KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » We didn't need Qui-Gonn.

We didn't need Qui-Gonn.
Started by: KJ

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
KJ
Sausages

We didn't need Qui-Gonn.

As much as I liked Qui-Gonn I don't think he was needed. It would have been better if Obi-Wan was the master in TPM and he had an apprentice, maybe female. After he found Anakin he said that his apprentice didn't need him anymore. But of course the apprentice wouldn't have much time to feel dissapointed as Darth Maul would kill her.

One of the main problems I had with TPM was that Obi-Wan wasn't given enough screen time. I felt Lucas got side tracked with characters who weren't important and I hope he doesn't make the same mistake in Ep2.

Old Post Oct 12th, 2000 01:39 AM
Click here to Send KJ a Private Message Find more posts by KJ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Daft

King Jedi, I TOTALLY AGREE with you. In fact, by sheer coincidence, I was soon going to post the same subject.
I don't know if you know this, but in the first graph of TPM, Obi-Wan was on his own, without Qui-Gon. I don't know why Lucas added Jinn in afterwards, but I agree that Obi-Wan didn't have enough screen time and the film would have been better if he took the place of Qui-Gon as the main character on screen.

Old Post Oct 12th, 2000 02:39 AM
Click here to Send Darth Daft a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Daft Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jedicapra

Quigon

I totally disagree! While I agree that Obi-wan should have got more screen time, I think Quigon was an excellent charactor for the movie. He brought a different image of a jedi master to the movie: honorable, wise, but somewhat of a rogue. This was more interesting than the complacent, old jedi masters that we were used to seeing. I am also glad that we got to see Obi-wan as an apprentice. It makes the next two movies more interesting because we can observe how his attitude and fighting style change as he progresses in the force.

Old Post Oct 12th, 2000 05:45 AM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jedimaster3838

Qui-Gon

I also think QC was not needed in TPM. He was a cool character, but served no purpose. The OT made it seem like Yopa was OB1 master and that it was completly OB1 fault that Anakin became Vader, but QC was the one who found him. I think Lucas wanted Liam Nieson, so he made up the role of Qui-Gon. He just seems to confuse things in the OT that I thought as facts.

Old Post Oct 12th, 2000 05:52 AM
Darth Daft

Re: Qui-Gon

I agree. Qui-Gon wasn't mentioned at all in the OT and although, JediCapra, Qui-Gon was a good character and brought a different side of the Jedi, I still think Obi-Wan could have pulled this off by himself.
If he were about fifty years old or so and he was a Jedi Master he called be a lot like Qui-Gon was, but still have a connection with the OT. And even though that would make him be about 80 in the original trilogy, despite Alec Guiness only being around 60, it could actually show that in the Star Wars universe, because of great medical discoveries and health of people, they look a lot younger. After all, Qui-Gon was meant to be 60, yet Liam Neeson was only about 45 or so when filming TPM.

Old Post Oct 12th, 2000 11:32 AM
Click here to Send Darth Daft a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Daft Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KJ
Sausages

If there was no Qui-Gon I'd still want Obi-Wan to be the same age that he was in TPM. I always thought that Obi-Wan would be an over confident character and that's why he beleived he could train Anakin. With Qui-Gon there it meant Obi-Wan had to take a back seat and just did whatever Qui-Gon told him. It's not how I expected Obi-Wan to be.

Old Post Oct 13th, 2000 12:56 AM
Click here to Send KJ a Private Message Find more posts by KJ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Daft

I see what you mean. I think a lot of the characters are going to change in the next two films especially Anakin, Padmé and Obi-Wan.

Old Post Oct 13th, 2000 01:20 AM
Darth Heinous

Master Qui-Gon Jinn

Master Qui-Gon Jinn is the best! Although, he wasn't perfect and got killed off, he is my favorite Star Wars character (in the movies). I heard that Episode 2 is more about Ben Kenobi than the other characters. Cheers!

Old Post Oct 13th, 2000 05:25 AM
Gundark
Mayhem

Qui-Gon

When Luke is laying in the snow, wounded, on Hoth and Obi Wan appears to tell him to go to dagobah, he says "There you will learn from Yoda, the Jedi master who instructed me." Never mentions Qui-Gon, so I don't understand why George worked him in ep1. Seems pretty disrespectful on Obi-Wans part to sandbag his master like that. I'm sure there were things that Obi Wan learned directly from Yoda, but it seems logical that the bulk of his "heavy duty" training came from Qui-Gon. While he was an interesting character and was believeable as a Jedi, I think GL owes us some more explanation.

Old Post Oct 13th, 2000 08:08 PM
Click here to Send Gundark a Private Message Find more posts by Gundark Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Daft

I agree with you Gundark. I don't think it's a very good excuse just that Ben says Yoda was his instructor, because he instructed him as a youngster before meeting Qui-Gon. I think it was silly introducing such an unnessecary character.

Old Post Oct 14th, 2000 12:16 AM
Darth Daft

I agree with you Gundark. I don't think it's a very good excuse just that Ben says Yoda was his instructor, because he instructed him as a youngster before meeting Qui-Gon. I think it was silly introducing such an unnessecary character when he wasn't even mentioned in the OT.

Old Post Oct 14th, 2000 12:16 AM
theEvilJedi

KJ you are a council member as you always tell me.This belongs in Epi.IV-VI/Epi. I.

Obi-Wan Kenobi: (Looks up at his chains) "Good job!"

Old Post Oct 14th, 2000 09:15 AM
Click here to Send theEvilJedi a Private Message Find more posts by theEvilJedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KJ
Sausages

Does it really? We are talking about how Qui-Gon wasn't needed as the prequels should feature Obi-Wan as the main Jedi. I think I also said that Lucas was getting side tracked with other characters and shouldn't do this in Ep2.
Are you just a little annoyed that Raz moved your topic to GDF where it should have been in the first place?

Old Post Oct 14th, 2000 08:42 PM
Darth Daft

Well seeing as Qui-Gon may return in Episode 2 or 3 (although its unlikely) this could count as being for both forums, so you might as well leave it here instead of wasting time putting it in the OT forum.

Old Post Oct 14th, 2000 09:14 PM
theEvilJedi

What topic of mine?Anyway Qui-Gon not needed mainly is based on Episode I.

Old Post Oct 14th, 2000 09:22 PM
Click here to Send theEvilJedi a Private Message Find more posts by theEvilJedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KJ
Sausages

No it isn't. If you don't like it then don't reply.

Old Post Oct 14th, 2000 09:43 PM
theEvilJedi

Fine I'll stop talking.

Old Post Oct 14th, 2000 09:44 PM
Darth Daft

Well you two stop arguing once in a while and quit discussing what the topic belongs in. It still has some connection with Episode 2 and 3 so forget about moving it.

Back to the topic, I just realised a crutial reason why Qui-Gon does in fact have to be included in TPM. It's to do with this whole understanding of why he didn't disappear when he died and why Ben said, "If you strike me down I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine."
The two are connected and we'll find out how in the next two films according to GL. If Qui-Gon hadn't been included then it may have been difficult for us to have learnt certain things about the Force, which we'll discover in the next two films. Still a lot to learn yet.

Old Post Oct 15th, 2000 12:53 AM
theEvilJedi

Hey I am stopping.

Old Post Oct 15th, 2000 12:55 AM
Darth Daft

Well stop then! Just kidding. big grin

Old Post Oct 15th, 2000 12:56 AM