KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Lord of the Rings » P.J. to produce "The Hobbit"

P.J. to produce "The Hobbit"
Started by: Tealke

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Tealke

P.J. to produce "The Hobbit"

NEW YORK - Peter Jackson and New Line Cinema have reached agreement to make J.R.R. Tolkien’s “The Hobbit,” a planned prequel to the blockbuster trilogy “The Lord of the Rings.”

Jackson, who directed “Rings,” will serve as executive producer for “The Hobbit.” A director for the prequel films has yet to be named.

Relations between Jackson and New Line had soured after “Rings,” despite a collective worldwide box office gross of nearly $3 billion — an enormous success. The two sides nevertheless were able to reconcile, with Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios (MGM) splitting “The Hobbit” 50/50, spokesmen for both studios said Tuesday.

“I’m very pleased that we’ve been able to put our differences behind us, so that we may begin a new chapter with our old friends at New Line,” Jackson said in a statement. “We are delighted to continue our journey through Middle Earth.”

Two “Hobbit” films are scheduled to be shot simultaneously, similar to how the three “Lord of the Rings” films were made. Production is set to begin in 2009 with a released planned for 2010, with the sequel scheduled for a 2011 release.

Late last year, acrimony between Jackson and New Line became very public, with the studio announcing they would move forward with “The Hobbit” without the Academy Award-winning director. Jackson sued New Line over the amount he was paid for “The Fellowship of the Ring,” the first installment of the trilogy.

That litigation, the two sides announced Tuesday, has been settled.

Jackson, who shepherded Tolkien’s Middle-earth saga to the screen in a series of three films, won a best-director Oscar for 2003’s “The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King.” The trilogy also includes 2002’s “The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers” and 2001’s “The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring.”

New Line, which is owned by Time Warner Inc., holds the rights to produce “The Hobbit,” while MGM, which is owned by a consortium including Sony Corp. and Comcast Corp., has the right to distribute it.

Old Post Dec 18th, 2007 05:42 PM
Tealke is currently offline Click here to Send Tealke a Private Message Find more posts by Tealke Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Discos
The Discmeister

darn you buddy, I was going to post a thread o this stick out tongue

haha.

anyways, this is awesome, hopefully get the forum boosting again

"In the year of our Lord 1314, patriots of Scotland, starving and outnumbered, charged the fields at Bannockburn. They fought like warrior poets. They fought like Scotsmen. And won their freedom."

Old Post Dec 19th, 2007 01:39 PM
Discos is currently offline Click here to Send Discos a Private Message Find more posts by Discos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Rover

Oh, great.... stick out tongue

Old Post Dec 19th, 2007 08:18 PM
The Rover is currently offline Click here to Send The Rover a Private Message Find more posts by The Rover Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr. Bacon
Who?

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Discos
darn you buddy, I was going to post a thread o this stick out tongue

haha.

anyways, this is awesome, hopefully get the forum boosting again

if were still here in 2010 stick out tongue

Old Post Dec 19th, 2007 09:09 PM
Mr. Bacon is currently offline Click here to Send Mr. Bacon a Private Message Find more posts by Mr. Bacon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Maikahyandowen
Entropy

course we will be Bacon, where's your faith eh? stick out tongue

pretty much incredibly awesome that P.J.'s doing the Hobbit though, that'll be sweeeet!

Old Post Dec 19th, 2007 10:44 PM
Maikahyandowen is currently offline Click here to Send Maikahyandowen a Private Message Find more posts by Maikahyandowen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Discos
The Discmeister

why wont we be here....oh god its true, the world is ending soon.

anyways, Might read the Hobbit and parade it around my town to show people I am a real fan and dont need to rely on the movies for my knowledge... or not, wotever.

'm excited for this again.

"In the year of our Lord 1314, patriots of Scotland, starving and outnumbered, charged the fields at Bannockburn. They fought like warrior poets. They fought like Scotsmen. And won their freedom."

Old Post Dec 19th, 2007 11:11 PM
Discos is currently offline Click here to Send Discos a Private Message Find more posts by Discos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr. Bacon
Who?

me too stick out tongue it shoudlve been made earlier

Old Post Dec 19th, 2007 11:46 PM
Mr. Bacon is currently offline Click here to Send Mr. Bacon a Private Message Find more posts by Mr. Bacon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Rover

Isn't it 2012....

Old Post Dec 19th, 2007 11:50 PM
The Rover is currently offline Click here to Send The Rover a Private Message Find more posts by The Rover Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Discos
The Discmeister

^^ damn it...."moan*

Old Post Dec 20th, 2007 01:25 PM
Elessea

He definatly isn't directing though. But at least he and fran will still be involved big grin

Old Post Dec 20th, 2007 04:57 PM
Elessea is currently offline Click here to Send Elessea a Private Message Find more posts by Elessea Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Maikahyandowen
Entropy

and that's allll that matters

Old Post Dec 20th, 2007 08:48 PM
Maikahyandowen is currently offline Click here to Send Maikahyandowen a Private Message Find more posts by Maikahyandowen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Secret Fire
Diverse, progress, change

Yes!! I saw this in the Dominion Post here in Wellington on Wednesday!! ****ing fantastic news!!

With Jackson in production, again, Weta will most likely be involved, again, and The Hobbit won't end out turning out like the recent Beowulf film! *shudder, shudder, shudder* They ruined the oldest and greatest myth/legend ever!! Seriously, I despise them for that.

But yay! This'll be interesting to see how this one turns out. And maybe, just maybe, John Howe and Alan Lee will come to NZ again, and I'll be around for them this time. Maybe get some tips and get Howe to sign my copy of FAW. Yussss exciting!!

Old Post Dec 21st, 2007 12:00 PM
The Secret Fire is currently offline Click here to Send The Secret Fire a Private Message Find more posts by The Secret Fire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
coolmovies

Great news i cant wait

Old Post Jan 8th, 2008 10:20 AM
coolmovies is currently offline Click here to Send coolmovies a Private Message Find more posts by coolmovies Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Discos
The Discmeister

It will be a great movie and I cant wait to see the closet tolkien fans come out again.

Old Post Jan 8th, 2008 05:27 PM
coolmovies

I agree and this fourm will be alive again

Old Post Jan 8th, 2008 08:18 PM
coolmovies is currently offline Click here to Send coolmovies a Private Message Find more posts by coolmovies Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Discos
The Discmeister

yes indeedy, doubt much of the regular oldies will come back, hell I might take another one of those "6month" absence from the forum again.

I just get really buy and forget the forum is here.

Old Post Jan 8th, 2008 10:00 PM
chillmeistergen
Restricted

Account Restricted

It's great news, though by the time it's released I'll be twenty one.

"All morons hate it when you call them a moron." - Holden Caulfield

Old Post Jan 8th, 2008 11:48 PM
chillmeistergen is currently offline Click here to Send chillmeistergen a Private Message Find more posts by chillmeistergen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
coolmovies

they will all be out in HD including Lotr

Old Post Jan 9th, 2008 11:28 AM
exanda kane

Great news. Think of all the British character actors that could easily play the dwarves. Plus a few aussies and kiwis.

Bravely Calling Actors By Their Second Names

Old Post Jan 15th, 2008 07:11 PM
exanda kane is currently offline Click here to Send exanda kane a Private Message Find more posts by exanda kane Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Jackson not directing eh... shucks... Hope they don't get Brett Ratner.

Old Post Jan 15th, 2008 08:50 PM
queeq is currently offline Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote