KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » TV Talk Forum » Eisenhorn

Eisenhorn
Started by: TheVaultDweller

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

Eisenhorn

So, this was actually announced a while ago, but somehow slipped under my radar even though multiple sites reported on it. There's a Warhammer 40K series in the works, which is going to be focusing on Gregor Eisenhorn, Imperial Inquisitor. Many 40K fans will probably recognise him, as he's the main character in some of the 40K novels written by Dan Abnett, has a tabletop model (in fact 2 now, both older and younger version, IIRC) etc.

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/wa...itz-1203270041/

As a big fan of Warhammer 40K, I am quite interested to see how this ends up developing. It's still in very early development, so not much information is actually available about it though.

I think it could work well if done right. As I have mentioned in other threads in the past when discussing this franchise, focusing on someone like Eisenhorn allows them to dive pretty deeply into 40K without having to blow their budget on enormous battle scenes, for example, where tens of thousands of Guardsmen and Orcs are charging each other, Titans stomping around etc.

Because if a series is well received, it could open the door for bigger budget projects down the line.

Old Post Sep 4th, 2019 10:37 AM
TheVaultDweller is currently offline Click here to Send TheVaultDweller a Private Message Find more posts by TheVaultDweller Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
playa1258
Fear is the mind killer

I'm hoping this works out so we can get more of this universe in the future.

Would be nice if HBO or Amazon picks this up. The streaming services are going big on prestige sci-fi.

Old Post Sep 4th, 2019 06:27 PM
playa1258 is currently offline Click here to Send playa1258 a Private Message Find more posts by playa1258 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

Eisenhorn is a cuck who keeps the naked corpse of his best friend in his attic.

Old Post Sep 4th, 2019 06:42 PM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

quote: (post)
Originally posted by NemeBro
Eisenhorn is a cuck who keeps the naked corpse of his best friend in his attic.

I'm assuming you're referring to Bequin? Been a while since I read those novels, but can't recall him putting anyone else close to him on ice, long-term. And his obsession with her gets taken to new levels in Pariah, IMO, one of the most recent novels featuring him, where he goes [SPOILER - highlight to read]: after a clone of her. But he's pretty much completely off the reservation by then and has even officially [SPOILER - highlight to read]: been declared "Excommunicate Traitoris" by the Inquisition, at least according to Ravenor.

Old Post Sep 5th, 2019 03:07 AM
TheVaultDweller is currently offline Click here to Send TheVaultDweller a Private Message Find more posts by TheVaultDweller Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

I was referring to [SPOILER - highlight to read]: Godwyn Fischig, whose corpse is being used to house Cherubael at the end of the original Eisenhorn trilogy.

Old Post Sep 5th, 2019 04:03 AM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

Oh, right. Didn't think of that because he's basically a Daemonhost at this point.

I kind of wonder when this is going to be set, in terms of his age/career. Because Eisenhorn changes pretty radically over time.

Last edited by TheVaultDweller on Sep 5th, 2019 at 05:33 AM

Old Post Sep 5th, 2019 05:28 AM
Robtard
Senor Member

Re: Eisenhorn

I've been waiting for someone to finally do a proper live action or animated WH40K series and this could finally be it. Please let this have a solid budget, cast and writers. If so, I might jizz.

Mads Mikkelsen might be a good casting for the eponymous character.

They better not f**k up the Space Marine appearances; they need to be and look larger than life. Use that same technology that made the Hobbits all tiny and hobbity in LoTR, but in reverse.

I really hope this is great and does lead to interest in other WH40k stories.

also: "A “Warhammer 40,000” animated series, dubbed “Angels of Death,” is also in the cards, with Richard Boylan directing." -snip

Squeeeeaaaalllll

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Sep 5th, 2019 10:50 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

Originally posted by Robtard
I've been waiting for someone to finally do a proper live action or animated WH40K series and this could finally be it. Please let this have a solid budget, cast and writers. If so, I might jizz.

Mads Mikkelsen might be a good casting for the eponymous character.

They better not f**k up the Space Marine appearances; they need to be and look larger than life. Use that same technology that made the Hobbits all tiny and hobbity in LoTR, but in reverse.

I really hope this is great and does lead to interest in other WH40k stories.

also: "A “Warhammer 40,000” animated series, dubbed “Angels of Death,” is also in the cards, with Richard Boylan directing." -snip

Squeeeeaaaalllll

Yeah, I am really, really hoping they can nail this. Because it can open the door for so much more. Because the Warhammer 40K universe is pretty enormous, in terms of scope of potential storytelling. 10,000 years of history, stretching over the Milky Way. And depending on how well things are received, they could branch off into Eldar, Space Marine Tau (go weeaboo Space-Commies) and other stories as well down the line. It would probably be hard doing a Necron or Tyranid PoV-story though lol.

And it will be interesting how they choose to depict Space Marines. While their general design has stayed pretty consistent for the most part, various people have taken artistic license in terms of how tall/broad etc. they are. The scale that always made sense for me was around 7'6" without gear and around 8' in power armour, because it fits with how they are otherwise described towering head and shoulders above most normal people, including tall individuals. But depending on the author, you get everything between 2 and 3 meters. But the 3-meter mark should more be Primarch territory, really.

Mikkelsen could be awesome. I could possibly see him as either young or old Eisenhorn, depending on how they do his makeup. However, maybe it's just me getting used to him in certain roles, but I feel like he'd be best as a Pontius Glaw, Big Bad type villain.

Old Post Sep 6th, 2019 02:48 AM
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

Whoops, Space Marine, Tau* and edit is broken again. But yeah, 7'6" would put the Marines at around Fox Colossus size outside of armour, and a bit bigger and bulkier with.

Old Post Sep 6th, 2019 02:48 AM
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

I do wonder how much they will be willing to show though. While more companies, particularly the streaming services, have been willing to adapt darker content (like The Boys etc), it's inevitably watered down to a degree. Because "Grimdark" originated from Warhammer 40,000 for a reason. The setting is pretty horrendous, in terms of brutality, cruelty etc., and the Imperium is a terrible place to live in. And that's not even getting into shit like Slaanesh cults and the like. Hell, even some of the plants in the setting are rather nightmarish:

https://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Spiker

I'm hoping whoever does end up picking it up has the guts to show the setting as it's meant to be.

Old Post Sep 6th, 2019 05:58 AM
NemeBro

To be perfectly honest, while brutal, violent, and gritty, 40k lore doesn't have nearly the same visceral carnage and depravity on showcase as the comic of The Boys did. The Boys had to be watered down because some of the scenes in that comic are pretty much unfilmable, sort of like the most gruesome scene in the novel of American Psycho.

Old Post Sep 6th, 2019 07:55 AM
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

For most of it, and the Eisenhorn novels themselves, sure. But I am pretty sure I can recall at least one 40k novel that featured descriptions of groups of naked, mutated Chaos cultists (with like extra limbs, including sexual organs) engaging in blood and sex orgies and such. It's mostly the Chaos/Dark Eldar stuff that I am thinking of, really. More the twisted and depraved shit as opposed to the purely violent things.

But I suppose I am getting way ahead of myself, because I have been hoping for a proper WH40k film or show for some time. But it might be shit, end up tanking, and we never see any more of it lol. But here is hoping that's not the case. Because I do still want to see the big battle scenes with Titans and the works brought to life some day as well.

Last edited by TheVaultDweller on Sep 6th, 2019 at 09:13 AM

Old Post Sep 6th, 2019 09:08 AM
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by TheVaultDweller
Yeah, I am really, really hoping they can nail this. Because it can open the door for so much more. Because the Warhammer 40K universe is pretty enormous, in terms of scope of potential storytelling. 10,000 years of history, stretching over the Milky Way. And depending on how well things are received, they could branch off into Eldar, Space Marine Tau (go weeaboo Space-Commies) and other stories as well down the line. It would probably be hard doing a Necron or Tyranid PoV-story though lol.

And it will be interesting how they choose to depict Space Marines. While their general design has stayed pretty consistent for the most part, various people have taken artistic license in terms of how tall/broad etc. they are. The scale that always made sense for me was around 7'6" without gear and around 8' in power armour, because it fits with how they are otherwise described towering head and shoulders above most normal people, including tall individuals. But depending on the author, you get everything between 2 and 3 meters. But the 3-meter mark should more be Primarch territory, really.

Mikkelsen could be awesome. I could possibly see him as either young or old Eisenhorn, depending on how they do his makeup. However, maybe it's just me getting used to him in certain roles, but I feel like he'd be best as a Pontius Glaw, Big Bad type villain.

That's how I visualize Space Marines from all the books and others readings I've taken in. Average height of 7'6" and massively built, with some rare taller marines being over 8' but under 9', out of armor.

So even a tall human at 6'6" is still a foot shorter and overall dwarfed due to the Marine's height and bulk combination.

9' is where I imagine the smaller of the Primarch start at, with some reaching 10+ like Horus and Vulkan.

Magnus was the tallest and seemed to be an exception, yeah?

Old Post Sep 6th, 2019 09:04 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden_2.0
Awful

Not a Warhammer fan by any means but they should get the guy who did Astartes to do it. That was phenomenal for being done by 1 guy

Old Post Sep 6th, 2019 09:46 PM
jaden_2.0 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden_2.0 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden_2.0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

Originally posted by Robtard
That's how I visualize Space Marines from all the books and others readings I've taken in. Average height of 7'6" and massively built, with some rare taller marines being over 8' but under 9', out of armor.

So even a tall human at 6'6" is still a foot shorter and overall dwarfed due to the Marine's height and bulk combination.

9' is where I imagine the smaller of the Primarch start at, with some reaching 10+ like Horus and Vulkan.

Magnus was the tallest and seemed to be an exception, yeah?
Space Marines are, in most material, slated at seven foot even on average, with some variance like Arjac Rockfist of the Space Wolves who is huge for a Marine, or "Little" Horus Aximand who is relatively short.

What makes Marines particularly imposing isn't their height, but their proportionately massive frames. A seven foot tall man would still be much smaller in volume than a seven foot tall marine.

Primarch height is harder to say, though Lion El'Jonson is describe as three meters or about ten feet tall in Descent of Angels, which fits their description as dwarfing any Marine. Alpharius is a runt by comparison to the extent that taller Marines can pose as him convincingly, and Vulkan or Ferrus Manus are notably large. Magnus is often cited as the tallest of the Primarchs, but his psychic powers allow him to alter his stature, at one point in A Thousand Sons being just slightly taller than Ahriman to not intimidate a Remembrancer he was speaking with, and at another point growing to the size of a Titan. In Battle of the Fang he is described as five meters or over seventeen feet while he is taking on a form reminiscent of his pre-Daemon one.

Old Post Sep 7th, 2019 01:02 AM
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

What makes Marines particularly imposing isn't their height, but their proportionately massive frames. A seven foot tall man would still be much smaller in volume than a seven foot tall marine.

Yeah, it's really more about the overall bulk. Because Marines aren't just tall, they're scaled up in every term. This image has the Marine somewhere between that 7-8 foot mark. But it's not really the height that's imposing. It's the fact that a Marine in armour is almost three times as broad as a normal person, on top of being that tall:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/...B8Mhy4Dn8qhmaQx

But yeah, it really depends on the writer. For example, Garviel Loken is described as being around 2 and a half meters in full armour in one of the early HH novels, IIRC, which would put him around that 8-foot mark I mentioned earlier. But yeah, in some books and fluff, marines are shorter. And I know way back in the day, when they were originally conceived, they were supposed to be around 7-feet.

As for Primarch heights? That's tough. Yeah, I think it was in Descent of Angels where they slate the Lion as just under 3 meters tall. But height varied even among the Primarchs. IIRC, guys like Ferrus were also really tall and literally stood a head taller than guys like Fulgrim. And given the sheer scale of the Primarchs, that could be a difference of over a foot in height. I've seen some rather hilarious attempts at scaling that has the Emperor at the size of a Dreadnaught, basically.

The cover art for a lot of the HH novels really don't help. If you compare Russ on the cover of Prospero Burns to Guilliman and Sanguinius on the cover of Unremembered Empire, it's rather lolworthy. Scaling off the regular people around them, Russ would barely reach the navel of the other two. Which we know is wrong.

Last edited by TheVaultDweller on Sep 7th, 2019 at 03:39 AM

Old Post Sep 7th, 2019 03:25 AM
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

But that pic does get the idea behind scale across, in terms of Marines IMO. It's not about the fact that they look down at you while talking to you. It's about the fact that their armoured fist is about the size of your whole head. And there have been instances in the lore where a Marine has killed a regular human by simply grabbing their head with one hand and crushing their skull.

Old Post Sep 7th, 2019 03:53 AM
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

Originally posted by jaden_2.0
Not a Warhammer fan by any means but they should get the guy who did Astartes to do it. That was phenomenal for being done by 1 guy

Yeah, I like that one. There are some extremely talented people out there who are part of the WH40K fandom. Here is another one that's less on action, but still pretty well done IMO:

Old Post Sep 7th, 2019 04:16 AM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

I don't know much about the universe, but I'll check it out.

I do have that awesome Space Marine game on steam.

Old Post Sep 7th, 2019 03:54 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Space Marines are, in most material, slated at seven foot even on average, with some variance like Arjac Rockfist of the Space Wolves who is huge for a Marine, or "Little" Horus Aximand who is relatively short.

Primarch height is harder to say, though Lion El'Jonson is describe as three meters or about ten feet tall in Descent of Angels, which fits their description as dwarfing any Marine. Alpharius is a runt by comparison to the extent that taller Marines can pose as him convincingly, and Vulkan or Ferrus Manus are notably large. Magnus is often cited as the tallest of the Primarchs, but his psychic powers allow him to alter his stature, at one point in A Thousand Sons being just slightly taller than Ahriman to not intimidate a Remembrancer he was speaking with, and at another point growing to the size of a Titan. In Battle of the Fang he is described as five meters or over seventeen feet while he is taking on a form reminiscent of his pre-Daemon one.

Fair enough break down, I always took it as a bit taller on average.

Right on with you in regards in mass/frame.

What do you think about these new Primaris Marines? Not read any books on them, just some info here/there.

Old Post Sep 9th, 2019 04:49 PM