KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » TV Talk Forum » Your top 20 Sci Fi series of all time (excluding fantasy- space time related only)

Your top 20 Sci Fi series of all time (excluding fantasy- space time related only)
Started by: beatboks

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
beatboks
ready for the loony bin

Your top 20 Sci Fi series of all time (excluding fantasy- space time related only)

I've seen some list recently of top 50 sci fis and it got me thinking

This (as I said) is for pure science related as in space, future, or time related science fictions. This BTW is live action only not cartoons or puppets

Mine are

1. Blake's 7 - Avon makes this show first real tv anti-hero

2. Mandalorian - this was a no brainer and almost 1.

3. The Expanse - there are no words to describe how awesome this show is in soooo many ways, it just can't overcome my nostalgia for blakes 7 and MANDO was just that much more awesome.

4. Firefly - such a diverse crew dynamic and not the usual motives

5. Strange new worlds, finally a star trek that just pips TOS

6. Dr who - classic and timeless (no pun intended) 4th Dr always my favorite

7. ST -TOS - none of these others would even be here without it breaking the ground.

8. Babylon 5 - what a world building, not only races and political intrigue but very rich histories to all races.

9. Kill Joy's- space bounty hunters who wouldn't love it

10. Dark Matter, a crew of villains mind wiped become the heroes of the universe, not just space but an analysis of nature over nurture.

11. Time tunnel - yeah the effects would never fly today but a classic.

12. Red dwarf- Sci Fi with a laugh to boot.

13. ST, Next Gen - it rates lower than other for me because the characters are ablittle stiff/rigid compared to others. They fit a little too neatly into holes

14. Battlestar Galactica - don't even feel the need to pick a version

15. Lost in space, the Netflix remake is awesome and really should be higher on my list but I just can bring myself to bump others down.

16. V (Visitor) the 80s tv mini series event that absolutely blew my mind. That made reptilian aliens with face human skins have a Nazi like manner and the world fell under their spell.

17. ST, DS9- really looked into a different side of the federation

18. Farscape - few new tropes from the standard sci fi

19. Timeless, I'm not even sure why but I really liked this show

20. Buck Rogers- I know how cornball it was but I just can't have a list of favorite tv space related sci fis without old Buck, Twiki, cnl Dearring and Dr Theo naming the list

I considered ST, Voyager jumping to 20 ahead of Buck Rogers. I know I'm one-off the few fans of of this show. The thing is I like it for the exact opposite reason I like TPS, SNW and even Next Gen. In those shows we have a strong Captian who always seems to know what to do and makes the bold moves. In Voyager we instead have a crew of Kirk like jump into action officers all willing at some point to defy the stickler for rules prudish Capt. Jayneway succeeds because her crew does what's need to be done despite her. Problem is that makes a pretty central character undermine the purpose of being there.

I also thought space: Above and beyond would have made the list and was surprised it didn't.

So that's my top 20 space/time based lice action Sci-Fis what are yours?

For the record Obi Wan isn't here because IMHO his shownis fantasy. I might make a Fantasy and Superhero list thread later.

Last edited by beatboks on Aug 13th, 2022 at 10:33 AM

Old Post Aug 13th, 2022 10:29 AM
beatboks is currently offline Click here to Send beatboks a Private Message Find more posts by beatboks Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by beatboks
I've seen some list recently of top 50 sci fis and it got me thinking

This (as I said) is for pure science related as in space, future, or time related science fictions. This BTW is live action only not cartoons or puppets

Mine are

1. Blake's 7 - Avon makes this show first real tv anti-hero

2. Mandalorian - this was a no brainer and almost 1.

3. The Expanse - there are no words to describe how awesome this show is in soooo many ways, it just can't overcome my nostalgia for blakes 7 and MANDO was just that much more awesome.

4. Firefly - such a diverse crew dynamic and not the usual motives

5. Strange new worlds, finally a star trek that just pips TOS

6. Dr who - classic and timeless (no pun intended) 4th Dr always my favorite

7. ST -TOS - none of these others would even be here without it breaking the ground.

8. Babylon 5 - what a world building, not only races and political intrigue but very rich histories to all races.

9. Kill Joy's- space bounty hunters who wouldn't love it

10. Dark Matter, a crew of villains mind wiped become the heroes of the universe, not just space but an analysis of nature over nurture.

11. Time tunnel - yeah the effects would never fly today but a classic.

12. Red dwarf- Sci Fi with a laugh to boot.

13. ST, Next Gen - it rates lower than other for me because the characters are ablittle stiff/rigid compared to others. They fit a little too neatly into holes

14. Battlestar Galactica - don't even feel the need to pick a version

15. Lost in space, the Netflix remake is awesome and really should be higher on my list but I just can bring myself to bump others down.

16. V (Visitor) the 80s tv mini series event that absolutely blew my mind. That made reptilian aliens with face human skins have a Nazi like manner and the world fell under their spell.

17. ST, DS9- really looked into a different side of the federation

18. Farscape - few new tropes from the standard sci fi

19. Timeless, I'm not even sure why but I really liked this show

20. Buck Rogers- I know how cornball it was but I just can't have a list of favorite tv space related sci fis without old Buck, Twiki, cnl Dearring and Dr Theo naming the list

I considered ST, Voyager jumping to 20 ahead of Buck Rogers. I know I'm one-off the few fans of of this show. The thing is I like it for the exact opposite reason I like TPS, SNW and even Next Gen. In those shows we have a strong Captian who always seems to know what to do and makes the bold moves. In Voyager we instead have a crew of Kirk like jump into action officers all willing at some point to defy the stickler for rules prudish Capt. Jayneway succeeds because her crew does what's need to be done despite her. Problem is that makes a pretty central character undermine the purpose of being there.

I also thought space: Above and beyond would have made the list and was surprised it didn't.

So that's my top 20 space/time based lice action Sci-Fis what are yours?

For the record Obi Wan isn't here because IMHO his shownis fantasy. I might make a Fantasy and Superhero list thread later.
Blakes 7, was great 40 years ago, but has not stood the test of time in my opinion. Not like Star Trek the Original series.

Old Post Aug 13th, 2022 11:58 AM
Old Man Whirly! is currently offline Click here to Send Old Man Whirly! a Private Message Find more posts by Old Man Whirly! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nuke Nixon
One Shot, One Kill

In no order...

QUANTUM LEAP
SPACE: ABOVE AND BEYOND
BABYLON 5
THE OUTER LIMITS
ORPHAN BLACK
FIREFLY
FRINGE
THE EXPANSE
BLACK MIRROR
STRANGER THINGS
THE X-FILES
STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION
STAR TREK: DEEP SPACE 9
DOCTOR WHO (MODERN ERA)
BATTLESTAR GALACTICA (2005)
FARSCAPE
STARGATE SG-1
WAREHOUSE 13
SEAQUEST DSV
SANCTUARY

Old Post Aug 13th, 2022 12:15 PM
Nuke Nixon is currently offline Click here to Send Nuke Nixon a Private Message Find more posts by Nuke Nixon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

STtoS No TV show is as good.

Orville truly the best "Star Trek" show since the original series.

STtNG

X files season 1 and 2

Stranger Things (is it Sci Fi really?)

Heroes Season 1is it Sci Fi?

WESTWORLD is very Good

Misfits

Eureka

Farscape

Doll's House Season 1

Black Mirror, erratic but fun.

Shows that have dated or declined but had great impact at the time.

The six million dollar man season 1 + 2 especially the pilot.

Firefly

All other Star Trek shows

Stargate franchise

Both battlestar galactica

The Pretender

The Omega factor, needs a remake (was it banned)

Quatermass 1980's (seriously needs a remake)

Sliders

B5

Dr Who

Blakes 7

UFO early 70's

The Tomorrow people early 70's version.

Timeslip early 70's

Children of the stones early 70's needs a remake

Sky early 70's

Quartermass late 70's

Dark Angel

Shows that ended too early

Odyssey 5 late 90's

Earth 2 early 90's

Now and again late 90's

Last edited by Old Man Whirly! on Aug 13th, 2022 at 12:45 PM

Old Post Aug 13th, 2022 12:35 PM
Old Man Whirly! is currently offline Click here to Send Old Man Whirly! a Private Message Find more posts by Old Man Whirly! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

1 - Star Trek - I'm not going to divide them up. Star Trek is my favourite franchise so it's going to be number one anyway. Rating wise:

DS9
TNG
TOS
ENT
VOY

Never watched all of TAS so can't judge it properly. As far as the newer stuff (post Enterprise), I think it all ranges from mediocre to horrendously poor, so I don't really count it at all.

After that? In loose-ish order bar the first two-three.

Stargate SG-1/Atlantis
V (Original Mini/Series)
X-Files
Sliders (Amazing show that shit the bed so hard in later seasons. Stopped it becoming a classic)
Battlestar Galactica (Remake)
Quantum Leap
The Orville (Literally the best, and closest thing to a good Star Trek show on TV right now)
Space: Above and Beyond
Outer Limits
Dark Angel
Now And Again
Dark Skies
Seaquest DSV
The Strain
Fringe
Battlestar Galactica (Original)
Babylon 5
Doctor Who (I could take or leave a lot of it, but some of the Tennant and Smith stuff reaches incredible heights of what I consider great sci fi)
Andromeda

==

Honourable Mentions:

Dead Zone
Earth: Final Conflict
The Expanse (only because I'm still way behind and trying to catch up. It's very good so far)
Sense8
Torchwood (Good show even if it got real weird later on)
Terra Nova (Could have been something if it had been given the chance and the budget)
Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles
Firefly

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Aug 13th, 2022 05:20 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

The Mandalorian
Star Trek: TNG
The X-Files
The Outer Limits
The original Twilight Zone

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post Aug 13th, 2022 06:44 PM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Nuke Nixon
In no order...

QUANTUM LEAP
SPACE: ABOVE AND BEYOND
BABYLON 5
THE OUTER LIMITS
ORPHAN BLACK
FIREFLY
FRINGE
THE EXPANSE
BLACK MIRROR
STRANGER THINGS
THE X-FILES
STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION
STAR TREK: DEEP SPACE 9
DOCTOR WHO (MODERN ERA)
BATTLESTAR GALACTICA (2005)
FARSCAPE
STARGATE SG-1
WAREHOUSE 13
SEAQUEST DSV
SANCTUARY
never heard of Orphan Black... have just watched episode 1 and 2... Excellent.

Old Post Aug 13th, 2022 09:06 PM
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

IN NO PECULIAR ORDER

star trek tng
star trek ds9
battlestar galictica(both versions)
star trek picard
star trek strange new worlds
Orphan Black
Fringe
babylon 5
the mandalorian/kenobi
six million dollar man/bionic woman
stargate atlantis
stargate sg-1
westworld
lost in space
star trek voyager
twilight zone(original)
doctor who(original)

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Aug 13th, 2022 09:39 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
beatboks
ready for the loony bin

quote:

WAREHOUSE 13
SEAQUEST DSV
SANCTUARY

quote:

Eureka
Dark Angel
The Tomorrow people early 70's version.

quote:

Dead Zone
Earth: Final Conflict

Jesus's, forgot all these.
Great shows every 1.

Don't know how I forgot warehouse 13 and Eureka as I'm currently rewatching both.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2022 11:10 AM
beatboks is currently offline Click here to Send beatboks a Private Message Find more posts by beatboks Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
beatboks
ready for the loony bin

Originally posted by Old Man Whirly!
Blakes 7, was great 40 years ago, but has not stood the test of time in my opinion. Not like Star Trek the Original series.

Personal perspective, I guess.
For me it did.
I gave up playing soccer because training time conflicted with when season 3 and 4 aired on the ABC on Thursday night.

I have all 4 seasons on box set (compared to none of TOS, 4 Next Gen and 5 seasons of B5).

I've watched most of the seasons so many times (ironically it's probably season 1 that I've watched the least often of the 4). So maybe it held up as well for me as I've seen it almost as often as I've seen reruns of TOS.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2022 11:22 AM
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

As Mando is being regarded as Scfi it goes in my top 10 straight away. In fact all three of yhe recent star wars and halo are top 20 for me.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2022 09:14 PM
shiv
Spirit of Tengu

Thanks for making this discussion.

I'm going to make another discussion topic (I found this discussion via Search) as there are some series which fall outside this discussion's set parameters.

Ok. These are the best Science Fiction (Advanced Technology) Tv Series I've Seen:

Terminator The Sarah Connor Chronicles

Travelers 2016

Person Of Interest

I recommend watching a lot of Time Travel Films and Tv Series which came out before 2009 before you get into Travelers.

It won't hold your hand.

If you've never seen Terminator 1 and 2. You really should before you get any where near watching:

TSCC

Travelers 2016

Person Of Interest

I recommend watching Person of Interest After Travelers. The two shows are completely different. But.... you'll notice some thing and if you do it this way, the feeling you'll get will be more positive.

Battlestar Galactica 1979

***Battlestar Galactica The 1980s series I liked it. I found it watchable and cheesy in a good way*** YMMV

MacGyver

MacGyver has a few different genres, the first couple of seasons... if you like science and you like entertainment... you will be entertained.

Knight Rider

Street Hawk

Battlestar Galactica The 2000s Series

I'm working my way through Babylon 5 I'm going to give Stargate a chance (sometime) Right now... I'm considering starting The Expanse.

I dropped Orphan Black. I'm pretty sure she does a great acting performance. It's just too teeny and young adult for me. I bailed out in the first ep when she's in the bar or some thing having a pointless conversation with some teenage boy. I bailed on Manifest (Is it called Manifest Re-entry, whatever) Omg The Melodrama. I also bailed out on Journeyman and Life on Mars (The 1st Version). Journeyman ... As I got into it, I didn't care for the MC ... or his wife.12 Monkeys ... yes they had a great budget for high quality film equipment... unfortunately for 12 Monkeys I tried watching it right after completing Travelers... I found Continuum to be weak. Weakly written. Sense8 to be Magic/Fantasy ... Dropped it in the first episode. Life On Mars is it even science fiction. I found it to be another cop show but with a twist. I found Y The Last Man to be Hot Garbage. Maybe If I'd never read (or heard of) the Comic Book Series I'd be able to even think about it without shaking my head. I was not surprised to find out it was cancelled after only 1 season.

My Top 9 Sci Fi Tv Shows Which Fit This Discussions Set Parameters:

Knight Rider, Street Hawk, MacGyver, BSG 1979, BSG 2000s, TSCC, Travelers, Person Of Interest, Star Trek TNG.

Knight Rider isn't classified by the internet as Sci Fi.... But isn't Fully Developed Sentient Artificial Intelligence... Science Fiction.

From a writing point of view, the first season of MacGyver has more detailed focus on science in each episode than the first season of Babylon 5. (Note: The science if MacGyver is a mix of Real Science and Science That Is Fiction).

Last edited by shiv on Apr 27th, 2023 at 10:09 PM

Old Post Apr 27th, 2023 10:03 PM
shiv is currently offline Click here to Send shiv a Private Message Find more posts by shiv Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Babylon 5 is so overrated.

The fact is, the Shadow War ends in a bigger letdown then The Long Winter.

"Get out of my solar system!"

"Ok."

Utter bullshit.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Apr 28th, 2023 02:17 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by cdtm
Babylon 5 is so overrated.

The fact is, the Shadow War ends in a bigger letdown then The Long Winter.

"Get out of my solar system!"

"Ok."

Utter bullshit.
True! This thread is still gold and good natured. I wish more had contributed.

Old Post Jul 18th, 2023 12:31 PM