KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » TV Talk Forum » Whose more vile? Tywin Lannister or Roose Bolton

Whose more vile? Tywin Lannister or Roose Bolton
Started by: davesoprano

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
davesoprano

Whose more vile? Tywin Lannister or Roose Bolton

I would really love to see these two in a scene together just to see what they'll think of each other. They kinda act similar in terms of having that icy cold and nonchalant demeanor but who do you think is worse or more despicable?

Old Post Feb 21st, 2014 12:21 AM
davesoprano is currently offline Click here to Send davesoprano a Private Message Find more posts by davesoprano Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Far as the show has shown, Tywin. Roose is a betrayer, but given the context, that doesn't stand out much. Tywin has ordered the butcher of children.

Old Post Feb 21st, 2014 02:27 AM
Lord Lucien is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Firefly218
Restricted

Account Restricted

Tywin hands down

Old Post Feb 21st, 2014 02:35 AM
Firefly218 is currently offline Click here to Send Firefly218 a Private Message Find more posts by Firefly218 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arachnid1

Well, Roose has more enjoyment in distasteful matters. With Tywin, he just does what he believes is logical. He doesn't enjoy any of the acts. Roose also happens to be restrained more (usually by Winterfell). Given the freedom to do so, he and his house would do some pretty ****ed up things. His house takes pride in torture after all. I'd say Roose is more despicable. The Red Wedding is just a taste of the shit he's capable of when he's unshackled (Tywin being the one to unshackle him in this case).

Tywin is a worse enemy to have though, because he is damn smart and will do whatever he has to to get the job done. I wouldn't say he's vile. He even has some admirable qualities. That said, he's not a good guy either. He seems like a Chaotic Neutral (or a Lawful Evil) type character. Roose and his house just seem Chaotic Evil.

PWNT

Old Post Feb 21st, 2014 02:51 AM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

Roose is far more malevolent.

Tywin commits atrocities for the good of his family.

Roose is more restrained than his animalistic son or inhuman rape tornadoes like Gregor Clegane, but he drops hints every now and then that he commits atrocities not merely because he feels he has to, but also because he enjoys it.

Think back to when Jaime and Brienne stayed at Harrenhal under his care. When he brought them to eat with him, he gave Jaime, who now only had one hand, a hard to cut steak and took personal glee in watching the once proud and powerful warrior struggle to so much as eat his ****ing food. And with Brienne, a very tall, and brawny woman whose occupation is typically filled by men, she is given a very garish, unflattering dress. Simply to mock her. By contrast, Tywin's only truly needlessly cruel acts concern his son Tyrion, but Tywin has a reason for these actions. Not a good reason mind you, but a more humanizing one. Speaking of humanizing, recall Tywin's rather cordial interactions with Arya in the show. Can anyone here picture Roose doing as much?

Plus there's this:

(please log in to view the image)

Look at that creepy as **** smile.

Tywin is a bad man. Roose is possibly a sociopath.

I've spoken with a buddy of mine on this topic, concerning some similar characters.

Tywin gravitates between Lawful Neutral and Lawful Evil. Roose is firmly planted in Lawful Evil. He abides by certain rules placed on him only because he is intelligent and wise enough to know that his own monstrous nature would not be tolerated in Westeros (This is the defining difference between him and his son).

On another note, in the book at least, Gregor Clegane is worse than all of them. thumb up

Old Post Feb 21st, 2014 04:17 AM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KingD19
Shai-Gen's Enigmatic Wong

I agree. A simple way to put it is that Tywin is ruthless. Utterly ruthless. However, he approaches everything but Tyrion in a detached, cold, logical demeanor.

House Lannister wiped out House Reyne(Rains of Castamere fame) because they'd rebelled against his father and his father was a weak man. So he wiped them out to not only save his family, but to prove a point and he wiped them completely out so there wouldn't be any Rob Starks. No Reyne's coming back for revenge.

Everything he's done has been for a good reason, at least from his standpoint. And from any standpoint, it's always been a cold sort of tactical reasoning.

Roose on the other hand is just a sadistic guy who enjoys seeing others suffer.

Tywin is the guy who'd order your torture because it served a purpose like gaining information or demoralizing your friends when they found you.

Roose is the guy who would personally torture because it rustles his jimmies.

Old Post Feb 21st, 2014 04:57 AM
KingD19 is currently offline Click here to Send KingD19 a Private Message Find more posts by KingD19 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

Tywin is all about being pragmatic.

Remember when Gregor was having civilians tortured because he felt like it?

Tywin put an immediate stop to that, because it was more practical to put them to work.

Old Post Feb 21st, 2014 05:05 AM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arachnid1

quote: (post)
Originally posted by NemeBro

Roose is more restrained than his animalistic son or inhuman rape tornadoes like Gregor Clegane, but he drops hints every now and then that he commits atrocities not merely because he feels he has to, but also because he enjoys it.

Think back to when Jaime and Brienne stayed at Harrenhal under his care. When he brought them to eat with him, he gave Jaime, who now only had one hand, a hard to cut steak and took personal glee in watching the once proud and powerful warrior struggle to so much as eat his ****ing food. And with Brienne, a very tall, and brawny woman whose occupation is typically filled by men, she is given a very garish, unflattering dress. Simply to mock her. By contrast, Tywin's only truly needlessly cruel acts concern his son Tyrion, but Tywin has a reason for these actions. Not a good reason mind you, but a more humanizing one. Speaking of humanizing, recall Tywin's rather cordial interactions with Arya in the show. Can anyone here picture Roose doing as much?

Plus there's this:

I've spoken with a buddy of mine on this topic, concerning some similar characters.

Tywin gravitates between Lawful Neutral and Lawful Evil. Roose is firmly planted in Lawful Evil. He abides by certain rules placed on him only because he is intelligent and wise enough to know that his own monstrous nature would not be tolerated in Westeros (This is the defining difference between him and his son).

On another note, in the book at least, Gregor Clegane is worse than all of them. thumb up
Well said! Thats all pretty much my thoughts except articulated better.

Except for Ser Gregor. From what I've read so far, Gregor is pretty terrible. I'm not sure if he's as bad as Roose or his bastard but I haven't seen everything yet. I just get the impression that he's a restrained psycho, kind of like Roose and his family. Then again, I'm not caught up so maybe he does worse. So far, I know of what he's done to the Martells, and the random bar wench he raped while her father watched. That, and the villages he's reduced to ash and corpses. Nothing I cant see Roose or Ramsey doing. Roose raped Ramsey's mother after all. Still not as much as The Mountain, but being Lord the Dreadfort has more restrictions than being a lap dog. Ramsey, on the other hand, is a step above Roose (and Gregor, I think) on both murder and rape, and the glee he finds in those matters.

From what I've read online, it's implied that Gregor has a tumor/growth in his head that makes him crazy/sadistic and unable to feel empathy. Ramsey just enjoys it because his definition of fun. Roose is probably in the same category as Ramsey, except more restricted.

Though of them all, the main characters seem to fear Roose more than anyone. Just look at the quotes on Rooses wiki page. Everyone feared Roose. Jamie, Robb, Theon, Cat, (etc...). Even after everything Ramsey did to Theon, Theon considered Ramsey nothing more than a shadow of Roose. I think Roose may actually be the worse of them all, though he keeps it well hidden.

quote:
"Roose has no feelings, you see. Those leeches that he loves so well sucked all the passions out of him years ago. He does not love, he does not hate, he does not grieve. This is a game to him, mildly diverting. Some men hunt, some hawk, some tumble dice. Roose plays with men. You and me, these Freys, Lord Manderly, his plump new wife, even his bastard, we are but his playthings."

"Once, a boy called Theon Greyjoy had enjoyed tweaking Bolton as they sat at council with Robb Stark, mocking his soft voice and making japes about leeches. He must have been mad. This is no man to jape with. You had only to look at Bolton to know that he had more cruelty in his pinky toe than all the Freys combined."

"And the Greatjon's not the worst of them, only the loudest. Lord Roose never says a word, he only looks at me, and all I can think of is that room they have in the Dreadfort, where the Boltons hang the skins of their enemies."

PWNT

Last edited by Arachnid1 on Feb 21st, 2014 at 05:57 PM

Old Post Feb 21st, 2014 05:43 PM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Roose is sadistic to a fault, he enjoyed the red wedding, Tywin just saw it as a means to an end, as an example.

I'd still rather have Roose as an enemy than Tywin though.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2014 12:46 AM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stealth Moose
Umbrella Elite

Originally posted by NemeBro

Plus there's this:

thumb up

lol@ inhuman rape tornado.

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2014 05:12 AM
Stealth Moose is currently offline Click here to Send Stealth Moose a Private Message Find more posts by Stealth Moose Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
davesoprano

Originally posted by Firefly218
Tywin hands down

To me Tywin's just more powerful, hence has the resources to crush a vast majority of his enemies. Their motives is what I was referring to

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2014 04:24 PM
davesoprano is currently offline Click here to Send davesoprano a Private Message Find more posts by davesoprano Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

Originally posted by Arachnid1

Except for Ser Gregor. From what I've read so far, Gregor is pretty terrible. I'm not sure if he's as bad as Roose or his bastard but I haven't seen everything yet. I just get the impression that he's a restrained psycho, kind of like Roose and his family. Then again, I'm not caught up so maybe he does worse. So far, I know of what he's done to the Martells, and the random bar wench he raped while her father watched. That, and the villages he's reduced to ash and corpses. Nothing I cant see Roose or Ramsey doing. Roose raped Ramsey's mother after all. Still not as much as The Mountain, but being Lord the Dreadfort has more restrictions than being a lap dog. Ramsey, on the other hand, is a step above Roose (and Gregor, I think) on both murder and rape, and the glee he finds in those matters.

From what I've read online, it's implied that Gregor has a tumor/growth in his head that makes him crazy/sadistic and unable to feel empathy. Ramsey just enjoys it because his definition of fun. Roose is probably in the same category as Ramsey, except more restricted.

Though of them all, the main characters seem to fear Roose more than anyone. Just look at the quotes on Rooses wiki page. Everyone feared Roose. Jamie, Robb, Theon, Cat, (etc...). Even after everything Ramsey did to Theon, Theon considered Ramsey nothing more than a shadow of Roose. I think Roose may actually be the worse of them all, though he keeps it well hidden.

I rank Gregor above Roose and Ramsay on the "evilness" meter simply because, at the end of the day, they're more human.

Gregor is an inhuman beast in human skin who does hilarious things like smash babies into walls and rape and kill the mother with the child's brains lathered into his hands, and then has to be reminded that he did it. Forgetting something like this would be understandable considering how many people Gregor kills and rapes, except these particular victims were Elia of Dorne and Aegon Targaryen, wife of the prince and the heir to the throne after Rhaegar, respectively.

Heck of a guy, that Gregor.

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2014 06:38 PM
davesoprano

Originally posted by Robtard
I'd still rather have Roose as an enemy than Tywin though.

lol amen to that

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2014 06:39 PM
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

An interesting thing about Roose is [SPOILER - highlight to read]: that he knows full well that Ramsay can't actually succeed him, because he's far too obviously unstable and ****ed-up. He has a big speech in the books about how his house is probably going to die out because of it.

And yet he still betrayed Robb and usurped his position just for the hell of it. Even though he knows the Boltons won't hold it. Arachnids quotes have the right of it, Roose is just a well concealed sociopath who likes to burn ants for his mild amusement.

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2014 08:17 PM
Nephthys is currently offline Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

Shut up.

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2014 05:45 AM
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Why are you so mean to me? :C

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2014 01:20 PM
Nephthys is currently offline Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheGodKiller02
True Killer

Roose Bolton, hands down.

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2014 02:02 PM
TheGodKiller02 is currently offline Click here to Send TheGodKiller02 a Private Message Find more posts by TheGodKiller02 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

thumb up

Ramsay takes the cake for worst though IMO.

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2014 10:26 PM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Book Ramsey is imo, even worse than Gregor. He's the most evil character in the series.

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2014 10:32 PM
NemeBro

He loves his mother though.

Gregor loves nothing.

Old Post Feb 27th, 2014 04:31 AM