KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » ep2 doesn't just look bad, it looks really bad

ep2 doesn't just look bad, it looks really bad
Started by: sivelio

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
sivelio

ep2 doesn't just look bad, it looks really bad

I hate to say it, but based on the trailer I just saw with LOOTR, ep2 looks like disaster. Everyone in the theater received the trailer with shocked silence and several murmers of "My god that looks bad" and "What were they thinking casting that jailbait looking kid as Anakin". This reaction is in complete contrast to the ep1 reception--cheers and hollers-- and even Return of the Jedi (The first movie I ever saw at 4 years old). Since I'm a huge fan of the series it was pretty painful to watch the laughably stilted acting of Hayden Christenson ("It's all Obi Wan's fault!!" was received by jeers and laughter from the entire theater) and the over-earnest operatic singing that accompanyed the trailer
(by the way, is there a single recent fantasy movie that can resist using Wagner-style choral singing to spoonfeed the "epic" theme
of the movie to the audience? Lucas never relied on such gimmicks in eps 1-3--the epic theme spoke for itself.) Even if it meant waiting another year for the movie I'd be in favor of recasting Anakin--but of course that's impossible now. In any case, a viewing of that toy commercial, ep1, and this recent trailer leads one to this sad conclusion: the director of classics like "American Graffiti" and "Star Wars" is dead.

Old Post Jan 17th, 2002 08:59 PM
Click here to Send sivelio a Private Message Find more posts by sivelio Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

Then you are one of the first that doesn't had comment on EpI!!!
A lot of discussions about Jake Lloyd, the story, etc.

And that epic music thing... Duel of the Fates is created, and from what I've heared it will slowly transform into another music piece that is used in the original trilogy.

Hey, Hayden is unknown here, and so is the movie, give him and the movie a fair shot!

And don't think that EpI is also a succes for selling toys! There are a lot of toys that are from before the movie!

Old Post Jan 17th, 2002 10:00 PM
Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Hmm. Your point about choral soundtracks isn't completely off the ball, but it doesn't matter if something has been done before, onlt if it is done WELL, as A New Hope well demonstrated- totally unoriginal story, brilliant film.

Duel of the Fates is a stunning piece of music and it works perfectly.

And you may say the audience you were with found it crap; well, the audience I was with loved it. Some love, some hate... it's thew way with ALL films.

We will wait and see, anyway.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Jan 18th, 2002 12:12 AM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ratcat

I love it when you get a troll like this. Let's judge a film on 60 seconds of jumpled footage, why not?

Sure, you're entitled to you opinion, but I have seen far too many posts like this, on many different boards, where people join, make some big, inflamatory statement about how crappy Episode-II will be and then disappear, never to be seen again.

Maybe you will post again, whatever.

For my money I will base my opinion on what I see on screen come May 16th. Anything prior to that date would just be rumour and speculation... smile

Old Post Jan 18th, 2002 09:46 AM
Click here to Send Ratcat a Private Message Find more posts by Ratcat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
master harmax

Relax guys - let's not lose it over nothing - it's gonna be a pretty kick-ass StarWars movie when it releases on the 16th of May ...
like Ushgarak said you can't please everyone anyway. All said and done, Lucas hasn't seriously let us down yet - and that includes TPM.
So wait till 16th May and enjoy -
(except I'll have to wait for almost 2 months more because AOTC releases in India only on July 5th) sad

Old Post Jan 18th, 2002 10:38 AM
Click here to Send master harmax a Private Message Find more posts by master harmax Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mah
J-type 327 Nubian

hayden christensen showed good acting in the trailer.
+everything else looked good.

Old Post Jan 18th, 2002 11:08 AM
Click here to Send mah a Private Message Find more posts by mah Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ratcat

ATTN DARTH YOGI

I mistakenly deleted you post when attempting to delete a dumplicate post from master harmax. I have managed to retrieve the contents and reproduced them below.

Let me assure you that this had NOTHING to do with the content of the post and EVERYTHING to do with my stupidity. embarrasment

quote:
DarthYogis Post
Well I guess I've been around this forum long enough for people to know I didn't just come here to annoy and leave... but I think this Sivelio chappie has a point.

As for the responses he's got - Yersot, Ratcat - not up to your usual standard at all!

Surely a trailer is put out precisely so people can judge a film in 60 secsonds? What an ill-concieved attempt at handling what was, I thought - whether Sivelio is sincere or not - a perfectly reasonable appraisal of early indicators for EPII.

No doubt when AOTC comes out it will be splendid (I'll love it even if I hate it...) but in the meantime I agree with Sivelio - it doesn't look good at the moment.

I can't believe how you've tried to blow his/her comments off, though (and calling them a troll for having contrary views to your own..?) - surely a far better response would be to point Sivelio at the thread about Lucas deliberately generating low expectations having learned his lesson with over-hyping TPM?

Old Post Jan 18th, 2002 11:09 AM
Click here to Send Ratcat a Private Message Find more posts by Ratcat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mah
J-type 327 Nubian

if the trailers are made to make expectations low, then I really look forward to AOTC.

Old Post Jan 18th, 2002 11:14 AM
Click here to Send mah a Private Message Find more posts by mah Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ratcat

And no a response...
quote:
Surely a trailer is put out precisely so people can judge a film in 60 secsonds
I wouldn't agree. A trailer is there to tantilise and tease. It could be argued that it failed in this, but I think the general consensus is that it achieved this. Certainly I have seen both cinema trailers in theaters and the reaction described above is the complete opposite of the onbe I witnessed.

quote:
I can't believe how you've tried to blow his/her comments off, though (and calling them a troll for having contrary views to your own..?)
This is merely a matter of experience and has nothing to do with differing opinions. Just look at the evidence.

1. A clearly bashing post - Calls to recast Anakin, on what basis, 15 seconds of dialogue. Every person coming off of that set from production to actors alike has said how good Hayden is and this guy wants a recast on the basis of 15 seconds...
  2. One post only - Never a good sign. If this person wanted to discuss Star Wars then they would do so, not make one post that appears designed to start a bun fight and then leave. Maybe they will come back, but I very much doubt it.
  3. An empty profile - Get in quick then leave.
  4. OTT quotes - Do they reallly sound like the quotes of a regular audience? Well not to me.

As far as the reception to Episode-I against Episode-II, he appears to be comparing the opening night of TPM where a theater full of costumed fans went nots to a trailer viewed by the general public, who probably weren't even expecting to see it.

Old Post Jan 18th, 2002 11:21 AM
sand person no. 10
where are the other nine

i remember when the austin powers 2 trailer came out at the same time as the ep1 trailer, it used similar music and some bloke saying "thirty years ago a dynasty was started and now its back" sumut like that. I used to get really excited thinking it was ep1 trailer, this continued to happen for about 2 months. what a fool. confused

Old Post Jan 18th, 2002 01:51 PM
Click here to Send sand person no. 10 a Private Message Find more posts by sand person no. 10 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

Darth Yogi, my standards are not high at all, I gave my opinion on something that I think that is rediculous!
I agree witih EVERYTHING ratcat said! A TEASER is to TEASE the public!

The only thing I don't like about AOTC for NOW, is the cgi Yoda, his sabre color and some story parts, but I'm not making a thread about it, demanding they'll fire the guy who made the cgi Yoda!
I have a lot of respect for their work

Old Post Jan 18th, 2002 04:25 PM
Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jedi212guy
Sith Warrior

The new Austn Powers trailer really sucks IMHO.

Old Post Jan 18th, 2002 04:25 PM
Click here to Send jedi212guy a Private Message Find more posts by jedi212guy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darthyogi
Bothan Spy

The point was made that the trailers we've seen so far have not been very impressive. I agree with that opinion, but regardless I don't think you can dismiss the malaise and disappointment by dismissing the trailers themselves as ‘teasers’.

Yes, the short snippets of AOTC we've seen have been tantalising, yes they've been intriguing - but the overall effect is not as 'wow-ing' or exciting as some people were hoping for and the general impression is that AOTC is going to be disappointing...

The idea of a trailer, or teaser if you insist, is to get people bubbling, tease them with the fact that they still have a couple months to wait before they can see the film they’re waiting to see. A lot of people saw the trailers for AOTC and thought “whatever”.

To put a positive spin on this discussion, though, I can’t honestly say for certain what I would liked to have seen in the trailers and what would have made me exciting – as excited as I WANT to be, which is excited as I was in 1982 when I first saw ESB trailer. Can anyone who feels the trailers disappointed say what they were missing?

Old Post Jan 18th, 2002 05:05 PM
Click here to Send darthyogi a Private Message Find more posts by darthyogi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mah
J-type 327 Nubian

I was not dissapointed but I'll say what I think anyways.

The trailers has been pretty slow-moving, a low pace to the whole thing. Some might say that this makes it less exciting, that it doesn't create a 'wow!'. IMO though, this was perfect. This makes for an interesting story, with anakin and padmes realationship building and anakins temper growing. meanwhile it also has lightsabre-fights and everything, but focuses more on the 'forbidden love'. the trailers are quite dark, which I like and the pictures realeased and the whole thing seems to have a good star-wars 'feeling' to it.

I'm as excited as I want to be, can't wait for May to show up.

Old Post Jan 18th, 2002 05:23 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Did you not like my reply either, DY?

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Jan 18th, 2002 06:46 PM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ratcat

quote:
Originally posted by darthyogi
The idea of a trailer, or teaser if you insist, is to get people bubbling, tease them with the fact that they still have a couple months to wait before they can see the film they’re waiting to see. A lot of people saw the trailers for AOTC and thought “whatever”.
Maybe... Personally I was far more impressed with the AOTC trailers than I was with either of the trailers for TPM.

If you go back and look at them now they are rather bland, people were giving them a lot more credit in 98/99 because they were the first new Star Wars in 15 years. Still, it is hard to farely assess them anyway as we have already seen the film.

I stand by my assessment of the original purpose of the poster though.

Incident;y, if I had wanted to simply stifle his opinion I would have locked, or worse deleted the thread. smile

Old Post Jan 18th, 2002 09:11 PM
Ratcat

quote:
Originally posted by mah
I was not dissapointed but I'll say what I think anyways.

The trailers has been pretty slow-moving, a low pace to the whole thing. Some might say that this makes it less exciting, that it doesn't create a 'wow!'.
This I don't understand. How can you say they were low pace?

• Jango/Obi-Wan Fight
  • Obi through the window
  • Coruscant Chase
  • Asteroid Chase
  • Sea Whales leaping from the ocean
These were high speed, excitng things. Sure there were some slow bits, but the main teaser (Forbidden Love) had 20% more clips in it than the TM teaser did. I would say the highs and lows match were well spaced, IMHO...

Old Post Jan 18th, 2002 09:15 PM
mah
J-type 327 Nubian

true, but the focus has been on this being a dull romantic drama, and not that action-ish.

Old Post Jan 18th, 2002 09:44 PM
Ratcat

I suppose so, but the more we learn, the more I think that the 'Romantic tone' will be an undertone, not a major overtone.

Old Post Jan 18th, 2002 10:16 PM
sivelio

Alright, first of all I didn't make inflammatory statements and "disappear"--I just don't go online that much. The theater reaction I reported accords with other people's and if this is indeed some kind of low-ball strategy of Lucas' not to raise expectations then, well, enough said: he knows he's got a film that will disappoint fans and, short of having just a black screen
with Vader breathing, there's no way to hide it. Of course, the visuals, effects, etc. were beautiful as usual--I never disputed that. (The single cheer from the audience I was with in NYC came when Boba Fett was shown). When I deride this movie, I'm speaking as a fan who wants it to be as great as eps4-6 and not
as some "troll" just trying to start an argument. It seems, though, that Lucas the creator has been replaced by Lucas the businessman (you can't tell me that a character like Jar Jar isn't
totally market-driven --toys, happy meals, etc.). We shouldn't
censor criticism with namecalling since it's still possible to save
ep3 (and even ep2--still in post-production). Obviously, I'm counting the days until it comes out like everyone, but I think that has less to do with the quality of the movie then with the fact that "Star Wars" has become a kind of contemporary mythology
which even the greatest sequel couldn't possibly live up to (imagine the reaction to a sequel to "Hamlet").

Old Post Jan 18th, 2002 11:22 PM
Click here to Send sivelio a Private Message Find more posts by sivelio Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote