KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Lord of the Rings » Interesting about the Return of Gandalf

Interesting about the Return of Gandalf
Started by: thefallen544

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Rogal Dorn
Mahal

Interesting about the Return of Gandalf

I got the book the letters of Tolkein two days ago, and after some reading and looking I came across an interesting letter (pg 203 on my version) that points to the fact that Gandalf did not reform his body, nor was he sent back by the Valar. It does indeed point back that Gandalf was taken up by a "higher authority" than the Valar of which there can be only one. Eru. In Tolkein's own words.

Quote letter 156 to Robert Murray,

"That I should say is what the Authority wished, as a set-off to Saurman. The 'wizards', as such, had failed; or if you like:the crisis had become too grave and needed an enhancement of power. So Gandalf sacrificed himself, was accepted, and enhanced, and returned. 'Yes, that was the name. I was Gandalf.' Of course he remains the similiar in personality and idiosyncrasy, but both his wisdom and power are much greater . When he speaks he commands attention:the old Gandalf could not have dealt so with Theoden, nor with Saurman. He is still under the obligation of concealing his power and of teaching rather than forcing or dominating wills ,but where the physical powers of the Enemy are too great for the good will of the opposer's to be effective he can act in emergency as an 'angel'-no more violently than the release of St Peter from Prison.

He seldom does so, operating rather through others, but in one or two cases in the War (in Vol III) he does reveal a sudden power: he twice rescues Faramir. He alone is left to forbid the entrance of the Lord of Nazgul to Minas Tirith, when the City has been overthrown and its Gates broken-and yet so powerful is the whole train of human resistance , that he himself has kindled and organized , that in fact no battle between the two occurs: it passes to other mortal hands. In the end before he departs for ever he sums himself up: 'I was the enemy of Sauron'. He might have added: 'for that purpose I was sent to Middle-earth'. But by that he at the end have meant more than at the beginning. He was sent by a mere prudent plan of the angelic Valar or governors; [B]but Authority had taken up this plan and enlarged it, at the moment of its failure.[/B] 'Naked I was sent back-for a brief time, until my task is done'. Sent back by whom, and whence? Not by the 'gods' whose business is only with the embodied world and its time; for he passed 'out of thought and time'. Naked is alas! unclear. It was meant just literally, 'unclothed like a child'(not discarnate), and so ready to receive the white robes of the highest. Galadriel's power is not divine, and his healing in Lorien is meant to be no more than physical healing and refreshment."

So there we have it from Tolkeins own hand Gandalf was sent back on higher authority than that of the Valar.

Yet the making of things is in my heart from my own making by thee; and the child of little understanding that makes a play of the deeds of his father may do so without without thought of mockery, but because he is the son of his father.

Old Post Dec 25th, 2006 12:45 PM
Rogal Dorn is currently offline Click here to Send Rogal Dorn a Private Message Find more posts by Rogal Dorn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
vanice
traceur

This is very interesting. Especially the: "Naked I was sent back-for a brief time, until my task is done" part. This must be the one reason to why he sails with the last ship to Valinor.

It seems like I'm gonna have to bye a new book, that will answer many questions.

Old Post Dec 29th, 2006 10:03 AM
vanice is currently offline Click here to Send vanice a Private Message Find more posts by vanice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
nenarye
Iluvatar

Ok, this may seem like spamming, but honestly, it's for your own good.

People like you guys {thefallen, vanice, etc.} seem to know your stuff about LotR and Tolkien in general. If you want even more in depth disscusions of letters like that, I suggest you go to lotrplaza.com

It is the most imformitve and vast Tolkein forum ever created {pretty much}.

http://z14.************.com/Ultimate_Star_Wars/index.php?act=idx

Old Post Jan 17th, 2007 06:05 AM
nenarye is currently offline Click here to Send nenarye a Private Message Find more posts by nenarye Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rogal Dorn
Mahal

I'm already on there and i noticed you were two yesterday, your name matches perfectly as does your sig...Councillor of Imaldris correct? I'm Har Vitr on there, formerly Anoredhel Dwarven Crafts Master. I've sent you a PM on here btw.

Yet the making of things is in my heart from my own making by thee; and the child of little understanding that makes a play of the deeds of his father may do so without without thought of mockery, but because he is the son of his father.

Old Post Jan 17th, 2007 12:36 PM
Rogal Dorn is currently offline Click here to Send Rogal Dorn a Private Message Find more posts by Rogal Dorn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
fini
Hurricane stalker

quote: (post)
Originally posted by nenarye
Ok, this may seem like spamming, but honestly, it's for your own good.

People like you guys {thefallen, vanice, etc.} seem to know your stuff about LotR and Tolkien in general. If you want even more in depth disscusions of letters like that, I suggest you go to lotrplaza.com

It is the most imformitve and vast Tolkein forum ever created {pretty much}.

Yes the plaza is a great place to discuss stuff like this. BUt heed a warning. There are some people there who think that they know everything and take joy in making you feel like an idiot.

Also if you do not talk like a 10 year old ( ie no adult themes..... religion, slang, etc) they will kick your ass out.

Lots of the mods are beyond cool and really really nice, but there are 1 or 2 or 3 of them who are power hungry and behave likewise.

Take my word for it.

Thank you god for the blessing me with Chanel.
She is back with you now, so take care of her

Old Post Jan 17th, 2007 03:58 PM
fini is currently offline Click here to Send fini a Private Message Find more posts by fini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote