KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » Star Wars Episode 1.1 - The Phantom Edit

Star Wars Episode 1.1 - The Phantom Edit
Started by: JKozzy

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
JKozzy
Agent Kozzy

Arrow Star Wars Episode 1.1 - The Phantom Edit

Has anyone ever seen this? Apparently some guy edited out a bunch of stuff, including Jar Jar's voice and gave him intelligent alien dialogue and an alien voice, and got rid of Anakin's "Woohoo!"s. I'd be curious if it were available anywhere, too.

Old Post Feb 13th, 2005 03:17 AM
Click here to Send JKozzy a Private Message Find more posts by JKozzy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

I've seen the Phantom Edit but he didn't do anything with anyone's dialogue- he just re-cuts the film.

Which does some things better but, frankly, some things- especially making the start even MORE rushed- worse.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Feb 13th, 2005 11:01 AM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NoMeN

where can i find it?

It comes through compassion, not greed. Love is the answer to the darkness.

Old Post Feb 13th, 2005 02:29 PM
Click here to Send NoMeN a Private Message Find more posts by NoMeN Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JKozzy
Agent Kozzy

quote:
Originally posted by Ushgarak
I've seen the Phantom Edit but he didn't do anything with anyone's dialogue- he just re-cuts the film.

Which does some things better but, frankly, some things- especially making the start even MORE rushed- worse.
Yeah, I heard about the feeling of it being more rushed. No wonder, it says that twenty or so minutes were cut?

Twenty minutes have been cut from the original 133, and as a result the film is tighter and faster. Jar-Jar, who has been demoted to an almost silent supporting role, is actually enjoyable. (A different "Phantom Edit" has dubbed over Jar-Jar with an alien voice, giving him subtitled dialogue that turns the gibbering idiot into a wise sage, spouting pearls like "Children and fools ask more questions" and "Pride can blind you from the truth.") Likewise, young Anakin -- whose shouts of "Yahoo!" and "Whoopee!" made many "Star Wars" fans grimace -- is a thoughtful, much quieter protagonist.

That's where I got the Jar-Jar voice information, this article was telling about it.

http://dir.salon.com/ent/movies/fea...edit/index.html

Old Post Feb 13th, 2005 04:24 PM
Click here to Send JKozzy a Private Message Find more posts by JKozzy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Presumably that was a fan-made change; the maker of the edit himself was quite clear about how he was approaching this as a director and nothing else.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Feb 13th, 2005 04:54 PM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JKozzy
Agent Kozzy

Most likely. It went on to state how there were different versions, like 1.11, 1.2, 1.4, etc. It also said to expect an episode 2.1 for Attack of the Clones... to my knowledge that never happened, though.

Old Post Feb 13th, 2005 05:11 PM
The Rover

I haven't seen this, but I have heard of it.
I have seen an "altered" version of the OT DVD, though. wink

Old Post Feb 13th, 2005 06:05 PM
Click here to Send The Rover a Private Message Find more posts by The Rover Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sith Master X
Darth Sadistic

Interesting, I've never seen it or even heard about it.

I like George.

Old Post Feb 13th, 2005 11:36 PM
Click here to Send Sith Master X a Private Message Find more posts by Sith Master X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
fli_wheel

Information....

I originally posted this as an answer to a guy who wanted to know how to edit the movie for himself. After reading these posts though, I thought I should post the information here as well, in the case that anyone else may want to re-edit of the movie for themselves.

If you want to know how to edit this movie, I'll tell you.

First you need a computer with a dvd drive, second you need to own the movie in question. If you own Episode I then you can legally make a copy, thus I advise you to search for a freeware program called DVD shrink. DVD shrink decreases the movie size, thus allowing it to fit on a standard 4.7 DVD-R,+R disk. DVD shrink will also remove all security protection on the copy, and it will create an iso file; thus allowing you to burn the copy easier.
Now with a DVD burner burn the copy onto a DVD disk.

Now if you have a video card w/TV input, you should connect up your DVD player and re-record the copy into an MPEG2 format onto your hard drive.

Once in an MPEG2 format you can edit with Windows XP's Windows Moviemaker 2.

Publish your file to your hard drive and convert from the default format of WMV back to MPEG2 with a free version of STOIK file converter.

Burn this new MPEG2 movie onto a disk with NERO and you're all set.

All together this will take you about 8 or 9 hours.

Another option is to just use a freeware version of DVDx when saving a copy of the movie onto your hard drive. But the DVDx freeware is confusing and it will take about 24hours to save the movie to your hard drive.

Then you will spend another 6 hours converting it into a movie maker readable file, thus I suggest you use DVD shrink.

Hope this helps.

Old Post Feb 14th, 2005 03:20 AM
Click here to Send fli_wheel a Private Message Find more posts by fli_wheel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mace Skywalker

crap, id never watch that.

Old Post Feb 14th, 2005 05:45 PM
Click here to Send Mace Skywalker a Private Message Find more posts by Mace Skywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sith Master X
Darth Sadistic

I guess the same would go for me.

I like George.

Old Post Feb 16th, 2005 02:55 AM
Click here to Send Sith Master X a Private Message Find more posts by Sith Master X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote