KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » What makes the new movies better than old ones?

What makes the new movies better than old ones?
Started by: Darth Grathius

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (7): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Darth Grathius

What makes the new movies better than old ones?

I was born after the original star wars movies came out and after growing up in the day and age of modern Hollywoo the original movies seem to be much worse than eps. 1,2, and 3. Please explain to me why 4,5, and 6 are so much better. Besides Hayden Christianson.

Old Post Jul 3rd, 2006 03:45 PM
Click here to Send Darth Grathius a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Grathius Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cking
King of the muscle shirts

I don't know maybe because they were the very first ones.

Old Post Jul 3rd, 2006 04:21 PM
Click here to Send cking a Private Message Find more posts by cking Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
reborn_213
Scruffy Nerf Herder

Episode 5 alone is better than the first three combined.

In the originals the ships were beaten up, unlike all the Naboo ships. Space travel wasn't done all whilly-nilly, it was a pain to get around Tatooine, never mind to Alderann.
It is much easier to relate to a young man who needs adventure but is stuck at home and eventually becomes a great hero than being a Jedi from birth or a very young age.
The rebels were the underdogs, they didn't have thousands of Jedis and clones to back them up.
The heroes knew that war didn't make one great, and laying down your weapon was better than rushing off and killing, unlike in the PT.
It actually had surprises in it.
It wasn't over the top.
The force was very mystical, not some scientific mumbo-jumbo.
Random characters weren't tied into the story, with the exception of the family bonds between Luke, Leia, and Vader. Boba wasn't related back then. Jabba was just a crime lord with no other relevance. Chewbacca was just a cool wookiee co-pilot.
Acting (Specifically Han, but the acting for other characters was just leauges above the PT).
The Catina scene.

Also much more, but I'll leave it to the rest of the people here.

Old Post Jul 3rd, 2006 04:53 PM
Click here to Send reborn_213 a Private Message Find more posts by reborn_213 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blue_Hefner

The lightsaber duels were better

Old Post Jul 3rd, 2006 04:59 PM
Click here to Send Blue_Hefner a Private Message Find more posts by Blue_Hefner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ESB -1138
Sonic Speed

I have to say what made the OT better was the fact you had no clue what was going to happen next. With the PT you already knew that Anakin was going to become Darth Vader and the Republic would turn into the Empire.

Not to mention then the Force was so strange and unknown you could only guess what it was.

Old Post Jul 3rd, 2006 05:01 PM
Click here to Send ESB -1138 a Private Message Find more posts by ESB -1138 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
aj_vader

Well i think the direction is better in the Original Trilogy and the acting, and personally i dont think that Mark Hamill is better than Hayden Christensen.

Lucas Directed Star Wars - A New Hope (He Got Lucky On That One)
Kershner Directed Empire Strikes Back (Fantastic Movie and Surpassed the Original)
Marquand Directed Return Of The Jedi, which wasn't great to be honest

The Phantom Menace felt like Return Of The Jedi in places and i cant think of anything Specific but i feel like am watching that kinda style of ROTJ

Attack Of The Clones was far better than The Phantom Menace and had a different feel than Phantom Menace, which was enjoyable

Revenge Of The Sith was brilliant and i feel that the second half of the movie is in the style of The Empire Strikes Back

So for me i think 3/4/5 are the better 3 of the 6 movies

I dont really think that i could say which trilogy i prefer,

I really do love them both

Old Post Jul 3rd, 2006 05:15 PM
Click here to Send aj_vader a Private Message Find more posts by aj_vader Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
reborn_213
Scruffy Nerf Herder

AOTC had such a lame CGI- "Blow it up!" feel to it. Special effects should be used to tell a story, not to be the actual story. I mean, I realize it was about the beginning of the clone wars, but it was too much action and not enough storyline.

Old Post Jul 3rd, 2006 05:40 PM
Click here to Send reborn_213 a Private Message Find more posts by reborn_213 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
overlord
OD'd

I wouldn't call RotS brilliant, a lot of fighting scenes and death after each other was exciting but not a true masterpiece of writing.

backwards, forwards, backwards, forwards

Old Post Jul 3rd, 2006 08:05 PM
Click here to Send overlord a Private Message Find more posts by overlord Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
smoker4
Me name be Leon

Re: What makes the new movies better than old ones?

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Darth Grathius
I was born after the original star wars movies came out and after growing up in the day and age of modern Hollywoo the original movies seem to be much worse than eps. 1,2, and 3. Please explain to me why 4,5, and 6 are so much better. Besides Hayden Christianson.

The concept was new then, the special effects were a big thing then, the stories are better especially ESB, its also Nostalgic for someone like me who saw them first time round, if i had been born after they came out my view on it might be totally different. smokin'

F**k you Loggins

Old Post Jul 3rd, 2006 09:42 PM
Click here to Send smoker4 a Private Message Find more posts by smoker4 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
REXXXX
Networking

I was born after they were released, but I watched them when I was 5 and was completely ensnared.

Old Post Jul 3rd, 2006 09:58 PM
Click here to Send REXXXX a Private Message Find more posts by REXXXX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Red Superfly
You creepy little stalker

The originals told the most important story, and had all of Lucas's best bits. Anything after that was superflous junk and special effects he couldn't do back in the day. The important, and best stuff, made it into the originals. Simple as that.

Old Post Jul 3rd, 2006 10:07 PM
Click here to Send Red Superfly a Private Message Find more posts by Red Superfly Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
sithsaber408
Intelligently Designed

Originally posted by aj_vader

So for me i think 3/4/5 are the better 3 of the 6 movies

I dont really think that i could say which trilogy i prefer,

I really do love them both

Agreed!

Those three there form the best trilogy!

The other three films could just as easily be two, with TPM and Clones being a single flick.

I too grew up after the original releases, (born in 1983) but watched them as a kid religiously, and saw the SE's in theatres.

I then saw the PT at 16, 19, and 22.

I liked them all too, so stick it if you didn't. big grin

They took me where I wanted to go, and showed me what I wanted to see.

I understood from the beginning (in a very basic way, of course) what those films would be about, (the rise of vader/Empire and the fall of Anakin/Republic) and I wasn't dissapointed.

To the thread starter, its not really fair to say that the new films are "better" than the OT, they were just made differently.

I personally prefer the PT, but just barely. wink

www.impactchurch.info

Old Post Jul 3rd, 2006 10:20 PM
Click here to Send sithsaber408 a Private Message Find more posts by sithsaber408 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chinabing

I love all six. yes

Old Post Jul 3rd, 2006 10:52 PM
Click here to Send chinabing a Private Message Find more posts by chinabing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rampant ox

THE PT IS BETTER BECAUSE OF COUNT DOOKU!!!!!! eek! eek!

Old Post Jul 3rd, 2006 11:12 PM
Click here to Send Rampant ox a Private Message Find more posts by Rampant ox Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
sithsaber408
Intelligently Designed

awww, shit.

www.impactchurch.info

Old Post Jul 3rd, 2006 11:15 PM
Click here to Send sithsaber408 a Private Message Find more posts by sithsaber408 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
~JP~
yeah baby

Re: What makes the new movies better than old ones?

Originally posted by Darth Grathius
Please explain to me why 4,5, and 6 are so much better.

Prolly should have clarified that to say they are so much better to YOU. I was 16 when ANH came out and to me the OT is by far better than the PT. Its just a matter of taste.

Old Post Jul 4th, 2006 12:07 AM
Click here to Send ~JP~ a Private Message Find more posts by ~JP~ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DeVi| D0do
The 8th Deadly Sin

Originally posted by Red Superfly
The originals told the most important story, and had all of Lucas's best bits. Anything after that was superflous junk and special effects he couldn't do back in the day. The important, and best stuff, made it into the originals. Simple as that.

So true. Almost nothing in AOTC is important...

Old Post Jul 4th, 2006 12:11 AM
Click here to Send DeVi| D0do a Private Message Find more posts by DeVi| D0do Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lotrtres3414

yeah i really like the first ones too. i think they are better because ( as most of you have said) special effects dont make a great movie. it has to do with the plot and also because you dont know what is going to happen. even though the first three are better i still like the other ones too.

dont cry that its over-smile that it happened

Old Post Jul 4th, 2006 05:02 AM
Click here to Send lotrtres3414 a Private Message Find more posts by lotrtres3414 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JediRobin23
Somewhat Liberal

Originally posted by Blue_Hefner
The lightsaber duels were better

I say the Luke vs Vader in EP VI was the best dual and still is.

Also,
EP VI is my fav. then EP III, then EP V

Last edited by JediRobin23 on Jul 4th, 2006 at 06:08 AM

Old Post Jul 4th, 2006 06:05 AM
Click here to Send JediRobin23 a Private Message Find more posts by JediRobin23 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

The OT had more "soul" to it. It sounded natural, the dialogue flowed with more ease and grace, and charm that the PT. The special effects, while cool and nifty, take away from the homely feeling most original SW fans grew up with. The battered ships and grime and dirt looks normal, it makes it seem more believable. When I first saw TPM, the first words that came to mind concerning the film were "scripted, forced, wooden, sterile." Same AOTC and ROTS. The OT isn't like that.

Old Post Jul 4th, 2006 07:05 AM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote