KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Lord of the Rings » Ugluk vs lurtz then ugluk vs gothmog (orc)

Ugluk vs lurtz then ugluk vs gothmog (orc)
Started by: 08juggernaut

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
08juggernaut

Ugluk vs lurtz then ugluk vs gothmog (orc)

who takes it?

Old Post Sep 26th, 2006 07:07 PM
08juggernaut is currently offline Click here to Send 08juggernaut a Private Message Find more posts by 08juggernaut Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
kamikz
A.I.M Mercenary

I don't know, Lurtz was damn skilled, wasn't he the first Uruk-Hai that Saruman created? (It looked like that in the film at least, and since he does not exist in the book....)
Well since he was able to duke it out for a short while with Aragorn, while others died like flies, I'd say Lurtz take it. The orc Gothmog.... I have no idea who he is, so I can't say...

Necessity is the mother of inventions.
(Don't be a pig, get an Icejaw sig.)

Old Post Sep 26th, 2006 07:36 PM
kamikz is currently offline Click here to Send kamikz a Private Message Find more posts by kamikz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
vanice
traceur

It's hard to tell... Ugluk and Lurtz are pretty much the same. because there is no lurtz in the books, and ugluk is the leader of the uruk-hai who captured merry and pippin. so the should be equally good. now peter jackson has made this lurtz figure, and he is a good fighter. and P J's ugluk probably is the orc who leads the group of uruks in the two towers. further more, we don't know anything about ugluks skills... well I think lurtz takes him out. he's a lot better then normal uruk-hai.

can't remember ever hearing about an orc named gothmog...

Old Post Sep 27th, 2006 01:52 PM
vanice is currently offline Click here to Send vanice a Private Message Find more posts by vanice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Council#13
The Omega Male

Apparently Gothmog is that really ugly one that led the Seige of Minas Tirith in the movie

"Today was good. Today was fun. Tomorrow is another one." -Dr. Seuss

Old Post Sep 27th, 2006 02:31 PM
Council#13 is currently offline Click here to Send Council#13 a Private Message Find more posts by Council#13 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
vanice
traceur

another made up? ok well he sucks. I mean he's crippled nad stuff, ugluk wins.

Old Post Sep 27th, 2006 02:55 PM
vanice is currently offline Click here to Send vanice a Private Message Find more posts by vanice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ESB -1138
Sonic Speed

quote: (post)
Originally posted by vanice
another made up? ok well he sucks. I mean he's crippled nad stuff, ugluk wins.

Gothmog was in the books as well. After the Witch-king died he took command of the armies of Minas Morgul.

Old Post Sep 27th, 2006 07:26 PM
ESB -1138 is currently offline Click here to Send ESB -1138 a Private Message Find more posts by ESB -1138 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
vanice
traceur

ok, thanks for the help. peter Jackson must have changed the story though. giving gothmog a bigger role. because he seems to bee the one leading the attack on osgiliath. just wondering, kinda off topic, but what happened to the witch-king. he couldn't have died. his life was bound to the ring as well. well, he left the battle field. that's for sure.

Old Post Sep 27th, 2006 08:43 PM
kamikz
A.I.M Mercenary

I think the book makes it pretty clear that he does die....

(Translated directly from the Swedish version)

"His robe and crown was now empty, formless where they laid on the ground broken, and a cry in the air faded away in a moaning shriek, and was carried away by the wind, a voice without a body, a thin and terrible voice that faded away and was consumed by space and never to be heard of again...."

I think it's pretty clear that he died, at least in a way that spirits die. Either way, he would never return...

Old Post Sep 27th, 2006 08:59 PM
kamikz is currently offline Click here to Send kamikz a Private Message Find more posts by kamikz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ESB -1138
Sonic Speed

Originally posted by kamikz

"His robe and crown was now empty, formless where they laid on the ground broken, and a cry in the air faded away in a moaning shriek, and was carried away by the wind, a voice without a body, a thin and terrible voice that faded away and was consumed by space and never to be heard of again...."

I think it's pretty clear that he died, at least in a way that spirits die. Either way, he would never return...

If Sauron did regain the One Ring he might have returned.

Old Post Sep 28th, 2006 12:24 AM
ESB -1138 is currently offline Click here to Send ESB -1138 a Private Message Find more posts by ESB -1138 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
kamikz
A.I.M Mercenary

Maybe, maybe not.

Old Post Sep 28th, 2006 11:30 AM
vanice
traceur

Originally posted by kamikz

my interpretation of that quote is that he made an awful cry of pain and then disappeared. his spirit should have survived though, but just like sauron he can never take physical form again unless he or sauron gets the ring. nor can he die unless the ring is destroyed.

Old Post Sep 28th, 2006 08:39 PM
kamikz
A.I.M Mercenary

Well then the point is still irrelivent, since he ain't coming back no more...

Old Post Sep 28th, 2006 08:49 PM
Rogal Dorn
Mahal

It could be possible that the Witch-King in that instant was sent to the Void the same place that the fates of Morgoth, Sauron and the other Eight will take them. Whilst he would not be "dead" his spirit would be held in the void until the Dagor Dagorath. When upon then it is possible, he could return.

