KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » Saber twirls

Saber twirls
Started by: Darth Ghyslain

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Darth Ghyslain

Saber twirls

Hi,I'm looking for saber twirl techniques. I thnik saber twirling looks really cool, so I'd like to learn to do it, too. However, I haven't managed to find anything on the subject in the Web, and the movements in the movies are too fast, and even with the slowdown I can't catch them. So any help - preferably provided with charts - would be greatly appreciated.

Attachment: maul.jpg
This has been downloaded 134 time(s).

Old Post Feb 6th, 2004 02:11 PM
Click here to Send Darth Ghyslain a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Ghyslain Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

erm... DG... twirling your sabre isn't difficult you know :s
just get a stick or whatever you want to use as sabre and make a quick circular motion with your wrist
just need a good flexible wrist and it should be ok smile
you have some other techniques but that one is actualy the simple one

Old Post Feb 6th, 2004 02:55 PM
Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Ghyslain

Well, I've got a broomstick all right smile , I just don't know how exactly those moves are done. I'd like to repeat ones of D.Maul as he enters the energy room (see photo) and Obi-Wan as he kills the giant mantis in Episode II.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2004 04:32 PM
Click here to Send Darth Ghyslain a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Ghyslain Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

oh yeah, those smile

well, honestly, have to check them again, but just practice a lot and get the wrist flexible and with doing it fast enough you get the twirl done

Old Post Feb 6th, 2004 04:36 PM
Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kraken
Wraith

how about trying yoda's twirl when he was fighting dooku or anakin when he was useing two light sabers those were good twirls.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2004 11:45 PM
Click here to Send Kraken a Private Message Find more posts by Kraken Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Ghyslain

No, I meant saber twirls, not body twirls.
Actually, I can do the one-handed backwards twirl now – quite easy, as it turns out. But I still can’t figure out Maul’s two-handed twirl. He starts it holding his staff back with his left hand, then begins to move it forward and upwards, simultaneously rotating it with the the left hand, and then the right hand joins. He does it twice: when entering the reactor room and when fighting Obi-Wan. I can’t catch his handwork, because it’s out of sight in both cases. I thought someone here would know the technique. There’s been quite an interesting thread about fencing here some time ago.

Old Post Feb 9th, 2004 08:33 PM
Darth Revan
-

y'know, I was trying to figure out how to do the thing from KotOR when you turn on your double-bladed lightsaber and spin it around once on your right side, switch over to your left side, and do it again there

having nothing but a hyphen under my name makes me look so xhardxcorex. like a felon.

Old Post Feb 14th, 2004 06:55 AM
Click here to Send Darth Revan a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Revan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Jello
Cheese Spelunker

well, Ray Park is a second degree blackbelt in Wu Shu...

Wonder when will it'll all be over...
Living in a void when the void grows colder...
Wonder when it'll all be over?
Will you be laughing when it's over?

Old Post Feb 14th, 2004 09:02 AM
Click here to Send Darth Jello a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Jello Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Revan
-

I'm not surprised...

having nothing but a hyphen under my name makes me look so xhardxcorex. like a felon.

Old Post Feb 14th, 2004 08:20 PM
Click here to Send Darth Revan a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Revan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kraken
Wraith

well Darth Revan im able to do that saber twirl on kotor like you said it was hard but i all most got.

there is also saber twirls on Jedi academy with two saber or a staff you could also try those.

Old Post Feb 17th, 2004 10:36 PM
Click here to Send Kraken a Private Message Find more posts by Kraken Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
godfather
Godfather

Try looking up “Kendo” moves if you serious about learning techniques used in the movies by ray park, I doubt you’ll find much you’ll probably need to buy a book or training video, but there the techniques used in the movies, it isn’t like there is a real lightsabre art or anything, but you never no if you get good you could always make one :-)

"I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse."

Old Post Feb 18th, 2004 12:23 AM
Click here to Send godfather a Private Message Find more posts by godfather Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kraken
Wraith

if you really want to act like a real jedi just get a replica of a lightsaber on www.masterreplicas.com thats where i got mine I got Darth Vaders red lightsaber it was 129$ good price! its called force fx

Old Post Feb 18th, 2004 08:10 PM
Sith Master X
Darth Sadistic

Did anyone like the twirl Dooku did with his saber behind his back when he was fighting with Yoda? Watch, the camera shows an above view of Dooku and Yoda, and Dooku twirls his saber holding it behind his back, and as he does this, he twirls his body (slowly) as well. Pretty sweet!

SMX
cool

I like George.

Old Post May 8th, 2004 08:27 PM
Click here to Send Sith Master X a Private Message Find more posts by Sith Master X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rogue Jedi
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote:
Originally posted by Darth Ghyslain
No, I meant saber twirls, not body twirls.
Actually, I can do the one-handed backwards twirl now – quite easy, as it turns out. But I still can’t figure out Maul’s two-handed twirl. He starts it holding his staff back with his left hand, then begins to move it forward and upwards, simultaneously rotating it with the the left hand, and then the right hand joins. He does it twice: when entering the reactor room and when fighting Obi-Wan. I can’t catch his handwork, because it’s out of sight in both cases. I thought someone here would know the technique. There’s been quite an interesting thread about fencing here some time ago.

ray park is a seasoned martial artist. he obviously trained for years doing this.

All the ways you wish you could be, that's me. I look like you wanna look, I **** like you wanna ****, I am smart, capable, and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Old Post May 9th, 2004 11:17 PM
Click here to Send Rogue Jedi a Private Message Find more posts by Rogue Jedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
wuTa

yea olays toad in x-men and in the scene were he fights storm she falls in the elevator he does this awesome twirl wiht a pipe in the air....good stuff

Old Post May 9th, 2004 11:44 PM
Click here to Send wuTa a Private Message Find more posts by wuTa Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote