KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » The Emperor Speaks - Interview with Ian McDiarmid

The Emperor Speaks - Interview with Ian McDiarmid
Started by: bobafett81

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
bobafett81

Warning The Emperor Speaks - Interview with Ian McDiarmid

Episode III Emperor Speaks

Ian McDiarmid, who plays Emperor Palpatine in the upcoming Star Wars: Episode III—Revenge of the Sith, offered SCI FI Wire spoilerish details about his mysterious and malevolent character, who rivals Darth Vader as the most evil character in the saga. "I think the Emperor is the incarnation of evil, and he's only really interested in power and manipulation," McDiarmid said in an interview. "Nothing else gives him any pleasure. He's a Sith from way back, and they don't have a moral universe. They want to create power for themselves by destroying others. It's very interesting to play a character that is irredeemable. There are even real people that have that kind of motiveless malignancy. It's like watching [former Yugoslavian president Slobodan] Milosevic, somebody that only seems interested in power and manipulation."

Scottish-born McDiarmid first appeared in the Star Wars films as the Emperor in Episode VI—Return of the Jedi in 1983, and he said that creator George Lucas brought him back for the series of prequel films. "When I heard George was going to do prequels, I kind of hoped he would give me a ring, and he did," McDiarmid said. "I knew he was in town, and I went in and had a 10-minute meeting. I hadn't seen him in 20 years, and he looked exactly the same to me. I had a glass of water. He asked, 'Do you know anyone that would like to play an Emperor?' I said, 'It's funny you should say that.' … He said, 'OK, you can give the water back,' and that was that," McDiarmid said with a chuckle. "He told me a little about the progress of Palpatine through the prequels and what the journey would be like. He said he would start quiet and end big, and that's exactly what's happened."

Episode III marks the end of the Star Wars saga, and McDiarmid admitted that he is sad to see it end. "I'll miss it, and it was great the last six years going to Australia to make a film," he said. "I think it's terrific for me that the final film is also my character's apotheosis. He really explodes in all his unbridled evil. Hypocrisy goes to one side and you see this creature for what he really is. It's been interesting to play the character in the last two movies on the sidelines, and now he moves into the middle. It's a very satisfying personal climax and a privilege." Star Wars: Episode III opens May 19.

Last edited by bobafett81 on Apr 12th, 2005 at 06:05 PM

Old Post Apr 12th, 2005 06:02 PM
Click here to Send bobafett81 a Private Message Find more posts by bobafett81 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Red Superfly
You creepy little stalker

Cheers dude!

Old Post Apr 12th, 2005 06:22 PM
Click here to Send Red Superfly a Private Message Find more posts by Red Superfly Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SithSpy
Prodigal Son

awesome Thanks!! rock

Old Post Apr 12th, 2005 06:24 PM
Click here to Send SithSpy a Private Message Find more posts by SithSpy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
nigeyo2000

Interesting article, I think it its safe to say that:

1: Sidious IS a Sith from the old days and hes been hiding somehow hence revenge of the sith.
2: The film is also about the emperor and we will see his history and unrevelaing, as well as about ani's turn.

Good find!

Old Post Apr 12th, 2005 06:25 PM
Click here to Send nigeyo2000 a Private Message Find more posts by nigeyo2000 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
((The_Anomaly))
2003 Super Senior Member

nice Ian is my fav actor, ups for that, I wish he would do more interviews....

BRAWL FRIEND CODE: 3823-8176-3726

Old Post Apr 12th, 2005 06:30 PM
Click here to Send ((The_Anomaly)) a Private Message Find more posts by ((The_Anomaly)) Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tachie5
Jar Jar's Assasin

Great read...Thanks for the info!

"Oh, Obi, If I only hadn't burnt Anakin's Hungry Man"

Old Post Apr 12th, 2005 06:37 PM
Click here to Send tachie5 a Private Message Find more posts by tachie5 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
~JP~
yeah baby

Thank you very much for posting. We have an official interview thread thats stickied right at the top of this section.

Old Post Apr 12th, 2005 06:38 PM
Click here to Send ~JP~ a Private Message Find more posts by ~JP~ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
XX Emperor XX
Twisted by the dark side

This has already been posted in the interviews thread

Thanx to Lord Tyrant for sig

Old Post Apr 12th, 2005 06:41 PM
Click here to Send XX Emperor XX a Private Message Find more posts by XX Emperor XX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
~JP~
yeah baby

Oh well then looks like it needs a closing. Whoops. laughing out loud

Old Post Apr 12th, 2005 06:47 PM
Click here to Send ~JP~ a Private Message Find more posts by ~JP~ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Thanks! But as mentioned, there already. Closed.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Apr 12th, 2005 06:49 PM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote