KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Lord of the Rings » How old is gandalf?

How old is gandalf?
Started by: coolmovies

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
coolmovies

How old is gandalf?

Hobbits have long lives so i was wondring how old is gandalf . Bilbo baggins was his old friend ? roll eyes (sarcastic)

Old Post Nov 25th, 2006 08:03 PM
coolmovies is currently offline Click here to Send coolmovies a Private Message Find more posts by coolmovies Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rogal Dorn
Mahal

Depends, Gandalf as the Maia Olorin is immortal. He existed when Middle-Earth was born and will exist when it comes to its end. As Gandalf the old Wizard who travelled across Middle-Earth probably about 2,021 years old. From his arrival in ME in the year 1000 of the Third Age to his departure to the West in the year 3021 Third Age.

Yet the making of things is in my heart from my own making by thee; and the child of little understanding that makes a play of the deeds of his father may do so without without thought of mockery, but because he is the son of his father.

Old Post Nov 25th, 2006 08:12 PM
Rogal Dorn is currently offline Click here to Send Rogal Dorn a Private Message Find more posts by Rogal Dorn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
coolmovies

wow thanks alot must be the oldest person ever !!

Old Post Nov 25th, 2006 09:55 PM
coolmovies is currently offline Click here to Send coolmovies a Private Message Find more posts by coolmovies Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Council#13
The Omega Male

Radagast is about the same age, as they arrived together, right? Actually, Radagast would be older by a few seconds, as he got off the boat before Gandalf! stick out tongue

"Today was good. Today was fun. Tomorrow is another one." -Dr. Seuss

Old Post Nov 26th, 2006 01:40 AM
Council#13 is currently offline Click here to Send Council#13 a Private Message Find more posts by Council#13 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rampant ox

How old does that make Saruman then?

Old Post Nov 26th, 2006 06:50 AM
Rampant ox is currently offline Click here to Send Rampant ox a Private Message Find more posts by Rampant ox Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rogal Dorn
Mahal

Saurman would be the same age (around 2,000 years from 1,000 3rd Age to 3019 3rd age), Saurman was the first to get off the boat/arrive as we know Gandalf arrived last and looked the least of them. Grey haired and clad in grey leaning upon a staff.

All the Five Istari's Mortal bodies would be the same age, but we know not what happened to the two Blue Wizards and Saurman was slain. Their spirits however are immortal.

Yet the making of things is in my heart from my own making by thee; and the child of little understanding that makes a play of the deeds of his father may do so without without thought of mockery, but because he is the son of his father.

Old Post Nov 26th, 2006 01:53 PM
Rogal Dorn is currently offline Click here to Send Rogal Dorn a Private Message Find more posts by Rogal Dorn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
vanice
traceur

yup, it just came to my mind. In the two towers movie, gandalf says something like "three ages have I walked this earth, and now I am lack of time". can't remember if he does in the book. however I don't know how many years an "age" is so this doesn't mean anything. It's just the number three that confused me a little.

Old Post Nov 26th, 2006 02:07 PM
vanice is currently offline Click here to Send vanice a Private Message Find more posts by vanice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Light Warrior

quote: (post)
Originally posted by coolmovies
wow thanks alot must be the oldest person ever !!

He and all mayas..

The Guardeen has croxxed da gote

[b][color=brown]A tvviizt myth.

Old Post Nov 28th, 2006 07:11 PM
Light Warrior is currently offline Click here to Send Light Warrior a Private Message Find more posts by Light Warrior Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rogal Dorn
Mahal

Although Tom Bombadil is older, the oldest actually. Tom was around before anything if I remember correctly. He is also the only being able to full resist the pull of the one ring. He could hold it or look upon it without feeling its pull because no part of his being desired it. Or the power it could bring.

Old Post Nov 28th, 2006 09:32 PM
thtadthtshldntb

Eru Illuvatar is the oldest being, he created all the Ainur (the Valar and the Maiar are the Ainur who went into Creation to shape it after its Creation).

Tom Bombadil is not a maia as far as I know. I think Tom Bombadil is something like the Ents and the great Eagles, elemental spirits created by Eru or the Valar to serve a certain purpose.

J.R.R. Tolkien, "Of Beren and Luthien" from the Silmarilion

Old Post Nov 29th, 2006 06:52 PM
thtadthtshldntb is currently offline Click here to Send thtadthtshldntb a Private Message Find more posts by thtadthtshldntb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rogal Dorn
Mahal

Tom is however still the Eldest being in Middle-Earth he says so himself. He is also one the purest. No one truly knows what Tom Bombadil is, he is an engima if hes a Maia or not we don't know its left for us to decide for ourselves really.

Old Post Nov 29th, 2006 11:59 PM
thtadthtshldntb

Originally posted by thefallen544
Tom is however still the Eldest being in Middle-Earth he says so himself. He is also one the purest. No one truly knows what Tom Bombadil is, he is an engima if hes a Maia or not we don't know its left for us to decide for ourselves really.

But Gandalf and all the Valar and Maiar are themselves older than Middle Earth...

So either Tom Babadil is Eru Illuvater or he simply means he is the oldest being who was born on Middle Earth.

Old Post Nov 30th, 2006 12:57 AM
thtadthtshldntb is currently offline Click here to Send thtadthtshldntb a Private Message Find more posts by thtadthtshldntb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rogal Dorn
Mahal

The spirit Olorin is older than Middle-Earth. Gandalf as he existed in Middle-Earth is about 2,000. Tom seems to state that he was there at the very beginning of creation that he was not born per se. I seem to him saying he remembers the first rain drop at some point...must find quote.

Old Post Nov 30th, 2006 03:03 PM
Dresta

Originally posted by thefallen544
Saurman would be the same age (around 2,000 years from 1,000 3rd Age to 3019 3rd age), Saurman was the first to get off the boat/arrive as we know Gandalf arrived last and looked the least of them. Grey haired and clad in grey leaning upon a staff.

All the Five Istari's Mortal bodies would be the same age, but we know not what happened to the two Blue Wizards and Saurman was slain. Their spirits however are immortal.

So what happens to Sarumans spirit after he is killed.

Old Post Dec 8th, 2006 07:14 PM
Dresta is currently offline Click here to Send Dresta a Private Message Find more posts by Dresta Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
thtadthtshldntb

It goes to the Undying Lands and reincarnates. Then Saruman answers to Aule.

Old Post Dec 9th, 2006 05:38 AM
Dresta

he probably got ***** slapped

Old Post Dec 10th, 2006 01:48 AM
Dresta is currently offline Click here to Send Dresta a Private Message Find more posts by Dresta Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rogal Dorn
Mahal

It is also suggested that Saurmans spirit was too weak from his fall, that he was never to return to the blessed realm, that he would have been subjected to the same fate as Sauron a weak spirit. This is implied because his spirit in a grey mist is seen to rise from his body and quote

"as a pale shrouded figure it loomed over the Hill. For a moment it wavered, looking to the West; but out of the West came a cold wind, and it bent away, and with a sigh dissolved into nothing." ROTK, Scouring of the Shire.

I put it forward that Saurman/Curumo did not return to the West for he failed and fell into darkness. Only Gandalf/Olorin is confirmed to have returned to the West from where he came.

Old Post Dec 10th, 2006 03:15 PM
Dusty

700, I believe.

Oh wait, I'm thinking about Belgarath. Nevermind.

Old Post Dec 10th, 2006 04:05 PM
Dusty is currently offline Click here to Send Dusty a Private Message Find more posts by Dusty Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Draugwen
The Wanderer

Wrong books, Dusty stick out tongue Gandalf is just a teeny bit older^^

Old Post Dec 11th, 2006 12:24 AM
Draugwen is currently offline Click here to Send Draugwen a Private Message Find more posts by Draugwen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ESB -1138
Sonic Speed

Didn't he come around year 1000 of the third age making him like 2000+ based on his life spent on Middle-earth.

Old Post Dec 11th, 2006 12:53 AM
ESB -1138 is currently offline Click here to Send ESB -1138 a Private Message Find more posts by ESB -1138 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote