KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Lord of the Rings » Silmarillion fans

Silmarillion fans
Started by: hpxmenlotrnerd

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
hpxmenlotrnerd

Smile Silmarillion fans

I just finished the Simarillion and it is such an extraordinary work of genious that it rates just as high as lotr. It also helps me understand some things in lotr that didint make sense. You wouldn't think a book about history would be so amazing smile my favorite story is about Aredhel and Eol. Its so sad tho, Eol getting thrown over a cliff and all sad (then again he was kind of a control freak) stick out tongue so gimme your input silmarillion fans!

Old Post Aug 13th, 2003 04:12 PM
hpxmenlotrnerd is currently offline Click here to Send hpxmenlotrnerd a Private Message Find more posts by hpxmenlotrnerd Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
turin

very true, every story in the book is awesome. truthfully to some degrees i like it more then LOTR. what do you think the odds are that there will ever be a movie based on any of the stories in the silmarillion? thanks to the success of LOTR they are better then before, but still very unlikely in my opinion. too bad they would be sweet movies. could you imagine seeing the nirnaeth arnodiad (excuse spelling) or the war of wrath on the bigscreen? Balrogs, trolls, dragons, elves, it would have it all!!!

and filled with wrath and despair he mounted upon Rochallor his great horse and rode forth alone, and none might restrain him. He passed over Dor-nu-Fauglith like a wind amid the dust, and all that beheld his onset fled in amaze, thinking that Oromë himself was come: for a great madness of rage was upon him, so that his eyes shone like the eyes of the Valar.

Old Post Aug 13th, 2003 06:21 PM
turin is currently offline Click here to Send turin a Private Message Find more posts by turin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tiger lilly
purty flowur

u no.... ive tried to read the silmarillion soooooo many times but find it extreemely hard to get into, its very much like a text book....

totally agree with u that it is a work of genius tho, from bits i have read... blink

Old Post Aug 13th, 2003 06:40 PM
tiger lilly is currently offline Click here to Send tiger lilly a Private Message Find more posts by tiger lilly Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
hpxmenlotrnerd

I'd love to see them make a movie of the war of wrath!!! getting to see the valar and dragons and balrogs. it'd be awsome!! i'd also like to see a movie on the story about Eol, Aredhel, and Maeglin

Old Post Aug 13th, 2003 06:57 PM
hpxmenlotrnerd is currently offline Click here to Send hpxmenlotrnerd a Private Message Find more posts by hpxmenlotrnerd Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
happy kine
mirth maker

i agree with tiger lilly... it was not a fluid read. it was good for the history aspect but it was non-linear and hard to follow. it wasn't really a story.... more like facts about different aspects of the lotr world... i was hoping they would have more on the where the wizards came from.

Old Post Aug 13th, 2003 08:15 PM
happy kine is currently offline Click here to Send happy kine a Private Message Find more posts by happy kine Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
turin

ya it reads like a history book or the bible.

and filled with wrath and despair he mounted upon Rochallor his great horse and rode forth alone, and none might restrain him. He passed over Dor-nu-Fauglith like a wind amid the dust, and all that beheld his onset fled in amaze, thinking that Oromë himself was come: for a great madness of rage was upon him, so that his eyes shone like the eyes of the Valar.

Old Post Aug 13th, 2003 09:00 PM
turin is currently offline Click here to Send turin a Private Message Find more posts by turin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
billyboyd4ever
Diamond of Long Cleeve

but its a little more interesting (in my opinion). my favorite story would be all of the stuff about turin turambar (sp) or beren and luthien. but it is REALLY hard to get into, but i dunno when i finally did get into it it was intoxicating....you know what i mean?

"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens." - J.R.R. Tolkien

*sigh* I've missed you guys.. smile

Old Post Aug 14th, 2003 03:56 PM
billyboyd4ever is currently offline Click here to Send billyboyd4ever a Private Message Find more posts by billyboyd4ever Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
turin

absolutely!!! I also love the story of turin as well as gondolin, fingolfin, sons of feanor, well pretty much the whole book.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2003 05:48 PM
billyboyd4ever
Diamond of Long Cleeve

yea, plus i think the beginning is sooo cool w/the creation of middle earth!!!

Old Post Aug 14th, 2003 06:22 PM
billyboyd4ever is currently offline Click here to Send billyboyd4ever a Private Message Find more posts by billyboyd4ever Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ugthebarbarian

In reference to the person who wanted to know about wizards: Read Unfinished Tales. It's like an expansion to the Silmarillion, and fillls in some holes.

I have wondered about movies on the Silmarillion. Imagine 5 movies, each based upon each battle for Middle Earth against Morgoth. The 5th movie could have 2 battles, with the last one being the Valar coming and kicking Morgoth's butt.

Old Post Aug 31st, 2003 06:01 PM
ugthebarbarian is currently offline Click here to Send ugthebarbarian a Private Message Find more posts by ugthebarbarian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ugthebarbarian

The movies would be really good, despite their immense difficulty to make. The Silmarillion is like lotr times 10. Think about it. In the Silmarillion they had even less hope than frodo... Towards the end.. .almost all the elves in middle-earth were either dead or scattered and hiding.

The battles would be 10 times bigger than lotr too. I don't know if they could do all that cgi, but think especially of the 5th battle. When morgoth unleashes Gothmog and his Balrogs with Glaurung and his dragons and the millions of orcs he has... it would be incredible... just incredible.

Think how much it took out of Gandalf to kill ONE Balrog....

Old Post Aug 31st, 2003 06:06 PM
ugthebarbarian is currently offline Click here to Send ugthebarbarian a Private Message Find more posts by ugthebarbarian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
fini
Hurricane stalker

tolkien's son had said that the Silmarillion is a difficult book to read........
for everyone interested in the entire middle earth saga its a must have.

But i dont think that they should make it into a movie...........just think about how much stuff they had to leave out or skim tru in LOtr.............making the Silmarillion into a movie would be worse.

lol but since we have some pretty good images of middle earth in our head , lets just stick to our imaginations......

IT would be a horrible horrible thing if they made the book into a crap movie, Peter Jackson tooooookkkkkkk a gigantic gamble making lotr into a movie and he was BEYONd lucky that he made it well and it was recieved well. That kind of luck doesn't come everyday, or more than once in a lifetime.

Thank you god for the blessing me with Chanel.
She is back with you now, so take care of her

Old Post Sep 1st, 2003 03:24 PM
fini is currently offline Click here to Send fini a Private Message Find more posts by fini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
billyboyd4ever
Diamond of Long Cleeve

yea, i absolutely loved the silmarillion, i mean its my favorite book, but i dont think the movie would work out well. there are so many complex stories w/so many complex characters that it is near impossible to tackle even close to succesfully on screen. i say we leave it to the genius of tolkien and our imaginations, anything else might be a disgrace

Old Post Sep 2nd, 2003 05:13 AM
fini
Hurricane stalker

here here !!!!

Thank you god for the blessing me with Chanel.
She is back with you now, so take care of her

Old Post Sep 2nd, 2003 03:36 PM
fini is currently offline Click here to Send fini a Private Message Find more posts by fini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
turin

well it depends on how many movies you had to do it. if they did it in 5 movies like suggested earlier they could get most of the good stuff. besides, it wouldnt be an accurate depiction, but an interpretation just like LOTR and some of the things i regret not seeing in LOTR doent bother me because of what i did see, if you get what i mean.

Old Post Sep 2nd, 2003 06:42 PM
Member.

the movies don't give tolkien enough credit. most people don't know how much of himself he put in his books. he literally created a whole world with everything.

Old Post Sep 2nd, 2003 11:52 PM
Member. is currently offline Click here to Send Member. a Private Message Find more posts by Member. Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fire

didn't find it yet, but I'd like to read it smile

Be smart, be cool, be sexy = be LIBERAL!

Old Post Sep 2nd, 2003 11:55 PM
Fire is currently offline Click here to Send Fire a Private Message Find more posts by Fire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Member.

i found out about the silmarrilian from my friend who is a huge tolkien fan. really good book.

Old Post Sep 3rd, 2003 12:15 AM
Member. is currently offline Click here to Send Member. a Private Message Find more posts by Member. Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fire

yea I don't doubt it
but I cant find it anywhere

Be smart, be cool, be sexy = be LIBERAL!

Old Post Sep 3rd, 2003 12:47 AM
Fire is currently offline Click here to Send Fire a Private Message Find more posts by Fire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
billyboyd4ever
Diamond of Long Cleeve

quote:
Originally posted by turin
well it depends on how many movies you had to do it. if they did it in 5 movies like suggested earlier they could get most of the good stuff. besides, it wouldnt be an accurate depiction, but an interpretation just like LOTR and some of the things i regret not seeing in LOTR doent bother me because of what i did see, if you get what i mean.

yea...i guess but even tho lotr went above + beyond my expectations, i really dont know how well the silmarillion could be done, or received. think how hard it would be to comprehend as a movie because of all the short, indivdual stories. for an audience unfarmiliar w/tolkien, that mite be a very confusing, very boring movie. of course to us tolkien fans, it mtie be great, yet it mite not. its such a gamble no matter how you look at it, that its hard to imagine a director + producer even agreeing to do it...

Old Post Sep 3rd, 2003 02:21 AM