KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » What did you dislike about the Prequel Trilogy?

What did you dislike about the Prequel Trilogy?
Started by: Bardock42

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (8): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Bardock42

What did you dislike about the Prequel Trilogy?

I searched for a thread of that kind and didn't find any, though, admittedly, I wasn't exactly sure what to look for.

Anyways, I rewatched the PT recently and remember better what I disliked about them. I don't think they are horrible movies, they are okay, but they have this horrible aftertaste that I couldn't quite pinpoint, so I thought I'll let you guys help me. Just tell about what specific scenes, what dialouge, what ideas, what actions you didn't like and for what reasons. May it be something small and insignificant, or even something major. I'll start with a few things.

I really disliked the portrayal of Boba Fett as a child. He seemed extremely annoying and some of his dialouge just didn't fit with how the situation played out.

I also disliked a lot of Anakin's behaviour and dialouge with Padme. He was extremely whiny and her reactions were ridiculous. Just didn't draw me in at all.

R2s ridiculous upgrades that he magically seemed to have lost 20 years later is another thing, which just pissed me off.

Padme dying of a broken heart... no expression

Anakin's extremely easy fall to the dark side, which was again pretty idiotic.

The whole Pod Racing scene. Actually, all scenes where children get lame one liners while manouvering about.

Go on, please.

Old Post Sep 6th, 2008 09:12 PM
Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
sweersa

I agree on Boba, sorry Daniel Logan...your voice is funny...as well as your lines.

Jake Llyod. (that's all I will say on him)

Jar Jar should have been toned down just a little, maybe with a more serious voice.

I wish Attack of the Clones began showing the bad guys and Count gearing up and such. So we don't randomly see him half way throughout the movie and think WTF is he doing in here?

Better dialogue between Anakin and Padme.

Qui-Gon should have been a ghost in II and III. So his character would be like Ben Kenobi's in the OT.

I wish the PT wasn't bashed as much as it is...really all of the complaints are minor, they don't add up for me and I still love them as much as the OT. As time goes by people will begin to not complain as much.

That's it for me.

Old Post Sep 7th, 2008 02:13 AM
Click here to Send sweersa a Private Message Find more posts by sweersa Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jack Daniels
WOW!

I pretty much agree

I can't see straight will someone point me to the milkbar..?

Old Post Sep 7th, 2008 06:08 AM
Click here to Send Jack Daniels a Private Message Find more posts by Jack Daniels Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

I'm one of those who defend the PT quite strongly, but of course I have complaints. These are two fold:

1. Poor conceptual explanation. GL has lots of good and interesting ideas about the concept of Balance, the Living vs. Cosmic Force, the Prophecy, the problem of attachment and how love casn be a BAD thing, and even the midichlorians... and then promptly doesn't bother explaining any of them on-screen so that you have to check his interviews to know what he was talking about and meanwhile we are left with an understandable amount of fans who therefore read all these things the wrong way, from the "Doesn't balance mean good and evil are the same strength?" crowd to the "He's changed the Force into just a bunch of bacteria!" crowd, neither of which are at all true but you can see why people think it.

2. Too much plot. The original films did well on a three 'planet' formula- Tatooine/DeathStar/Yavin, Hoth/Dagobah/Bespin and Tatooine/Endor/Death Star, with maybe the odd small distraction like the asteroid field or Dagobah re-visit.

TPM immediately ran into some problems by going in a circle- Naboo/Tatooine/Coruscant/Naboo again. The thing that struck me at the time is how basically irrelevant Tatooine was to the wider plot. Its only purpose was to introduce Anakin and I an not sure he HAD to come from there, warching the original films. So anyway, TPM felt a little bit flabby.

AOTC is then the worst offender by far, with Coruscant (given some action at last, good start), Naboo AND Kamino, then Tatooine again, AND then Geonosis. You are in trouble already with five planets all trying to get a full bite of the story; ESB showed that two plotlines could be done but not with this kind of attempt at emotional detail. Just about everyone agrees the Naboo scenes were a total waste of time (and a look at the cut scenes shows that GL already junked a load of them out the window, so the original plan had them even longer). AOTC really is the film that feels you are having to rush at a silly speed through things as there is just too much, and meanwhile you beg to be able to get back to Obi-Wan's interesting plotline rather than watching Anakin force-feed Padme with crap cgi fruit slices.

Thank God they blew a load of crap up at the end, even though Mace and the Jedi seem to turn up about 30 minutes ahead of their massive army simply so they could get a lot of Jedi killed and be dramatically rescued. Oh well.

Then Revenge of the Sith... which actually I think does rather well, with only Kashyyk being literally surplus to requirements and they didn't waste too much time there. So actually ROTS gets a big pass from me.

However, none of the PT are actively broken like ROTJ was, so they are still better than that.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on Sep 7th, 2008 at 10:28 AM

Old Post Sep 7th, 2008 10:22 AM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

AOTC is my biggest disappointment really. I thought TPM fairly boring at first with all the taxation and senate stuff. Lucas really overestimated how interesting that was. But AOTC has basically no crucial plotline that drives the story of the Skywalker-family forward.

One of the things I always liked about AOTC was the wonderful plot Palpy had for taking over the universe. But it's left hanging out tehre and I doubt many people saw it (i.e. through Dooku Palpy gets all the major ecocnimical factions together - banking clan, techno union, trade federation etc - so when the clones do come into action they will destroy much of the universe's economical power thus leaving the way wide open to Palpy... genius). If Lucas had ditched the Naboo scenes, and made OB1's detective story into a proper detetctive story from Kamino dart, to Geonosis to finding out the major plot) than something wmight have happened in AOTC. Other than that it's all just shooting, fighting and what have ya. THe only two elements we get is: Clones are being made and angry Anakin&Padme fall in love... well, that's not much for a film of almost 2,5 hours.

Old Post Sep 7th, 2008 10:41 AM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
sweersa

Good posts guys.

I also forgot to mention the whole syphadias thing. Revenge of the Sith NEVER explained that. I am sure the EU has...but if it was in a movie, I wish it would have been more clear.

Old Post Sep 7th, 2008 01:01 PM
Click here to Send sweersa a Private Message Find more posts by sweersa Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Just remembered one piece of dialouge.

Obi Wan: "The Chancellor is evil"
Anaking "From my point of view the Jedi are evil"

Just didn't fit, imo. And the way he said it just sounded incredibly awkward.

Old Post Sep 7th, 2008 06:36 PM
Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
sweersa

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Bardock42

LOL I totally agree with you. My friend told me when he was watching ROTS he paused the movie right after Anakin delivered that line because he was sort of shocked in a way...it really makes no sense.

Old Post Sep 7th, 2008 07:18 PM
queeq
Chaos

Not only that. The delivery was awful as well. I wonder if this was Hayden trying out his Darth vader voice again.... *sigh*

Old Post Sep 10th, 2008 07:31 AM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lek Kuen
Ti Lun

Originally posted by Bardock42

i like what he was trying to say but it could have been said better

Props to Scythe for the sig

Old Post Sep 10th, 2008 11:20 AM
Click here to Send Lek Kuen a Private Message Find more posts by Lek Kuen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaeh
Possibly here.

exactly.

nice points.

I'm going to have to say that i'm not fond of some of the love scenes between Anakin and Padme... some feel awkward.

HIS force be with you.

Old Post Sep 10th, 2008 12:09 PM
Click here to Send Jaeh a Private Message Find more posts by Jaeh Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
sweersa

Originally posted by Jaeh.is.Awesome
exactly.

nice points.

I'm going to have to say that i'm not fond of some of the love scenes between Anakin and Padme... some feel awkward.

I agree, I wonder how Padme felt. lol

Old Post Sep 10th, 2008 07:24 PM
steverules
The doctor

Jar Jar Binks

Young boba who was a total pussy

Old Post Sep 10th, 2008 09:14 PM
Click here to Send steverules a Private Message Find more posts by steverules Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ahsoka Tano
Restricted

Account Restricted

Not enough whining by Anikan.

Thanks TGF

Old Post Sep 11th, 2008 04:40 AM
Click here to Send Ahsoka Tano a Private Message Find more posts by Ahsoka Tano Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaeh
Possibly here.

Ep 2- too much going on.

Padme dying of heartbreak was sort of... anticlimatic.

Anakin whines too much- and its not the good kind of whining either. its the annoying kind of whining.

that fart joke. what was that alien-thingy again which farted? meh. that was kinda stupid- especially jarjar's reaction, IMHO.

TPM seemed halfway between made for kids, made for adults and just plain... er, weird? stupid?

AOTC was too cheesy for me.

ROTS... can't think of any good reason for now.

HIS force be with you.

Old Post Sep 11th, 2008 01:10 PM
Click here to Send Jaeh a Private Message Find more posts by Jaeh Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
steverules
The doctor

Padme dying because she lost the will to live in ep.3 was just aloada bull...I mean I know we're meant to believe that Ani and Padme are deeply in love but her dying because she lost the will to live because Ani broke her heart is just...stupid.

Old Post Sep 11th, 2008 01:23 PM
Click here to Send steverules a Private Message Find more posts by steverules Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
sweersa

Originally posted by steverules
Padme dying because she lost the will to live in ep.3 was just aloada bull...I mean I know we're meant to believe that Ani and Padme are deeply in love but her dying because she lost the will to live because Ani broke her heart is just...stupid.

Happens.

Old Post Sep 11th, 2008 07:13 PM
Master Crimzon
Baby Killer

Yeah, it was like they were too chicken to let Anakin actually kill her. The irony would be better, the ending more satisfying.

Old Post Sep 11th, 2008 07:13 PM
Click here to Send Master Crimzon a Private Message Find more posts by Master Crimzon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Moriarty
Restricted

Account Restricted

i hated the fact that there wasnt any cheese in it.

YER LATEFER TEA!!

Old Post Sep 12th, 2008 01:51 AM
Click here to Send Moriarty a Private Message Find more posts by Moriarty Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ahsoka Tano
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Lord Knightfa11
i hated the fact that there wasnt any cheese in it.

Wrong movie/trilogy I assume.

The cheese factor was high in the prequels.

Thanks TGF

Old Post Sep 12th, 2008 01:55 AM
Click here to Send Ahsoka Tano a Private Message Find more posts by Ahsoka Tano Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote