KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Lord of the Rings » The Dragons of Middle Earth

The Dragons of Middle Earth
Started by: Lethal Rogue

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Rebel95

The Dragons of Middle Earth

I made this thread to talk about the dragons from middle earth. Here are some of my questions.

I read somewhere that smaug was the last dragon of middle-earth. Were there dragons in the silmarillion, because i still haven't read that. and also, if smaug was the last dragon, what do the nazgul ride?

Old Post Dec 21st, 2008 03:08 PM
Rebel95 is currently offline Click here to Send Rebel95 a Private Message Find more posts by Rebel95 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tulakhordpwns
?

Yes, there were dragons in the Silmarillion. Glaurung is the only one to play a major role, but in many of the battles it is mentioned that dragons participated in the fighting.

In the movies the things the nazgul fly on are called 'fell beasts', but in the books 'fell beast' was a more general term. I am not sure if they were ever given a specific name in the books.

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2008 12:41 AM
tulakhordpwns is currently offline Click here to Send tulakhordpwns a Private Message Find more posts by tulakhordpwns Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rebel95

they sure look a lot like dragons.

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2008 12:46 AM
Rebel95 is currently offline Click here to Send Rebel95 a Private Message Find more posts by Rebel95 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mairuzu
Old School Cool

Must be some very small dragons then... only similarity were that they could fly, they didnt even breathe our fire

TGFwashere

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2008 05:43 PM
Mairuzu is currently offline Click here to Send Mairuzu a Private Message Find more posts by Mairuzu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rebel95

dragons dont hav 2 breath fire...

Old Post Feb 4th, 2009 01:42 AM
Silent Guardian

Re: The Dragons of Middle Earth

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Lethal Rogue
I made this thread to talk about the dragons from middle earth. Here are some of my questions.

I read somewhere that smaug was the last dragon of middle-earth. Were there dragons in the silmarillion, because i still haven't read that. and also, if smaug was the last dragon, what do the nazgul ride?

Good luck reading the Silmarilion. I tried it is so detailed and confusing I just lost interest. I read the Hobbit and TLOTR trilogy, loved them all, but the Silmarilion was to much. Just ask someone who read it to summarize it for you or read the wikipedia page.

Old Post Feb 4th, 2009 07:53 AM
Silent Guardian is currently offline Click here to Send Silent Guardian a Private Message Find more posts by Silent Guardian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Incanus
Istari

Ok, so I did manage to keep concentrating on the Silmarillion, so the fell beasts, are in my opinion in fact Cold Winged Drakes, if they existed. The Cold Drakes were deadlier in meelee combat then regular drakes/dragons, as they had thicker skin and stuff, at the expense of breathing either fire or lightning.

Old Post Jun 26th, 2009 09:57 PM
Incanus is currently offline Click here to Send Incanus a Private Message Find more posts by Incanus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Khamul 666

okay heres how it is smaug is a true dragon of the north fellbeasts are wyrms a subdivision of dragons

Grinds hard stones to meal;
Slays king ruins town,
And beats high mountain down.

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2009 07:53 AM
Khamul 666 is currently offline Click here to Send Khamul 666 a Private Message Find more posts by Khamul 666 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Incanus
Ok, so I did manage to keep concentrating on the Silmarillion, so the fell beasts, are in my opinion in fact Cold Winged Drakes, if they existed. The Cold Drakes were deadlier in meelee combat then regular drakes/dragons, as they had thicker skin and stuff, at the expense of breathing either fire or lightning.

Fell beasts arn't cold drakes... They were more similar to a featherless vulture than a dragon. And that "thicker skin" bullcrap is never stated in the books.

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2009 03:50 PM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Khamul 666

what would solve all of these questions was if tolkien was still alive no one could argue with him

Old Post Aug 4th, 2009 09:15 PM
Khamul 666 is currently offline Click here to Send Khamul 666 a Private Message Find more posts by Khamul 666 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote