KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » Obiwan and Anakin's relationship

Obiwan and Anakin's relationship
Started by: bigsef3

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
bigsef3

Obiwan and Anakin's relationship

I was just thinking about character relationships in the prequel trilogy and I realized that there is almost not chemistry or bond between Anakin and Obiwan in E1 or E2. In E2 it seems obiwan had better chemistry with a computer generated coffeeshop owner than he did with his own padiwan. And from what we hear, there is a very poignant scene where obiwan has to kill a clonetrooper who he had a certain bond with.

I really really hope we see some sort of bond between anakin and obiwan in EIII. I hope we see obiwans PAIN as he realizes he must confront and kill his former padawan who was like a son to him. I hope we see anakins pain at killing someone who was like a father to him.

But I wouldnt bet on it. And it will really dissapoint me if the obiwan/clonetrooper scene is more "tragic" than the obiwan/anakin confrontation.

What does everyone think? What can we hope for?

Old Post Feb 13th, 2004 06:39 PM
Click here to Send bigsef3 a Private Message Find more posts by bigsef3 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
HyperDream
Oh the hugemanitee!

if anything, there will be less of a bond. anakin has vered away from the jedi council and has become irratible and not fun to be around. im sure that obi wan will have trouble being ordered by the council to destroy his padawan, for one he has failed at teaching him how to follow the right path and secondly because of their once close bond. so i think by the middle of the movie there will be not much of a bond at all. after watching the short clip that leaked onto the internet, i noticed how vigourasly they fought eachother with shere determination to destroy one another, and that means that they will be torn apart from eachother. besides, remember the dialogue between them in Ep4 during the sabre fight? it was very stark and stuff. i think that conversation between them defines the mood of eachother during the ladder part of Ep 3.

Old Post Feb 13th, 2004 08:03 PM
Click here to Send HyperDream a Private Message Find more posts by HyperDream Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
amity75

Yeah so far we havnt really seen a nice word said to each other between them. Before the prequals I thought they were best buddies but theres been no evidence of that. The prequel duel would seem all the more tragic if we knew how close they were but we get the impression we'd be glad to see them bump each other off.

Post in the Indiana Jones forum.

Old Post Feb 13th, 2004 11:01 PM
Click here to Send amity75 a Private Message Find more posts by amity75 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bigsef3

I would love to see obiwan almost crying at what he had to do. something similar to the dispair luke feld in ROTJ when he told luke, "I cant kill my own father..." What was obi-wan's reply, "then the emperor has already won." the way obi-wan said that was as if he knew what luke was going through, to an extent.... but he wasn't sympathetic. more like he was remembering what he had had to do himself before. except he didnt have to kill his "father." he had to try and kill his "son." to keep the emperor from suceeding.

you know, this is something of a tangent, but i am very dissapointed with the prequel trilogy as a whole, but i must say, it DOES make me appreciate the originals that much moreso. having the backstory and knowing the history of these characters, especially anakin, obiwan, and yoda, brings so much meaning to the contrasts we see in their situation in the original trilogy.

Old Post Feb 13th, 2004 11:27 PM
Click here to Send bigsef3 a Private Message Find more posts by bigsef3 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

actually, I thought the bond was good in EpII,
with the "joke" about the nest of gundarks and such
OB1 praised Anakin and such and they showed they knew eachother well, just that OB1 always played Anakin down with the "my VERY young apprentice" stuff

Old Post Feb 14th, 2004 12:20 AM
Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Jello
Cheese Spelunker

i think this kind of lack of a bond is mostly obi-wan's fault and is why anakin kind of resents him. He's not as good of a father as qui-gon was

Wonder when will it'll all be over...
Living in a void when the void grows colder...
Wonder when it'll all be over?
Will you be laughing when it's over?

Old Post Feb 14th, 2004 03:42 AM
Click here to Send Darth Jello a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Jello Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
hana_skywalker
Felix Felicis

In my opinion, if there wasn't a strong bond between them, Obi-wan was 90% guilty of that. He tried to make Anakin less arrogant and just managed to do the opposite thing by telling him off for almost everything he did. I remember that there was a cut scene where he told Anakin: "You haven't learned anything, Anakin". I think that's too much, don't you think so? I'm not saying that he didn't like his apprentice, but he surely wasn't prepared to be the master of the Chosen One. As Darth Jello said, Qui-gon would have played his cards differently...

"Happiness... is not a fish that you can catch." - oUr LaDy PeAcE
"The fear of loss is a path to the Dark Side" - Master Yoda

Old Post Feb 14th, 2004 05:00 AM
Click here to Send hana_skywalker a Private Message Find more posts by hana_skywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Jello
Cheese Spelunker

he has an "i hate little kids" personality, I know cause I have one too. plus anakin was kind of forced upon him and he didn't exactly like him in episode 1

Old Post Feb 14th, 2004 05:22 AM
Click here to Send Darth Jello a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Jello Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SHADOW BASHER
unknown

There was more of a bond between anakin and qui-gon in the 10mins they were together then the 10 years obi and ani had.

Old Post Feb 14th, 2004 02:56 PM
Click here to Send SHADOW BASHER a Private Message Find more posts by SHADOW BASHER Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Jello
Cheese Spelunker

look at episode 4-6, obi-wan tries to make up for anakin through look. then in episode 6, luke gets more than a little pissed cause he realizes it. For such a cool character, Obi-wan's kind of an ass when it comes to personal relationships.

Old Post Feb 15th, 2004 06:25 AM
yerssot

british, need I say more wink

Old Post Feb 15th, 2004 11:56 AM
Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
rustiswordz
Rusty i aint......

and your point ?

Last edited by rustiswordz on Feb 15th, 2004 at 07:56 PM

Old Post Feb 15th, 2004 07:53 PM
Click here to Send rustiswordz a Private Message Find more posts by rustiswordz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

nothing, just explaining stuff stick out tongue

Old Post Feb 15th, 2004 08:23 PM
rustiswordz
Rusty i aint......

Come over to the Uk and ill give you a hug. :P

Old Post Feb 15th, 2004 08:30 PM
Click here to Send rustiswordz a Private Message Find more posts by rustiswordz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

isn't that ... cheesy stick out tongue

Old Post Feb 15th, 2004 08:34 PM
rustiswordz
Rusty i aint......

Depends on the type of cheese you like.......

I think wed better stop this here this is a family forum LOL

Old Post Feb 15th, 2004 09:59 PM