KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Lord of the Rings » Helms Deep & the immortality of Elves!

Helms Deep & the immortality of Elves!
Started by: endlessdeep

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
endlessdeep

Helms Deep & the immortality of Elves!

Hi folks, i'm pretty new to LOTR so please excuse me if my question seems pretty basic........
From my understanding the Elves are an immortal race who just grow more wise & beautiful with age and they can choose to become mortal should they wish to do so, but having just watched TTT i was quite confused as to why the Elves (and Haldir?) were able to be killed. Dis they have to choose to become mortal in order to fight? embarrasment

Old Post Jan 14th, 2003 11:39 PM
endlessdeep is currently offline Click here to Send endlessdeep a Private Message Find more posts by endlessdeep Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

They are immortal in terms of age, but they can die from violence or accident like any being.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Jan 15th, 2003 01:55 AM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dejio

Or they could even die from great depression. Imagine that.
They were..uhm.. emotionally extreme.

Old Post Jan 15th, 2003 02:51 AM
Dejio is currently offline Click here to Send Dejio a Private Message Find more posts by Dejio Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lara
Belladonna

this I understand but alot of this stuff about the elves I do not.
I am also new to area of the forums sodont worry your not on your own, endlessdeep.

be who you are not what they want you to be!

blessed be x

Old Post Jan 15th, 2003 09:28 AM
Lara is currently offline Click here to Send Lara a Private Message Find more posts by Lara Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
endlessdeep

Thanks for you answers folks......no more head scratching on that particular problem....

Old Post Jan 15th, 2003 10:22 AM
endlessdeep is currently offline Click here to Send endlessdeep a Private Message Find more posts by endlessdeep Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fire

hihi you come her lara? that's the first time I notice

Be smart, be cool, be sexy = be LIBERAL!

Old Post Jan 15th, 2003 04:10 PM
Fire is currently offline Click here to Send Fire a Private Message Find more posts by Fire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dexx
wingless

they can't just give up immortality whenever they wish...for they would stop cursing men for their gift. it's more subtle. And yes..they are immortals in age only (though i encountered a supposed limitation in silmarillion..some in terms of hundreds of centuries..or even more. I think it's enough to get bored)

Old Post Jan 15th, 2003 08:25 PM
Dexx is currently offline Click here to Send Dexx a Private Message Find more posts by Dexx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Tolkien did theorise an age limit for them but it was stupidly long.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Old Post Jan 15th, 2003 08:37 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dexx
wingless

maybe elvs actually liked engaging in wars after a certain part of their life...after they get sick of it smile

Old Post Jan 15th, 2003 08:39 PM
Dexx is currently offline Click here to Send Dexx a Private Message Find more posts by Dexx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
glorfindel

I thought only the half elven got to choose which life to live(or loose)?
smokin'
elves (true elves) just pasted into the halls of mandos and waited .

Old Post Jan 15th, 2003 09:39 PM
glorfindel is currently offline Click here to Send glorfindel a Private Message Find more posts by glorfindel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Right, Half-Elves actually CHOOSE literally.

Elves can EFFECTIVELY choose to become mortal if they become weary of life, but it isn't quite so conscious.

BtVS

Old Post Jan 15th, 2003 09:45 PM
Dexx
wingless

umm..so if you desperately gasp long enough your pointy ears will turn round? and the other way around?

Old Post Jan 15th, 2003 09:55 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

It's vague. An Elf who becomes weary of life simply fades away. I doubt there is a medical analysis of it.

A Half-Elf, on the other hand, tends to become rather more one thing than the other.

BtVS

Old Post Jan 15th, 2003 10:03 PM
Onawien

it is often said that an elf can die from a battle of violence or a broken heart.

Old Post Jan 17th, 2003 01:11 PM
Onawien is currently offline Click here to Send Onawien a Private Message Find more posts by Onawien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fire

I heard the same things

Be smart, be cool, be sexy = be LIBERAL!

Old Post Jan 17th, 2003 04:03 PM
Fire is currently offline Click here to Send Fire a Private Message Find more posts by Fire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arien

back to the half-elven. Elrond was a half-elven, and he chose to be Elfkind. does that clear up anything for u?

Old Post Jan 27th, 2003 04:29 PM
Arien is currently offline Click here to Send Arien a Private Message Find more posts by Arien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dark_Queen
Mistress of Evil

so elves can choose 2 be immortal or mortal then???and if an elf(like elrond for example)is half elf,does that mean he is more man than elf or what????(how does that work exactly?)

mmmm..precious..we wants it!

Old Post Jan 28th, 2003 07:33 AM
Dark_Queen is currently offline Click here to Send Dark_Queen a Private Message Find more posts by Dark_Queen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dark_Queen
Mistress of Evil

and also,why could arwen choose to give up her immortal life??

mmmm..precious..we wants it!

Old Post Jan 28th, 2003 07:34 AM
Dark_Queen is currently offline Click here to Send Dark_Queen a Private Message Find more posts by Dark_Queen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mah
J-type 327 Nubian

it's not that easy. ush explains it earlier in this thread

Old Post Jan 28th, 2003 03:04 PM
mah is currently offline Click here to Send mah a Private Message Find more posts by mah Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Gee, why do I bother? Please read what has already come, people!

A Half-Elf evneutally becomes one thing or the other. Elrond has been Elf so long that he is indistinguishable from any other of his line.

Other Elves cannot literally CHOOSE to be mortal but HAVE been known to die from grief. So Arwen could not say "Right, I will be mortal now<" but she might follow Aragorn into death if she loved him enough.

I think Arwen is Half-Elf as well, but been long Elf, just like Elrond.

BtVS

Old Post Jan 28th, 2003 08:02 PM