KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » How come Moff Tarkin is higher on the food chain than Darth Vader?

How come Moff Tarkin is higher on the food chain than Darth Vader?
Started by: Mortanius

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (8): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Mortanius
Just begin again

How come Moff Tarkin is higher on the food chain than Darth Vader?

I always wondered why that was. Other than the emperor, Tarkin was the only other person that Vader repected in the OT.

Old Post Sep 27th, 2004 02:26 AM
Click here to Send Mortanius a Private Message Find more posts by Mortanius Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
PVS
Restricted

Account Restricted

vader seems to be more of an attack dog than a leader.
"i should have expected to find you holding vader's leash"

who knows...you would THINK that vader would be second only to the emporer. how ironic that he turns to the darkside partly because the jedi "held him back", but he has a non-force user with authority over him.

just further illustrates how he got screwed on that deal.

Old Post Sep 27th, 2004 02:29 AM
Click here to Send PVS a Private Message Find more posts by PVS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Morgoths_Wrath

That is a good question. I don't really think its because Tarkin was a higher rank then Vader, but I think the Emperor probably favored Tarkin over any of his other governors and Vader had a certain respect for him as well. Tarkin was governor of the Outer Rim territories, I believe. I think that he did have some authority over Vader...to a certain extent, but I don't think he truly was a higher rank then the Emperor's own apprentice. I also think that Tarkin was older then Vader and that he knew what he was doing in his particular field, and Vader understood his knowledge.

Last edited by Morgoths_Wrath on Sep 27th, 2004 at 02:59 AM

Old Post Sep 27th, 2004 02:57 AM
Click here to Send Morgoths_Wrath a Private Message Find more posts by Morgoths_Wrath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Member.

maybe we'll know in ep3.

Old Post Sep 27th, 2004 02:58 AM
Click here to Send Member. a Private Message Find more posts by Member. Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mephistodesigns
Hate has made me powerful

I agree with morgoths, plus Tarkin supposedly had something to do with the Death Star's origins, but if its not covered in ROTS, that will remain simple notes from Lucas which I suppose is considered EU. But I think its just that Tarkin was the commander on the Death Star and Vader was just respecting Tarkin's space and command.

Old Post Sep 27th, 2004 03:29 AM
Click here to Send mephistodesigns a Private Message Find more posts by mephistodesigns Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darktim1

Was'nt anakin at the time of episode3 and after the commander in the space forces that's how he got his super star destroyer I don't remember tarkin ever going to his ship before he died he was always on the death star. for now may force be with you.

Old Post Sep 27th, 2004 04:46 AM
Click here to Send darktim1 a Private Message Find more posts by darktim1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
treadline

I don't think Tarkin had any authority over Vader, I think he was just deffering to him out of respect while on the Death Star. He was a Sith, and I doubt he would have allowed himself to be in a secondary position. ROTS should show how Tarkin got to be in such a powerful position. I believe he did indeed have something to do with the creation of the Death Star.

Old Post Sep 27th, 2004 05:49 AM
Click here to Send treadline a Private Message Find more posts by treadline Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NateDawgNT

GL talks about it on the OT DVD commentary - he says there's no real heirarchy - so there's not really a command over Vader, but he has to respect Tarkin - or something to that extent... the other reason that Tarkin probably doesnt realize how powerful Vader really is. They dont really remember the jedi all that much - so him wiping them all out isnt a big feat. Most people think its a hokey foolish religion - also - Vader isnt in the military at all, he is a sith - i still dont understand why he was on the death star

Old Post Sep 27th, 2004 06:45 AM
Click here to Send NateDawgNT a Private Message Find more posts by NateDawgNT Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Absolutely. Vader is having to show respect for Tarkin; being the Emperor's troubleshooter did not place him above the most powerful of the military establishment..

But I am pretty sure Tarkin knows how powerful Vader is.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Sep 27th, 2004 11:57 AM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Master Kadub

True......

I think Tarkin is a military commander over all the governors;
but Vader is more of a supervisor not directly involved in the
military events but more of the Emperors wishes......
Like Jedi were given missions to watch over individuals in gov't
but that did not mean that the official didnt respect the Jedi's
authority or power...

[ex: Padme when being watched by QuiGon/ObiWan and Anakin..]

then again, maybe GL wasnt sure which direction to take Vaders
role in the military when he created the character....

Old Post Sep 27th, 2004 05:13 PM
Click here to Send Master Kadub a Private Message Find more posts by Master Kadub Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SomeGuy57
Just Milk It

pardon me for not knowing but you can you tell me what "ot" stands for?

Old Post Sep 27th, 2004 09:23 PM
Click here to Send SomeGuy57 a Private Message Find more posts by SomeGuy57 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Original Trilogy

GL not being certain about Vader's roie at the time is entirely possible.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Sep 27th, 2004 09:33 PM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mortanius
Just begin again

Perhaps ROTS will explain the reason why Tarkin holds such a high position with the emperor.

Old Post Sep 27th, 2004 10:30 PM
Click here to Send Mortanius a Private Message Find more posts by Mortanius Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sith Master X
Darth Sadistic

Yeah, this will most likely be explained in Episode 3, of course alot of things are to be explained, but they've said it should answer most questions.

I like George.

Old Post Sep 27th, 2004 10:33 PM
Click here to Send Sith Master X a Private Message Find more posts by Sith Master X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Xam
Lord Xam

its like maul in ep1!!!!!at the orders of the viceroy!!!!

"He was a pupil of mine,before he turned to evil..."

Old Post Sep 27th, 2004 10:39 PM
Click here to Send Xam a Private Message Find more posts by Xam Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sith Master X
Darth Sadistic

Good point.

I like George.

Old Post Sep 27th, 2004 10:44 PM
Click here to Send Sith Master X a Private Message Find more posts by Sith Master X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cipher
Non-Entity

Tarkin is the most evil non-alien, non-deformed character in the OT.
Its possible that the Emperor decided to put Vader in direct command of the navy in EP. 5.......

Old Post Sep 28th, 2004 01:40 AM
Click here to Send Cipher a Private Message Find more posts by Cipher Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gangularis

Anakin: "We need a system where the politicians sit down and discuss the problem. Agree what's in the best interests of all the people, and do it."
Padme: "That's exactly what they do, the trouble is that people don't always agree."
Anakin: "Then they should be made to."
Padme: "By whom? Who's going to make them?"
Anakin: "I don't know. Someone."
Padme: "You?"
Anakin: "Of course not me!"
Padme: "Then someone...?"
Anakin: "Someone wise."
Padme: "That sounds an awful lot like a dictatorship to me."
Anakin: "Well... if it works..."

anakin doesn't want to be a political leader.. he's just a very high up henchmen/general type guy.. sort of like general grievious in a way.

Old Post Sep 28th, 2004 05:53 AM
Click here to Send Gangularis a Private Message Find more posts by Gangularis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NateDawgNT

i think the only reason that Vader is in control in 5 is because A) tarkin and alot of highrankers died on the DStar, and B) HE wants to find Luke - so he probably told the emperor that he should be in charge - and just made up some reason.

Old Post Sep 28th, 2004 05:20 PM
Click here to Send NateDawgNT a Private Message Find more posts by NateDawgNT Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jedijunky1138
Dark Lord of The Sleepy

Vader In Anh Was still just a henchman for Palp. Tarkin was a governor. Tarkin has more pull in the Imperial Senate. Vader is just a weapon of terror.

I recognized your foul stench when I was brought onboard.

Old Post Sep 28th, 2004 05:27 PM
Click here to Send jedijunky1138 a Private Message Find more posts by jedijunky1138 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote