KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » TV Talk Forum » Black Sails

Black Sails
Started by: Arachnid1

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Arachnid1

Black Sails

Has anyone else gotten around to watching the pilot for this? They have the entire pilot up on youtube, though its censored to shit so I recommend watching the original version through other means. If you want to watch the pilot now, I've got it linked below.

Anyway, the story seams to be about Captain Flint and his hunt for Spanish galleon loaded with treasure (5 mil Spanish dollars). Unfortunately, his crews past couple of hauls don't bring in much income, so they are on the verge of mutiny. The pilot is basically about Flint trying to sniff out the trail for the galleon while trying to keep relations in the crew solid to avoid the mutiny. It also has appearances from famous pirates such as Anne Bonny and Charles Vane. Blackbeard is also mentioned in a scene. Everyone's reaction to his name being dropped seemed to be pretty fearful, so they're building up towards his first appearance.

Overall. solid pilot. Nothing new here if you've already had a lot of familiarity with pirates. The dialogue also doesn't have any kind of poetic rhythm to it (like Game of Thrones). I liked it, but I'm not really invested in any character yet. This just sets up the story/goal for the season.

PWNT

Old Post Jan 25th, 2014 11:42 PM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stealth Moose
Umbrella Elite

This looks really good. Too bad I don't haz Starz.

Old Post Jan 26th, 2014 12:16 AM
Stealth Moose is currently offline Click here to Send Stealth Moose a Private Message Find more posts by Stealth Moose Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lexington
Elysian Fields

looks decent. I will check it out.

Old Post Jan 26th, 2014 12:57 AM
Lexington is currently offline Click here to Send Lexington a Private Message Find more posts by Lexington Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arachnid1

Second episode aired last night. This one was a bit less interesting than the first, but it had its moments. John Silver finding a way to make himself indispensable was a smart move.

Also, I've noticed that Anne Bonny, Calico Jack, and Charles Vane are all in the same crew whereas Captain Flint, John Silver, and Billy Bones are all on a crew. The former are all real pirates and the latter are all fictional pirates from Treasure Island. I'm not sure why its set up as real pirates vs fictional pirates, but I'm hoping their conflict gets epic a bloody.

I felt kind of bad when Elenore betrayed Max, pretty much giving her a death sentence by Vane. When Vane catches her, she's screwed. Waaaaay too many people crossed Vane this episode, and it will blow back on them. That should be interesting.

Also, now that I've realized that this guy was Jack Rackam, I feel kind of disappointed in his portrayal. He seems to be the intelligent and resourceful one. Rackam is supposed to be more of an incompetent but entertaining drunk. This show just seems to be borrowing the characters for a story though. Anne Bonny isn't supposed to be around yet. Jack didn't meet her and get her to join his crew until a while after he mutinied and stranded Vane on a deserted tropical island. She never served under Vane with Rackam in real life.

I'm still looking forward to seeing Blackbeard too. I'm wondering how they will portray Vane and Blackbeards friendship in this book. I'm thinking that Blackbeard will be a wildcard that will be drawn later by the real pirates side to get a leg up on the fictional team. We'll see how that goes though.

PWNT

Last edited by Arachnid1 on Feb 2nd, 2014 at 10:40 PM

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2014 10:30 PM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

It's alright so far, on the lines with the likes of Spartacus, at least Spartacus with a bit more story and without all the dicks.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2014 10:07 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lexington
Elysian Fields

this worth watching? I have a few episodes sitting on my HDD

Old Post Apr 10th, 2014 02:05 AM
Lexington is currently offline Click here to Send Lexington a Private Message Find more posts by Lexington Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Lexington
this worth watching? I have a few episodes sitting on my HDD

I liked it enough to finish the 1st season and will watch the 2nd.

Old Post Apr 10th, 2014 03:51 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lexington
Elysian Fields

watching the Pilot, looks great! thumb up

Old Post Apr 15th, 2014 05:51 PM
NemeBro

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Robtard
It's alright so far, on the lines with the likes of Spartacus, at least Spartacus with a bit more story and without all the dicks.
Interest lost.

Old Post Apr 15th, 2014 08:06 PM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Story, plot and acting are superior to Spartacus when you take in the season as a whole.

The lack of naked dicks is still there though.

Old Post Apr 15th, 2014 08:09 PM
queeq
Chaos

laughing out loud

Just watched episode one… Seems okay, didn't make a striking impression though.

Old Post Apr 15th, 2014 08:39 PM
queeq is currently offline Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lexington
Elysian Fields

Has its moments, some good action, Max.... I like max smile

Old Post Apr 15th, 2014 08:47 PM
queeq
Chaos

I'll look out for Max.

Old Post Apr 17th, 2014 07:15 AM
queeq is currently offline Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arachnid1

I stopped after episode 3. I'm planning on getting caught up, but at the same time, it hasn't been all that interesting either. Flint is ****ing awesome, but thats about it. They really dropped the ball on Charles Vane (who's my favorite real life pirate). He looks like he's on his way to chip-n-dales.

This also is set long before any of the big name pirates were killed, and 20 years before treasure island, so you already know none of the main characters are going to end up getting killed. It feels too safe for a pirate show. They should have just made a bunch of new fictional characters.

I don't know. I'll get back to it eventually. Hopefully it picks up later in the season.

PWNT

Old Post Apr 17th, 2014 10:23 PM
Lexington
Elysian Fields

I like this show, currently watching the 8th episode, I noticed Michael Bay is a producer, This show Rocks, I'm hooked.

Flint is cool, he is a very watchable character, the intro music is cool, apparently period accurate, played with a Hurdy gurdy, the intro music is very cool, works well.

Old Post Apr 21st, 2014 06:22 PM
queeq
Chaos

Well, finished watching all eight episodes. All I can say: boooooring.

My God, these pirates talk and talk and talk and talk… It seems okay at the beginning, but they never stop talking. And more talking. I thought these guys were into making money, but they could run a bloody parliament.

So I'm bailing out of this series. I doubt these will get a second season, honestly.

Old Post May 11th, 2014 07:22 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

It's been renewed for a second season.

I'll let you know if S2 ups the BNDF (Bare Naked Dicks Factor).

Old Post May 15th, 2014 08:35 PM
Lexington
Elysian Fields

reminds me of OZ, Dicks all over the place

Old Post May 15th, 2014 09:39 PM
Mindset

It was terrible.

Sometimes all you have left is your Rage

Old Post May 15th, 2014 11:43 PM
Mindset is currently offline Click here to Send Mindset a Private Message Find more posts by Mindset Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

It was worse: it talkie boredom…. Some pirates, tsssss….

Old Post May 18th, 2014 01:17 PM