aragorn is trained. The Ringwraiths feared Glorfindel far more than they did Aragorn. Plus, I don't think that Aragorn would stand a chance against a Balrog, or he might have tried to help Gandalf. That said, I don't think Glorfindel is comparable to Fingolfin as Fingolfin was great amongst the great elves. However, he is not god like. A few people that are comparable to him would be:
Feanor, Finrod, Maeglin, Fingon, Mablung, Beleg, Ecthelion, Glorfindel of Gondolin, Hurin, Turin, Tuor

Old Post Oct 16th, 2006 02:18 AM
Nellinator is currently offline Click here to Send Nellinator a Private Message Find more posts by Nellinator Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rogal Dorn
Mahal

Its debated hotly among people if Glorfindel of Gondolin and Glorfindel of Rivendell are one and the same, whilst it is agreed by many that this is one of those cases where you have to make up your own mind there is a strong case that it seems later Tolkein was not happy that Glorfindel of Rivendell was simply named after the earlier elf and as such had him return from Valinor with near Maia like levels of power thusly why the Wraiths feared him. But as I said it is strongly debated still both the Glorfindel's were very powerful.

Yet the making of things is in my heart from my own making by thee; and the child of little understanding that makes a play of the deeds of his father may do so without without thought of mockery, but because he is the son of his father.

Old Post Oct 16th, 2006 08:43 PM
Rogal Dorn is currently offline Click here to Send Rogal Dorn a Private Message Find more posts by Rogal Dorn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
vanice
traceur

yeah, it's an interesting point of view indeed.

Old Post Oct 16th, 2006 08:48 PM
kamikz
A.I.M Mercenary

Originally posted by Nellinator
Elves stated to be weaker than when they first came to middle-earth. Few elves of Valinor are left when Aragorn is trained. The Ringwraiths feared Glorfindel far more than they did Aragorn. Plus, I don't think that Aragorn would stand a chance against a Balrog, or he might have tried to help Gandalf. That said, I don't think Glorfindel is comparable to Fingolfin as Fingolfin was great amongst the great elves. However, he is not god like. A few people that are comparable to him would be:
Feanor, Finrod, Maeglin, Fingon, Mablung, Beleg, Ecthelion, Glorfindel of Gondolin, Hurin, Turin, Tuor

Aragon did try to help Gandalf, as stated in the books he and Boromir stayed to help him, and was about to run out on the bridge, then Gandalf let out a cry and slammed his staff into the bridge, making it crumble and fall.....

Besides, many of the reasons that people can't combat Balrogs is because they don't have the necessary weapons to kill it effectivley....

Old Post Oct 17th, 2006 10:18 PM
Nellinator
Crazy Canuck

Originally posted by kamikz
Aragon did try to help Gandalf, as stated in the books he and Boromir stayed to help him, and was about to run out on the bridge, then Gandalf let out a cry and slammed his staff into the bridge, making it crumble and fall.....

Besides, many of the reasons that people can't combat Balrogs is because they don't have the necessary weapons to kill it effectivley....

You don't need anything special to kill a Balrog. How else would Ecthelion have killed one? The Balrog was beyond either Boromir or Aragorn to combat and Gandalf knew this.

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2006 08:31 AM
Nellinator is currently offline Click here to Send Nellinator a Private Message Find more posts by Nellinator Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
kamikz
A.I.M Mercenary

"Swords are to no use here". Prove how Echtellion was beyond the fellowship except Gandalf together in combat skills....

And Echtellion had elvish weapons, which were magical. And he drowned Gothmog so....

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2006 12:49 PM