KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » TV Talk Forum » The Wheel of Time

The Wheel of Time
Started by: Arachnid1

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Arachnid1

The Wheel of Time

http://io9.com/the-real-story-about...aire-1684773094

So the pilot for this aired last night. I haven't gotten around to reading the books, but I've got them all on my kindle. I've heard some high praise for this series. Any fans here?

PWNT

Old Post Feb 10th, 2015 07:21 PM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Oh shit, didn't know about this, will def check it out. I loved those books way back in the day, even though I never finished the series and left off somewhere on book 9

Thanks

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Feb 10th, 2015 09:36 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arachnid1

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Robtard
Oh shit, didn't know about this, will def check it out. I loved those books way back in the day, even though I never finished the series and left off somewhere on book 9

Thanks
No problem, just don't expect much. From what I hear, this was pumped out randomly by Universal late last night in an effort to keep the rights from reverting back to the dead authors estate. Jordans wife and company are apparently pretty pissed, since the rights were supposed to revert back tomorrow (Feb 11).

Let me know what you think when you watch it.

PWNT

Old Post Feb 10th, 2015 09:51 PM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Yeah, read that. Looks like an ashcan copy

Do wish some company like HBO, Showtime or Netflix would buy the rights and produce a high production value series

Last edited by Robtard on Feb 10th, 2015 at 10:02 PM

Old Post Feb 10th, 2015 10:00 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arachnid1

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/04...-as-a-tv-series

Looks like a legit show is in the works

PWNT

Old Post Apr 29th, 2016 01:56 AM
Dreampanther
We all face the reaper.

The books start out pretty decent but then turn into a tedious, mind-numbing mess full of whiny, self-pitying characters interacting with total bitches. I heard Brandon Sanderson did a pretty good job bringing the series to a close after Robert Jordan died but by then I'd long since lost interest. Pity, because just like The Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind it had a lot of potential before it was absolutely ruined. Hopefully they do a better job adapting it than they did with The Sword of Truth or The Shannara Chronicles (another series I couldn't be bothered to finish).

There is only one adaptation I am looking forward to because I think it's going to be effing brilliant: The Dark Tower by Stephen King.

May all your dreams come true - except for one.

Old Post Apr 29th, 2016 04:50 AM
Dreampanther is currently offline Click here to Send Dreampanther a Private Message Find more posts by Dreampanther Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindset

Originally posted by Dreampanther
The books start out pretty decent but then turn into a tedious, mind-numbing mess full of whiny, self-pitying characters interacting with total bitches. I heard Brandon Sanderson did a pretty good job bringing the series to a close after Robert Jordan died but by then I'd long since lost interest. Pity, because just like The Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind it had a lot of potential before it was absolutely ruined. Hopefully they do a better job adapting it than they did with The Sword of Truth or The Shannara Chronicles (another series I couldn't be bothered to finish).

There is only one adaptation I am looking forward to because I think it's going to be effing brilliant: The Dark Tower by Stephen King.
I stopped at book 4 or 5.

Sometimes all you have left is your Rage

Old Post Apr 29th, 2016 05:10 AM
Mindset is currently offline Click here to Send Mindset a Private Message Find more posts by Mindset Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dreampanther
We all face the reaper.

Originally posted by Mindset
I stopped at book 4 or 5.

I think I made it to 6 or 7 out of a growing horrified fascination, like watching gangrene slowly spread up your leg towards your groin and realising you either amputate your leg or lose something a lot more important to you.

May all your dreams come true - except for one.

Old Post Apr 29th, 2016 05:32 AM
Dreampanther is currently offline Click here to Send Dreampanther a Private Message Find more posts by Dreampanther Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by Arachnid1
http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/04...-as-a-tv-series

Looks like a legit show is in the works

Great, looking forward to see what they do with it.

Old Post Apr 29th, 2016 10:15 PM
Arachnid1

PWNT

Old Post Apr 20th, 2017 04:23 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

I remember having to really do a lot of searching just to find the PC game for this. Which is pretty cool IMO, came out in the late 90s and is a FPS type game. You get magic and weapons and stuff.

Old Post Apr 20th, 2017 05:24 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by Arachnid1
http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/04...oduction-studio

Looks like this is getting serious

Awesome and not surprising this is going forward, considering how huge the Game of Thrones tv series has become I imagine studios are looking for epic fantasy series to produce shows off of.

Now they only need not **** it up, capture all the good from the books while cutting out the shit.

Old Post Apr 20th, 2017 11:04 PM
ares834

Can't see this working out to well as a live action television series. GoT works because the fantasy aspects of the series are usually kept to a minimum so they don't have to spend massive amounts of money on effects. But WoT is all about the flashy magic.

Old Post Apr 21st, 2017 02:09 AM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Will be airing November 19, 2021 on Amazon Prime.

https://collider.com/the-wheel-of-t...-plot-episodes/

I'm also skeptical how the 'flashy magic' will come off.

Old Post Sep 29th, 2021 04:39 PM
Jmanghan

The video game was amazing, dunno what to make of this though.

Warrior of Light Respect Thread

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2021 08:04 AM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Originally posted by Robtard
Will be airing November 19, 2021 on Amazon Prime.

https://collider.com/the-wheel-of-t...-plot-episodes/

I'm also skeptical how the 'flashy magic' will come off.

Did I see/hear Charles Dance in the trailer, or was I mistaken? 🤔

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2021 11:06 AM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Not sure if Dance is in this, hope so, he's great.

Old Post Oct 5th, 2021 03:47 PM
ares834

No. Dance isn't in it as far as I'm aware. Maybe you mistook Roose Bolton's actor for him. He's in the show and is playing the main character's dad.

Here's the trailer BTW:

Looks legitimately awful and very cheap. Like something I'd expect to see on the CW.

Old Post Oct 6th, 2021 02:43 AM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

"We don't know... if he (the Dragon) was reborn as a girl or a boy."

Clearly the showrunners have no clue what they are doing nor do they have even a basic understanding of the series. This is major change to the very foundation of the books. Yes, it's all but certain that the Dragon will remain the same character as in the series. But the mere fact that Moiraine thinks the Dragon could be a girl is a huge issue. Not only does it contradict the cosmology of the series, but the reason people are scared shitless of the Dragon Reborn, the prophesized chosen one, is because he will be a male channeler and all the issues that come with that. Heck, many people even think the Dragon Reborn will be a villain because of it. Even the main characters at the beginning of the series joke that the evil being hunting them may be the dragon. Like this is a core aspect of the series and now it's gone...

Old Post Nov 4th, 2021 07:31 AM
Robtard
Senor Member

Yeah, that's a very stupid change/comment even when the final outcome is the same as the books. The Dragon being a male and therefore already tainted is a driving point of the story, as you mentioned.

They probably put that line in to try and soften the blow because the Male Rights Activists who know nothing of the books this series is based on are about to go full blown "REEEeeeeee!!!!" when they hear about a show where women are in control and men who show magic potential (ie Chads) are effectively neutered by the matriarchy.

Personally, I wouldn't have done it if it were my show. I would have kept it like the books.

Last edited by Robtard on Nov 18th, 2021 at 08:37 PM

Old Post Nov 18th, 2021 08:34 PM