KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Lord of the Rings » Reverse LOTR Gripes

Reverse LOTR Gripes
Started by: suncrafter

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
suncrafter

Reverse LOTR Gripes

Most gripes that LOTR fans seem to have with the movies seem to be the same sort of gripe that people have whenever a book is made into a movie - namely that over half the book was edited out. There are many good reasons for why film makers are forced to edit out content - but it sure seems to cause a lot of heart-ache for the fans.

So I was wondering - do any of you have any "Reverse Gripes"? That is, was there anything in the movies that was BETTER then the book? Was there any change that the film makers made that IMPROVED the story?

No "gripes", please. I'm looking for "reverse gripes" only. smile

Old Post Nov 9th, 2007 11:01 AM
suncrafter is currently offline Click here to Send suncrafter a Private Message Find more posts by suncrafter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Secret Fire
Diverse, progress, change

Hmm.. I'm sure I have plenty. Peter Jackson IS brilliant after all!

Um, off the toppa my head: Using NZ to shoot the films. Don't mean to blow our own trumpets for the millionth time, but NZ just gave so much to the films.

That's a reverse-gripe i guess...

Old Post Nov 9th, 2007 11:51 AM
The Secret Fire is currently offline Click here to Send The Secret Fire a Private Message Find more posts by The Secret Fire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Secret Fire

Gandalf's appearance and clothing (Grey & White) was less 'folk'...

Last edited by The Secret Fire on Nov 9th, 2007 at 12:01 PM

Old Post Nov 9th, 2007 11:53 AM
The Secret Fire is currently offline Click here to Send The Secret Fire a Private Message Find more posts by The Secret Fire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Secret Fire

The script in general was excellent. Did justice to the characters even though the original scripting did change.

Last edited by The Secret Fire on Nov 9th, 2007 at 11:59 AM

Old Post Nov 9th, 2007 11:54 AM
The Secret Fire

I love it that Durins Bane was given wings. That just makes it look soooo much cooler/powerful.

This could be a reverse-gripe depending on how you interpret the original text.

Old Post Nov 9th, 2007 12:07 PM
The Rover

quote: (post)
Originally posted by The Secret Fire
Gandalf's appearance and clothing (Grey & White) was less 'folk'...

I thought his clothing matched Tolkien's description quite adequately....

I love it that Durins Bane was given wings. That just makes it look soooo much cooler/powerful.

This could be a reverse-gripe depending on how you interpret the original text.

Depending on how one interprets the scene, the Balrog could indeed have originally had wings....I forget just what was said on the actual topic, although I know it was discussed somewhere in this Forum....

Originally posted by suncrafter
Most gripes that LOTR fans seem to have with the movies seem to be the same sort of gripe that people have whenever a book is made into a movie - namely that over half the book was edited out. There are many good reasons for why film makers are forced to edit out content - but it sure seems to cause a lot of heart-ache for the fans.

So I was wondering - do any of you have any "Reverse Gripes"? That is, was there anything in the movies that was BETTER then the book? Was there any change that the film makers made that IMPROVED the story?

No "gripes", please. I'm looking for "reverse gripes" only. smile

Meh....I really enjoyed the sacrifices of Gandalf and Boromir in FotR. They represented rather closely how I'd imagined the scenes....

Ultimately, though, I didn't "prefer" anything in the films. I simply can't ignore the Hollywoodism that was introduced into them, thus degrading their cultural/literary significance.

Old Post Nov 11th, 2007 04:01 AM
The Rover is currently offline Click here to Send The Rover a Private Message Find more posts by The Rover Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Secret Fire

Originally posted by Melcórë I thought his clothing matched Tolkien's description quite adequately........

Well I didn't see any hat-protruding eyebrows or large boots.. Did you?

Originally posted by Melcórë Depending on how one interprets the scene, the Balrog could indeed have originally had wings....I forget just what was said on the actual topic, although I know it was discussed somewhere in this Forum

Depends on how you interpret the text (the book) is what I meant.

Old Post Nov 12th, 2007 11:18 PM
The Rover

Well I didn't see any hat-protruding eyebrows or large boots.. Did you?

Depends on how you interpret the text (the book) is what I meant.

LOL

His eyebrows were fairly bushy, weren't they? And his boots....why, they were just hidden beneath his robe! stick out tongue

BTW: I knew what you meant, I just didn't express myself properly. stick out tongue

Old Post Nov 12th, 2007 11:56 PM
The Rover is currently offline Click here to Send The Rover a Private Message Find more posts by The Rover Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Secret Fire

Haha stick out tongue

Old Post Nov 13th, 2007 08:18 AM
suncrafter

I like the part where Bilbo has trouble leaving the ring behind when he leaves home. He can't bring himself to set it on the mantel place or on a table. With hands trembling, he only manages to drop the ring near the front door. Not daring to look back at the ring - he steps out the door, and walks way, looking like he has been relieved of a heavy burden.
Soon afterward, Gandalf moves toward the ring, but (despite the fact that he is a powerful wizard) he dares not touch it. He looks at it with trepidation. He leaves the ring there until Frodo enters. Frodo picks it up without a problem.

That is not how it happened in the book - but I liked it a lot.

Cutting out all of that Tom Bombadill crap was also a definite improvement.

Old Post Nov 16th, 2007 04:54 AM
suncrafter is currently offline Click here to Send suncrafter a Private Message Find more posts by suncrafter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Rover

????

That scene was very similar to the book, IMI.

BTW: Tom Bombadil "crap"? Not a good thing to say in these parts. stick out tongue

Old Post Nov 16th, 2007 10:27 PM
The Secret Fire

Yes, ah if Tolkien was still around he would roast you for saying such blasphemy suncrafter! stick out tongue

*washes crafters tongue out with soap*

Old Post Nov 20th, 2007 11:43 AM
fini
Hurricane stalker

LOL , Tom would have been soooooo unnecessary in the movie, good thing they left him out.

Thank you god for the blessing me with Chanel.
She is back with you now, so take care of her

Old Post Nov 24th, 2007 11:36 PM
fini is currently offline Click here to Send fini a Private Message Find more posts by fini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cap'n Happy

I think it's hard to argue that having the Hobbits, especially Frodo and Sam, being relatively young was a plus in the movie. In the book, they are young adults (as hobbit's go- 33 at the stories beginning). What work's in a book doesn't always work on screne- and young, Innocent, dew-eyed hobbit's just works better.

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2008 07:51 AM
Cap'n Happy is currently offline Click here to Send Cap'n Happy a Private Message Find more posts by Cap'n Happy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Turins bane

uote=9778373](auto quote)[/quickquote]he had wings in the book aswell he flee there when fleeing from the valar

Old Post Jun 16th, 2014 07:38 PM
Turins bane is currently offline Click here to Send Turins bane a Private Message Find more posts by Turins bane Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote