KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » Who was Obi Wans master

Who was Obi Wans master
Started by: PSYCHO422

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
PSYCHO422

Who was Obi Wans master

I'm just wondering in Episode 1 Qui Gon Jin was Obi Wans master but in The Empire Strikes Back Yoda was supposed to be his master. If you think about it Episode 1 had a lot of mistakes in it makes you think how many mistakes Episode 2 will have.

Old Post Jun 28th, 2001 08:48 AM
Click here to Send PSYCHO422 a Private Message Find more posts by PSYCHO422 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Raz
Meister

Admin

Yoda did teach Obi-Wan. QGJ just took over his training before Ep1...or something along those lines.

Also, this is the support forum. I'll move this over to the Ep2 forum.

Old Post Jun 28th, 2001 08:59 PM
Click here to Send Raz a Private Message Find more posts by Raz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

You got it all wrong!
Yoda DID train Obi, he did that for 800 years (TESB line!!).With Qui-Gonn Obi-Wan was just a PadawanLEARNER, he wasn't a trainee but a learner this for completing his skills, especially on the living Force wink

Old Post Jul 16th, 2001 02:29 AM
Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Errr... you make it sound there for a moment that Yoda taught Ben for 800 years...

In any case, Qui-Gon WAS Obi-Wan's Master (numerous TPM lines, also Qu-Gon calls Obi-Wan his apprentice). So was Yoda. A man can have more than one Master in his life, and the situation is pretty much as Raz says.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Jul 16th, 2001 03:15 AM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dim
Creativity

Yeah, there's not reason to think otherwise.

Old Post Jul 16th, 2001 10:22 AM
Click here to Send Dim a Private Message Find more posts by Dim Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

Darn, no Yoda didn't train him for 800 years. But in TESB:
"For 800 years, have I trained Jedi, I will decide who is ready and who is not!"
So Yoda trains people, OB1 is Qui-Gonns padawan/apprentice (TPM: "An apprentice you already have""It's against the rules to take another""The code forbids it!")
A padawan is an apprentice (that is clear, right?). But I just know that we have to take apprentice like medi-evil period, there an apprentice was somebody who went to a MASTER (=> Qui-Gonn!) to complete his skills. Complete as in: there will be no surprise for you when you must be on your one.

Old Post Jul 17th, 2001 12:30 AM
Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Yes, indeedy. Though as I think I pointed out before, while the term 'Padawan' carries with it some degree of inexperience, the term 'apprentice' does not necessaily mean you are no good. Maul was an apprentice not because he was impotent (he was clearly VERY competent), but simply because he had a superior Master he was working for, and probably learning from in an adavcned sense.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Old Post Jul 17th, 2001 12:46 AM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

The way I see it is that Yoda trained him in his younger year before the status as padawan.
When he reached the status of padawan he was assigned to Quoi-Gon who would fullfill his training.
So in a way both of them are Obi-Wans masters.

Old Post Jul 17th, 2001 12:46 AM
Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

Yep, you can say that, but the most important thing is that the sentence is correct

Old Post Jul 17th, 2001 11:05 PM
Bragg2012
BAD MONKEY

Well.........I think Yoda teaches Obi Wan after Qui is a "gonna" (pun intended) wink

Mybe not for a long time but Obi wan learns the disapearing ghost trick thingy. If you know what im sayin, so maybe when Ani goes to the dark site he gets a little more in depth training from yoda. This extra training must take place somewhere between Ep2 and ANH. so EP3? big grin

Old Post Jul 17th, 2001 11:17 PM
Click here to Send Bragg2012 a Private Message Find more posts by Bragg2012 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

Extra training? Did you see the last dual of OB1? I hope it was the age because he sucked!
He can sure use the training! evil face

Old Post Jul 18th, 2001 12:49 AM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Yes, it was age. Mind you, it was still a highly-skilled rapier fight, with plays for centre and everything. just that sort of thing doesn't look as good as, say, Nick Gillard's stuff...

BtVS

Old Post Jul 18th, 2001 01:02 AM
yerssot

Ok, it was age, but I don't think OB1 was putting up a fight!

Old Post Jul 18th, 2001 01:52 AM
JediOasis
Better Man

He wasn't really trying to. All he wanted to do was buy time for Luke to save Leia. It was not his "destiny" to destroy Vader.

"I loved it the first time I saw it. It's goodies and baddies, cowboys and Indians in space. I was a child when it came out and it still appeals to me now. It is one of my favourite films ever and Darth Vader is best."
-Noel Gallagher

Old Post Jul 18th, 2001 08:38 AM
Click here to Send JediOasis a Private Message Find more posts by JediOasis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Until he deliberately let up his guard at the end of the fight Obi-Wan maintained a classic pose throughout the whole fight that any fencer would be proud off. His circular sweeps were well timed; the only thing out of place was that little twirl did.

It weas a good choice of fight for both of them; the cripple vs. the disillusioned old man; neither with the amazing skills they once had but both with decades of experience.

BtVS

Old Post Jul 18th, 2001 10:09 PM
Bragg2012
BAD MONKEY

quote:
Originally posted by Ushgarak:
<STRONG>the cripple vs. the disillusioned old man.</STRONG>

laughing out loud LMAO laughing out loud

Old Post Jul 18th, 2001 11:31 PM
Click here to Send Bragg2012 a Private Message Find more posts by Bragg2012 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

Why not kill Vader? The galaxy would be very gratefull to OB1!

Old Post Jul 18th, 2001 11:48 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Well, Vader was putting up a good fight as well, considering his physical condition. It could have gone on for hours like that, and time was not on Obi-Wan's side.

BTW, BRagg, glad you found that funny, I can't really claim credit because they are virtually the words of GL himself; just cut the 'disillusioned' bit.

BtVS

Old Post Jul 19th, 2001 12:12 AM
yerssot

Say what you want, but give me the action! Well, if you have seen Dual Of The Fates, everything seems nothing.

Old Post Jul 20th, 2001 12:56 AM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Oh yeah, I'm not pretending it LOOKED good. It was just technically accurate. It was good to have an Old master's gight in the film but we wouldn't want them to make a habit of it...

BtVS

Old Post Jul 20th, 2001 06:23 AM