KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » Good is a point of view Anakin...wow!

Good is a point of view Anakin...wow!
Started by: General G

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (15): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
General G
Canadian.

Good is a point of view Anakin...wow!

I just realised the relevance of this! A mass murderer, lets use Hitler (being I am really getting into World War 2 now) as an example. By performing the Holocaust, he thought he was doing the world a favour, thus being the good guy, while the majority of the world thought he was doing wrong and the Allies were the good guys. Sidious thought that destroying the Republic and the Jedi was him being the good guy! And that the Sith were good! While the Jedi thought the complete opposite! So how do we decide who is "good" and who is truly "bad"?

Made by Tiffy!

Old Post Apr 10th, 2007 08:51 PM
Click here to Send General G a Private Message Find more posts by General G Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Schecter
Restricted

Account Restricted

we go to the philosophy forum and debate the topic in the 300+ already existing threads concerning it stick out tongue

"Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here."

Old Post Apr 10th, 2007 08:52 PM
Click here to Send Schecter a Private Message Find more posts by Schecter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
General G
Canadian.

Really? Damn, and here I thought I came across something groundbreaking sad

Made by Tiffy!

Old Post Apr 10th, 2007 08:55 PM
Click here to Send General G a Private Message Find more posts by General G Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

I doubt Palpy ever thought he was doing the universe any good... only himself.

Old Post Apr 10th, 2007 08:58 PM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
General G
Canadian.

Which was still good. wink

Made by Tiffy!

Old Post Apr 10th, 2007 08:59 PM
Schecter
Restricted

Account Restricted

true.

Old Post Apr 10th, 2007 08:59 PM
Click here to Send Schecter a Private Message Find more posts by Schecter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Can't beat that.

Old Post Apr 10th, 2007 09:00 PM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
General G
Canadian.

But he still thought he was doing good.

Made by Tiffy!

Old Post Apr 10th, 2007 09:03 PM
EPIIIBITES
Restricted

Account Restricted

Good isn't a point of view..I hope you're not basing your philosophical ideals off a movie...

There was nothing "good" about Hitler...whether he thought he was doing good, or whether you're giving him the benefit of the doubt in not being able to prove he was actually evil, at the end of the day the guy would gas people and stick people in ovens...he was sub-human.

And even in Star Wars, Palps wasn't the kind of Dooku-esque character that was stuck on some moral divide...he was just plain evil and he knew it.

Last edited by EPIIIBITES on Apr 10th, 2007 at 09:22 PM

Old Post Apr 10th, 2007 09:07 PM
Click here to Send EPIIIBITES a Private Message Find more posts by EPIIIBITES Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
sithsaber408
Intelligently Designed

quote: (post)
Originally posted by EPIIIBITES
Good isn't a point of view..I hope you're not basing your philosophical ideals off a movie...

There was nothing "good" about Hitler...whether he thought he was doing good, or whether you're giving him the benefit of the doubt in not being able to prove he was actually evil, at the end of the day the guy would gas people and stick people in ovens...he was sub-human.

And even in Star Wars, Palps wasn't the kind of Dooku-esque character that was stuck on some moral divide...he was just plain evil and he knew it.

Aye, but to him evil WAS good.

It was his nature, what he liked, so to him it was good.

GL makes this clear in plenty of dvd extras and stuff, that even evil people believe what they are doing is good... even though it's not.

He's talking about Anakin, but still.

I think Palps honestly thought that things would be better if he just wiped the slate clean of Jedi, senators, trade federation, etc.....

And started a strict, regulated, and controlled system of government.

See Anakin's EPII dialogue: "The politicians should discuss the problem, agree what's in the best interest of all the people, and then do it." And Padme responds: "That's what we do. The trouble is that people don't always agree." To which Anakin makes the very keen observation: "Well then they should be made to."

I think Palps thought very much along the same lines.

And it meant that his religious sect would get to destroy the rival religious sect in the process.

Score! stick out tongue

www.impactchurch.info

Old Post Apr 10th, 2007 09:23 PM
Click here to Send sithsaber408 a Private Message Find more posts by sithsaber408 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darthmaul1

Good is a point of view, I'm sure Hitler thought he was doing good and so did some of the people. The Taliban think theyare probably doing good.
But lets face it the only true good is being completely nice and not killing anyone. the good use knowledge and defence, never attack.

Old Post Apr 10th, 2007 09:24 PM
Click here to Send darthmaul1 a Private Message Find more posts by darthmaul1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
General G
Canadian.

Originally posted by sithsaber408
Aye, but to him evil WAS good.

It was his nature, what he liked, so to him it was good.

GL makes this clear in plenty of dvd extras and stuff, that even evil people believe what they are doing is good... even though it's not.

He's talking about Anakin, but still.

I think Palps honestly thought that things would be better if he just wiped the slate clean of Jedi, senators, trade federation, etc.....

And started a strict, regulated, and controlled system of government.

See Anakin's EPII dialogue: "The politicians should discuss the problem, agree what's in the best interest of all the people, and then do it." And Padme responds: "That's what we do. The trouble is that people don't always agree." To which Anakin makes the very keen observation: "Well then they should be made to."

I think Palps thought very much along the same lines.

And it meant that his religious sect would get to destroy the rival religious sect in the process.

Score! stick out tongue

Originally posted by darthmaul1
Good is a point of view, I'm sure Hitler thought he was doing good and so did some of the people. The Taliban think theyare probably doing good.
But lets face it the only true good is being completely nice and not killing anyone. the good use knowledge and defence, never attack.

What makes that good though? That is just what has been forced upon us to think...

Made by Tiffy!

Old Post Apr 10th, 2007 09:31 PM
Schecter
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by EPIIIBITES

ok, now lets throw out the hitler yardstick..its so overused

Old Post Apr 10th, 2007 09:54 PM
General G
Canadian.

Good idea, bad example by me.

Made by Tiffy!

Old Post Apr 10th, 2007 09:57 PM
Schecter
Restricted

Account Restricted

no, its not a matter of sensativity or being offensive, we should speak frankly about what we wish.
what i meant before was, he's too much of an extreme and thus proves nothing.
the truth is that good/evil depend on one's point of view. in some cases,
what is evil is almost universally agreed upon (like hitler) , however
like i said its an extreme and only complicates the topic rather than proves anything.

Last edited by Schecter on Apr 10th, 2007 at 10:07 PM

Old Post Apr 10th, 2007 10:01 PM
General G
Canadian.

Alright, then Hitler is excluded. You made a good point with that.

But I still go with the fact that while we were young, our parents forced in a way, what is good and what is bad, if someone were raised the opposite way, thinking that what we thought was good was actually bad and vice versa, then he would think he was perfectly normal.

EDIT: you edited!

Made by Tiffy!

Old Post Apr 10th, 2007 10:07 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Palpatine didn't think evil was a point of view, he just found that a very convenient argument to throw at Anakin (as it often is on philosophically soft people).

Palpatine is the pure and certain personification of "I'm evil and I love it."

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Apr 10th, 2007 10:17 PM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Schecter
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by General G

EDIT: you edited!

embarrasment yeah i forget to finish the point sometimes whistle

Old Post Apr 10th, 2007 11:15 PM
Ordo
Enforcer of the Republic

Re: Good is a point of view Anakin...wow!

Originally posted by General G
I just realised the relevance of this! A mass murderer, lets use Hitler (being I am really getting into World War 2 now) as an example. By performing the Holocaust, he thought he was doing the world a favour, thus being the good guy, while the majority of the world thought he was doing wrong and the Allies were the good guys. Sidious thought that destroying the Republic and the Jedi was him being the good guy! And that the Sith were good! While the Jedi thought the complete opposite! So how do we decide who is "good" and who is truly "bad"?

Good is a point of view. Thats why perceptions of good and evil change.

| Sigs | My Artwork | Sig Duel Record 24:4 | Alliance Respect Thread |

Old Post Apr 11th, 2007 12:08 AM
Click here to Send Ordo a Private Message Find more posts by Ordo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
EPIIIBITES
Restricted

Account Restricted

It's amazing how somewhow people are confusing "thinking that what you're doing is good" as being on par with actually "being good".

Palps wasn't good...that's why he's the "bad guy". And yes, Hitler wasn't good either. Why do you keep pulling out the "well, they thought they were doing good" card, as if that has any worth in the argument? What they did wasn't good!!!!

Good is not a point of view, fear does not necessarily lead to anger, and there IS a "try". It's just Star Wars people, it's not the final word!

wacko

Last edited by EPIIIBITES on Apr 11th, 2007 at 12:28 AM

Old Post Apr 11th, 2007 12:24 AM
Click here to Send EPIIIBITES a Private Message Find more posts by EPIIIBITES Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote