KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Lord of the Rings » Who should play Bilbo in Del Toro's The Hobbit movies?

Who should play Bilbo in Del Toro's The Hobbit movies?
Started by: =Tired Hiker=

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Tired-Hiker
El Bastardo

Who should play Bilbo in Del Toro's The Hobbit movies?

Well, with all the new hype going around now that Del Toro has been confirmed on taking on The Hobbit, I'm pretty excited to see these films. I was wandering who do you think should play Bilbo? I'm not sure I like the idea of Elijah Wood playing the part since I associate him so much as Frodo, I think it would be too much of a distraction. Nor, because of his age, would I want Ian Holmes to play the part. I'm not sure who would fit. What do you folks think?

Old Post Apr 29th, 2008 09:33 PM
Tired-Hiker is currently offline Click here to Send Tired-Hiker a Private Message Find more posts by Tired-Hiker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Rover

Wow. Del Toro has been CONFIRMED as director? How is that possible? Have all the legal battles been conquered?

No matter. If they get anyone other than Ian Holm to play Bilbo, I certainly won't see the film.

Old Post Apr 30th, 2008 12:12 AM
The Rover is currently offline Click here to Send The Rover a Private Message Find more posts by The Rover Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tired-Hiker
El Bastardo

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Epic Fail Guy
Wow. Del Toro has been CONFIRMED as director? How is that possible? Have all the legal battles been conquered?

No matter. If they get anyone other than Ian Holm to play Bilbo, I certainly won't see the film.

Yeah, it's been confirmed. It's actually old news by now. It's all over the Movie Discussion Thread.

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/...mp;pagenumber=1

So far only Andy Serkis and Ian McClellan have signed on, so it's up in the air if Holm will be in it or not. I'd see it either way.

Old Post Apr 30th, 2008 01:01 AM
Tired-Hiker is currently offline Click here to Send Tired-Hiker a Private Message Find more posts by Tired-Hiker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Rover

Meh. I probably would too. But I'd definitely be wary of it. I already am, now that Del Toro is directing. Not that he's not an excellent director....I'm just not sure he is best for Tolkien. I was rather hoping it wasn't going to be filmed at all, I must say.

Old Post Apr 30th, 2008 02:51 AM
The Rover is currently offline Click here to Send The Rover a Private Message Find more posts by The Rover Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
exanda kane

I would go with either James McAvoy or Martin Freeman.

While McAvoy looks less light a young Ian Holm, he is an amazing talent, and from what I've heard a big Sci-Fi/Fantasy film. He would suit the role really well, and could help carry a tentpole product in the same way Elijah Wood did. he is also British.

Freeman is less of a great actor, but he looks a dead look alike of a young Ian Holm. He could pull it off certainly.

And yes, it's been confirmed, all the pre-production team from the trilogy are coming back (fingers crossed, Del Toro has approached them). I'm incredibly excited by the news of Del Toro. I think, like Jackson, that Del Toro is a director who just gets Tolkien, who is as much a fan as anybody else.

Least Sam Raimi's not involved.

Bravely Calling Actors By Their Second Names

Old Post Apr 30th, 2008 08:44 AM
exanda kane is currently offline Click here to Send exanda kane a Private Message Find more posts by exanda kane Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
A.D. Skinner
Assistant Director

It is hard to say, even though all that have see the first three films associate Ian Holm with Bilbo, casting someone else in that role would be a difference of opinion.

Old Post Apr 30th, 2008 05:16 PM
A.D. Skinner is currently offline Click here to Send A.D. Skinner a Private Message Find more posts by A.D. Skinner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tired-Hiker
El Bastardo

Originally posted by Epic Fail Guy
Meh. I probably would too. But I'd definitely be wary of it. I already am, now that Del Toro is directing. Not that he's not an excellent director....I'm just not sure he is best for Tolkien. I was rather hoping it wasn't going to be filmed at all, I must say.
Hence, your username? big grin

Old Post Apr 30th, 2008 07:35 PM
Tired-Hiker
El Bastardo

Originally posted by exanda kane
I would go with either James McAvoy or Martin Freeman.