Yet the making of things is in my heart from my own making by thee; and the child of little understanding that makes a play of the deeds of his father may do so without without thought of mockery, but because he is the son of his father.

Old Post Oct 1st, 2006 12:01 PM
Rogal Dorn is currently offline Click here to Send Rogal Dorn a Private Message Find more posts by Rogal Dorn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
kamikz
A.I.M Mercenary

So he was "dead", at least in the mortal world for the time being. Which was the point of the whole thing.... :/

Old Post Oct 1st, 2006 07:03 PM
Rogal Dorn
Mahal

I'm just evolving the topic, I accept totally that he was destroyed at least temporarily.

Yet the making of things is in my heart from my own making by thee; and the child of little understanding that makes a play of the deeds of his father may do so without without thought of mockery, but because he is the son of his father.

Old Post Oct 1st, 2006 10:02 PM
Rogal Dorn is currently offline Click here to Send Rogal Dorn a Private Message Find more posts by Rogal Dorn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Hammad Ahsan

Well, I agree with the Fallen's theory as the it seems the most logical, still, I would say that weren't the minions of Melkor the one's who were supposed to return on the Day of Dagor Dagorath, and as to the other freinds on the forum, Ugluk isn't as bad as PJ made him and also, PJ gave most of the part of Ugluk to Lurtz, so Lurtz was just a substitution in the movie, the rest about the battle , you can do the imagery in your mind.

All said and done, I'd say that Ugluk would Win and as I haven't read LOTR since ages past, I can't comment about Gothmog, though the name is one to instill fear in a foes mind, I would not comment on his battle prowess and move on and say that not all strategic geniuses are good warriors, Sauron and Melkor are ample examples though the latter was much more than that.

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2006 02:52 PM
Hammad Ahsan is currently offline Click here to Send Hammad Ahsan a Private Message Find more posts by Hammad Ahsan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
adi gallia

With where lurtz' character comes in compared to ugluk's, it was clear that lurtz was meant to be the last big bad apart from the balrog and nazgul that the fellowship would face together, the new threat that would up-end things and leave the cliffhanger for the next part. with ugluk's introduction we see him in a fairly less threatening position running away from gimli, legolas and aragorn, having already been introduced to the uruks and its a matter of time before they are overcome as an obstacle for the heroes and aren't even killed by the main characters trying to rescue their captives. ugluk is not a big baddie and is never presented as one- so the optics from the outset have favoured lurtz to be more memorable and striking.

Ugluk apart from manhandling other orcs has not been shown using much physical strength but offscreen forced eomer to dismount his horse near fangorn before he was ultimately killed along with his whole company. he argued with another company of lesser mordor orcs about which group had the right to take the captive hobbits, more in the extended, and that shows that ugluk is big, brutish and can dominate other orcs and subordinates physically and verbally, and he leads the troops in a quickened pace with diligence before reluctantly settling down to camp outside fangorn when other orcs complained. a very different leader is seen with ugluk than with lurtz, one that can compromise, control his temper, share a laugh with his company when trying to force feed pippin, and negotiate albeit with hostility when rival orcs challenge his authority- not resorting to an all out massacre, which lurtz would seem all too happy to do.
ugluk's focus when we see him is never on tasting man flesh or fighting any people, because his mission is solely to deliver the captives to isengard which he tries to see through with discipline but also and a strong will for an orc- a trait similar to lurtz but in critically different areas of focus.

Lurtz has snapped an orc's windpipe, picked up and thrown aragorn, when pushing in a sword cross, he sent him flying back into a tree 5 metres away and under his leadership they captured the supposed hobbits and killed a crucial member of the fellowship himself ensuring the company got away- all without resting. interesting to note that in both films saruman's uruks were seen being brutally injured and killed, saruman told them at the beginning- the scouts in particular, but possibly all others thereafter, they do not know fear or pain- either as a command or a statement.. and the only one of their number that exemplified that in any way apart from the special berserkers much later, was lurtz. it doesn't matter an awful lot in the end, but it speaks to the character of lurtz and his intensity, determination, endurance that even in the inevitable end, he still won't stop until you take his head off.

Old Post Jan 15th, 2023 09:44 AM
adi gallia is currently offline Click here to Send adi gallia a Private Message Find more posts by adi gallia Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

Good post.

Only thing that needs to be added is that Jackson intended Lurtz to be the first and the most powerful of Saruman's Uruk-hai.

His on-screen feats prove it correct.

Old Post Jan 16th, 2023 04:47 PM
StiltmanFTW is currently offline Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FalconPaunch!
Show me your moves

Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
Good post.

Only thing that needs to be added is a moustaaaaaaaaaache.
I agree. smile

Old Post Jun 1st, 2023 09:19 AM
FalconPaunch! is currently offline Click here to Send FalconPaunch! a Private Message Find more posts by FalconPaunch! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote