KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » TV Talk Forum » Star Trek: Discovery

Star Trek: Discovery
Started by: Bashar Teg

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (35): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

Star Trek: Discovery

http://money.cnn.com/2015/11/02/med...-cbs/index.html

i hope it's a return to true scifi instead of more of that idiotic nu-trek garbage, but either way, new star trek show is on the way thumb up

Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage.

Last edited by Badabing on Nov 1st, 2016 at 12:12 AM

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2015 07:32 PM
Bashar Teg is currently offline Click here to Send Bashar Teg a Private Message Find more posts by Bashar Teg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

i am both excited and thrilled for this

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2015 11:52 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Saw this earlier in the movie section, despite this being posted first. Can't wait, been too long since we had a Trek series.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Nov 3rd, 2015 12:08 AM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

i wont get excited until i see an episode. i learned my lesson from enterprise and voyager.

Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage.

Old Post Nov 3rd, 2015 01:27 AM
Bashar Teg is currently offline Click here to Send Bashar Teg a Private Message Find more posts by Bashar Teg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Bashar Teg
i wont get excited until i see an episode. i learned my lesson from enterprise and voyager.

Both decent shows. In fact if Enterprise had been allowed to continue it might have become the best series of the bunch. The last two seasons were great, and things were just getting exciting with the Romulans when the network pulled the plug.

Voyager was pretty watchable.

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Nov 3rd, 2015 01:36 AM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scoobless
sselboocS

Originally posted by Omega Vision
Both decent shows. In fact if Enterprise had been allowed to continue it might have become the best series of the bunch. The last two seasons were great, and things were just getting exciting with the Romulans when the network pulled the plug.

Enterprise season 3 was great, the rest was just so so.
Voyager had it's good and bad points, anytime the story focused on Neelix I got instantly bored though.

Do you even KMC???

Old Post Nov 4th, 2015 06:04 AM
Scoobless is currently offline Click here to Send Scoobless a Private Message Find more posts by Scoobless Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

TBH I thought Enterprise season 4 was just as good. Bar the ending anyway.

Voyager... Eww.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Nov 4th, 2015 06:06 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

I actually enjoyed the NuTrek films. They were of a faster pace then the other films, but I didn't dislike it. I thought Kirk and Spock were spot on with casting and mannerisms. I thought most of the casting was spot on. I liked the little things they added as well like the reason McCoy is called "Bones". The lens flares were awful though.

With that said I have always felt that Trek is best as a series, not a movie or even a trilogy of movies. It's about exploration, not of just one place, but of many. You need more then 1 or 2 or 3 films to do it justice.

I also enjoyed Enterprise, I was intrigued by the time war storyline. I actually prefer TNG over any other Trek show, my least favorite for some reason is DS9.

The original series was also good and some episodes could mess with your head. Like the episode where Spock is possessed by an alien..you see Spock actually smiling all throughout the episode. This just comes off as deeply unsettling because you've never really seen him smile. Though the dickery of Shatner on set is also legendary. Also Gene Rodenberry could be a tool as well.

Funny thing is though as much as there seems to be a rivalry between Trek and Star Wars...we have more Star Trek as a direct result of SW's. The success of SW's was what made them decide to make the films and then those films eventually lead to various new series. Perhaps this is why some do not like NuTrek, JJ Abrams has flat out said he was looking at the movie as a Star Wars fan. In other words, thinking to himself "Okay when is the moment Luke see's the twin suns" etc. That's another reason the pace of the new films seems to be quicker.

I remember being excited before "Star Trek Into Darkness" came out because there were rumors the main villain would turn out to be Gary Mitchell.

Last edited by Surtur on Nov 4th, 2015 at 04:41 PM

Old Post Nov 4th, 2015 04:38 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by Omega Vision

Agreed, don't think Enterprise deserves the flak it got/gets. It wasn't on par with TNG or DS9, imo, but I enjoyed it overall; especially the later episodes.

Old Post Nov 4th, 2015 06:06 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Enterprise was absolutely horrendous.

Most of the shows were terrible at the start of their runs, tbf. Early TNG was awful for example.

Old Post Nov 4th, 2015 06:20 PM
Nephthys is currently offline Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

But Enterprise got better by the later seasons. I also think there is terrible and then there is TERRIBLE. The early TNG episodes are hilariously bad in a lot of ways. There were still some great episodes in that first season, but a lot of bad ones. Also some of the costumes were horrible. "The Naked Now" is something that could of only ever been made in the 80's.

Wil Wheaton did some pretty funny reviews on the early episodes of TNG. Not only are they humorous, but they contain information only someone who was there could tell you.

Old Post Nov 4th, 2015 06:31 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arachnid1

I'm looking forward to this. Should be good

PWNT

Old Post Nov 4th, 2015 07:17 PM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by Surtur
But Enterprise got better by the later seasons. I also think there is terrible and then there is TERRIBLE. The early TNG episodes are hilariously bad in a lot of ways. There were still some great episodes in that first season, but a lot of bad ones. Also some of the costumes were horrible. "The Naked Now" is something that could of only ever been made in the 80's.

Wil Wheaton did some pretty funny reviews on the early episodes of TNG. Not only are they humorous, but they contain information only someone who was there could tell you.

iirc the Naked Now was a direct remake of that TOS episode. Can't remember the name though.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Nov 4th, 2015 11:23 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

The Naked Time.

And 'Naked Now' was not even really an 80s episode; it was an adapted Roddenberry idea that was originally planned for the first Star Trek follow up series, Phase II, in the 70s (which was abandoned when they did TMP instead). That's why everyone is totally out of character.

The first series in particular of TNG is shockingly bad when you go back to it. It's definitely a show whose later triumphs obliterated its past.

My hope is that we one day get a Star Trek series where the final episode is actually any damn good. What stuns me is that 'All Good Things' was completely derivative and shot full of plot holes even AFTER the major plot hole in it was changed at the last moment because Patrick Stewart of all people pointed it out...

... and it's still the best finale. At least it was fun.

Enterprise managed to up the ante here by having the worst ST finale ever (I don't mind the idea of having Riker and co looking back at Enterprise as a general episode pitch, but it was cripplingly stupid as a finale. Most the cast loathed it, particularly Trip)

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on Nov 4th, 2015 at 11:41 PM

Old Post Nov 4th, 2015 11:37 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

^ That's the one. thumb up

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Nov 4th, 2015 11:38 PM
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

I'm not sure if it was worse than Enterprise (personally I think Archer is by far the worst captain ever, the man literally committed genocide, backstabbed his own allies and complained when his dog pee'd on a species' sacred relic) but Voyager was pretty terrible as well. And it only ever got mediocre in the middle when 7 of 9 joined.

Voyager also destroyed the Q and the Borgs credibility single-handedly which is almost impressive actually.

Last edited by Nephthys on Nov 5th, 2015 at 12:17 AM

Old Post Nov 5th, 2015 12:12 AM
Nephthys is currently offline Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

best trek is TNG , hands down... followed by DS9...

Voyager only got decent once Jeri Ryan joined.. Never ever get me started on Enterprise because that show should never be mentioned

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Nov 5th, 2015 03:24 AM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Next Gen was the best series, but the Original crew had the best movies.

DS9 was great too. Very different (some would argue it wasn't very Star Trek) but a very deep show. Although it didn't have enough memorable characters like TOS and TNG IMO.

Voyager and Enterprise both sucked really. Although tbf I didn't watch their whole run (seen most of Voyager though).

Old Post Nov 5th, 2015 01:28 PM
Darth Thor is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
illadelph
aka Rakim Illa

Originally posted by -Pr-
TBH I thought Enterprise season 4 was just as good. Bar the ending anyway.

Voyager... Eww.

Pretty much. Enterprise started out slowly but once the Xindi/Sphere builder arc kicked in it was great. Plus Shran.

Voyager watered down the franchise's best villains simply for lack of creativity on the part of the writers, though we did get Seven of Nine's collection of body suits as part of the deal. I also found most of the Chakotay based episodes offensive as f*ck. Space Indians, bruh? Really? That was right up there with the TNG season 1 Space Africans that had huts with automatic doors and ritualistic Mortal Kombat sessions on a death laser reinforced jungle gym.

PSN: Illadelph12Prime, Haksaw_Jim_Thugn - Tumblr: Mighty-Illactus
>Z<

Old Post Nov 5th, 2015 04:30 PM
illadelph is currently offline Click here to Send illadelph a Private Message Find more posts by illadelph Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Some of my favorite Enterprise eps dealt with the Augments (like Khan) and how they tied that in to retroactively explain why Klingons in the TOS were basically dark-skinned humans with goatees instead of the crabheads we know them to be now.

If you've not seen them, it's worth the watch even if you hated Enterprise and quit early on. All Season four:

-Borderland
-Cold Station 12
-The Augments

-Affliction
-Divergence

Old Post Nov 5th, 2015 04:45 PM