While McAvoy looks less light a young Ian Holm, he is an amazing talent, and from what I've heard a big Sci-Fi/Fantasy film. He would suit the role really well, and could help carry a tentpole product in the same way Elijah Wood did. he is also British.

Freeman is less of a great actor, but he looks a dead look alike of a young Ian Holm. He could pull it off certainly.

And yes, it's been confirmed, all the pre-production team from the trilogy are coming back (fingers crossed, Del Toro has approached them). I'm incredibly excited by the news of Del Toro. I think, like Jackson, that Del Toro is a director who just gets Tolkien, who is as much a fan as anybody else.

Least Sam Raimi's not involved.

Man, those are two great choices, McAvoy or Freeman! I think both are brilliant. Did you come up with that yourself? If so, you should be a casting director. I also agree with you on Raimi not being involved.

I guess I like the choice of McAvoy the best since he does resemble a bit of Ian Holm as well as Elijah Wood's Frodo.

Old Post Apr 30th, 2008 07:42 PM
The Rover

Originally posted by =Tired Hiker=
Hence, your username? big grin

LOL wut.

stick out tongue

No, that was an inside joke.
BTW: Yes, I too am at least glad Sam Raimi's not involved.

Old Post Apr 30th, 2008 10:08 PM
BetrayedUnicorn
...its science,dear

I kinda wish peter jackson would film it also...he did such a good job with LOTR. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guillermo_del_Toro-del toro is also making a lotr prequel in 2012.

-Saint Nicholas-

Old Post May 1st, 2008 07:33 PM
BetrayedUnicorn is currently offline Click here to Send BetrayedUnicorn a Private Message Find more posts by BetrayedUnicorn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
exanda kane

Originally posted by =Tired Hiker=
Man, those are two great choices, McAvoy or Freeman! I think both are brilliant. Did you come up with that yourself? If so, you should be a casting director. I also agree with you on Raimi not being involved.

I guess I like the choice of McAvoy the best since he does resemble a bit of Ian Holm as well as Elijah Wood's Frodo.

No, it was floating around the boards or office I think. Still, McAvoy is the choice for me. He is a big sci-fi/fantasy fan too.

Bravely Calling Actors By Their Second Names

Old Post May 7th, 2008 11:06 AM
exanda kane is currently offline Click here to Send exanda kane a Private Message Find more posts by exanda kane Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CPT Space Bomb
Emperor Doom

They should work their butts off to get Ian Holm in my opinion. Seeing as how they used him in what, oh.. just all three films?

Besides, if they had to they could make him look younger like they did to Ian Mckellen and Patrick Stewart in X-3. (though, that probably costs alot to do)

So what about my comments made your ass so sore? Was it me calling you a phaggot? I think not." - Nemebro

Old Post May 15th, 2008 05:16 AM
CPT Space Bomb is currently offline Click here to Send CPT Space Bomb a Private Message Find more posts by CPT Space Bomb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
clarkbullen

Tolkien is the "Real" star

Peter Jackson said that he would not mind using an unknown to play Bilbo because Tolkien is the "Real" star, I agree. He also said they would be casting a "wide net" for the part of Bilbo. I hope that is indeed the case as I am an actor who would love the chance to audition for the part of a lifetime!

Old Post Jan 31st, 2010 01:36 AM
clarkbullen is currently offline Click here to Send clarkbullen a Private Message Find more posts by clarkbullen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Re: Tolkien is the "Real" star

Gonna be Shia Lebeouf.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Feb 1st, 2010 11:14 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blinky
Android First Class

Re: Re: Tolkien is the "Real" star

Originally posted by Robtard
Gonna be Shia Lebeouf.

You're f*cking kidding... right? That'd be sacrilege.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I say, based on looks : give Danny Devito a big-ass curly-top wig and you got your Bilbo.

"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead."

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2010 05:29 PM
Blinky is currently offline Click here to Send Blinky a Private Message Find more posts by Blinky Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote