KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » Lightsabers and water

Lightsabers and water
Started by: VengeanceGOD

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
VengeanceGOD

Lightsabers and water

Ok, so as we know, [SPOILER - highlight to read]: It's been confirmed that there's an underwater lightsaber fight in Episode 3. Now this was originally considered to cause major problems, since in Episode I Obi-wan gets yelled at for getting his saber wet.

But I was thinking about it, and in Episode II, Obi has a lightsaber fight in driving kaminoan rain. He loses the saber, and it gets rained on for quite a while before he get back to it. If sabers were that vunerable to water, it would've been completely shot by the time he got there. So I figure it's canon by Episode II that sabers CAN get wet.

Old Post Jan 27th, 2004 10:51 PM
Click here to Send VengeanceGOD a Private Message Find more posts by VengeanceGOD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

actually, the movies overrule EVERYTHING
so technically, you can drop the EpI arguement smile

so, yes, apperently they CAN stand water smile

Old Post Jan 27th, 2004 10:55 PM
Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xeous
The Next.

Maybe it's the new technology wink

Old Post Jan 27th, 2004 11:42 PM
Click here to Send xeous a Private Message Find more posts by xeous Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

as long as they don't beam someone up scotty stick out tongue

Old Post Jan 27th, 2004 11:42 PM
Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xeous
The Next.

There should be a clash between our Universe in the Star Trek Era vs The Star Wars Era...you know, like they fall through a worm hole or something to get the timeframes to match up...

Old Post Jan 27th, 2004 11:49 PM
Click here to Send xeous a Private Message Find more posts by xeous Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Member.

An underwater fight scene would be cool.

Old Post Jan 28th, 2004 02:41 AM
Click here to Send Member. a Private Message Find more posts by Member. Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rebel Racer
Webmaster

ep3 is gonna suck ( i know, that was a bit off-topic, but i shouldn't start a new thread just to say that).

Imagine what you'll "know" tomorrow.

Old Post Jan 28th, 2004 05:09 AM
Click here to Send Rebel Racer a Private Message Find more posts by Rebel Racer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Jello
Cheese Spelunker

the underwater thing will not be a fight. the issue is not about water screwing up the saber, the issue is the saber being designed to work in the density of certain range of gaseous atmospheres. water is a different medium so the lightsaber force field screws up and malfunctions (this is assuming that the saber is a bunch of photons frozen by some sort of field.) Fisto's cartoon lightsaber looks different and is specialized for water. it would probably break in air.

Wonder when will it'll all be over...
Living in a void when the void grows colder...
Wonder when it'll all be over?
Will you be laughing when it's over?

Old Post Jan 28th, 2004 05:23 AM
Click here to Send Darth Jello a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Jello Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

but you can't take Fisto in the cartoon as canon wink

Old Post Jan 28th, 2004 11:55 AM
Member.

lol cartoon.

Old Post Jan 28th, 2004 04:20 PM
Click here to Send Member. a Private Message Find more posts by Member. Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
.:Vegeta14:.
''Super-Saiyan''

i think it is a, special kind of lightsabre for underwater battles...

THE PRINCE OF EVIL...!

I Will Galit Gun Your Ass!!!

Cool People:
Exa, Kit, sauron, mw741 and others...

Old Post Jan 28th, 2004 05:12 PM
Click here to Send .:Vegeta14:. a Private Message Find more posts by .:Vegeta14:. Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Leog14

I think that the lightsaber has to be waterproof. I mean c'mon, how can you have an underwater battle without any blaster shooting or lightsaber swinging.

Old Post Jan 28th, 2004 06:34 PM
Click here to Send Leog14 a Private Message Find more posts by Leog14 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xeous
The Next.

It's probably just zipped up in a ziplock bag.

Old Post Jan 28th, 2004 06:38 PM
Darth Jello
Cheese Spelunker

[SPOILER - highlight to read]: they aren't fighting in water, the water is going to be digitally altered to be fuel. the whole point is that they can't ignite their lightsaber because that will ignite the fuel

Old Post Jan 28th, 2004 11:23 PM
Click here to Send Darth Jello a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Jello Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Member.

lol, where'd u get that ?

Old Post Jan 29th, 2004 03:57 AM
Lyn
Jedi_Chick

Yeah, that's an interesting rumour.

Thanks Ben-Kenobi for the Sig!

Old Post Jan 31st, 2004 04:06 AM
Click here to Send Lyn a Private Message Find more posts by Lyn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xeous
The Next.

And how will they breathe?

Old Post Jan 31st, 2004 04:47 AM
Mr.Deflok

Obi-Wans lightsaber in Ep1 shorted out because he tried to use it in the water (if memory of the Ep1 Screenplay Book serves me right). In Ep2 the saber is off during the Jango battle when it's left out to soak.

Fitso's saber was supposed to have some sort of bi-blahblah mechanism, meaning that it turned on and off at a very rapid rate. However the creator of the show later confirmed that he made that up after he was questioned about it.

Old Post Jan 31st, 2004 05:23 AM
Click here to Send Mr.Deflok a Private Message Find more posts by Mr.Deflok Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Jello
Cheese Spelunker

ok, this is from a number of sources, including, if you recall, an interview with Nick Gillard stating that there was a scene involving flooding fuel. this is directly from the collaborative plot summary from shadow of the sith- [SPOILER - highlight to read]: R2-D2 causes a distraction by creating a smokescreen (as he will later do on Bespin during the events of The Empire Strikes Back), and Kenobi and Skywalker escape up a steep ramp and quickly make their move: Obi-Wan cuts with his lightsaber into the ground to escape, while Anakin (more willing to stay and fight it out) holds off the enemy.

The two jump down through the opening and land in another room: the engine room. When they jump down the room is already filling with liquid fuel due to bombardment from Republic forces attacking from space. Droids appear above them looking down through the hole Kenobi has made, but they do not fire. They see the fuel and understand the consequences should they try to blast the Jedi. However, other droids actually start to make their way around to the entrance door to the engine room...

The fuel fills the room quickly and the ship rocks and shakes from the bombardment outside - the Republic forces are beginning to get the upper hand in the space battle.

The droids enter the fuel-filled room, and the Jedi must come up with ways to destroy them without igniting their lightsabers. Realizing they are no safer here than before, Kenobi and Skywalker quickly search for an alternate way out as they battle the droids.

The fuel is filling the room very quickly, but the Jedi finally find a shaft with a ladder connected to the side. They climb up and out to another room. As battle droids climb out of the fuel and up the ladder, they cover the shaft up with its hatch. Anakin welds it shut. The droids are trapped in the shaft and in the engine room. The fuel continues rising higher, dangerously close to some kind of control panel on the wall...

Old Post Jan 31st, 2004 06:01 AM
Darth Jello
Cheese Spelunker

again this whole thing is from the opening battle on the federation flag ship

Old Post Jan 31st, 2004 06:03 AM