KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » Sequel Trilogy - why bother?

Sequel Trilogy - why bother?
Started by: chilled monkey

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
chilled monkey

Sequel Trilogy - why bother?

There's been a lot of talk around here recently about the upcoming Sequel Trilogy. However I'm wondering, why should we bother with it?

The only reason the Sequel Trilogy is being made is so a bunch of greedy executives can make a ton of money off of merchandising. We, the fans, didn't ask for a Sequel Trilogy, we don't want it or need it. Those who like the movie characters have plenty of novels, comics etc featuring them and those same novels, comics etc have also created plenty of new characters for those who aren't fussed about those from the movies.

Sure, we can watch the Sequel Trilogy out of curiousity, but other than that why should we truly invest in it?

Old Post Jul 25th, 2014 03:12 AM
Click here to Send chilled monkey a Private Message Find more posts by chilled monkey Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

We, the fans, didn't ask for the original movies either, yet whadyaknow, they happened. And it's pretty friggin self-centered and selfish of you to focus only on the fans who like the novels and games. There are a lot more people out there who care about the movies than they do the EU. They're being made for them, since they're the ones that drive the franchise.

If you don't care, don't pay to see them. If you do care, then do.

Old Post Jul 25th, 2014 04:03 AM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

Re: Sequel Trilogy - why bother?

quote: (post)
Originally posted by chilled monkey
There's been a lot of talk around here recently about the upcoming Sequel Trilogy. However I'm wondering, why should we bother with it?

The only reason the Sequel Trilogy is being made is so a bunch of greedy executives can make a ton of money off of merchandising. We, the fans, didn't ask for a Sequel Trilogy, we don't want it or need it. Those who like the movie characters have plenty of novels, comics etc featuring them and those same novels, comics etc have also created plenty of new characters for those who aren't fussed about those from the movies.

Sure, we can watch the Sequel Trilogy out of curiousity, but other than that why should we truly invest in it?
What, exactly, is the purpose of this thread?

Old Post Jul 25th, 2014 04:05 AM
Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

To b*tch about something that doesn't deserve it.

Yet.

Old Post Jul 25th, 2014 04:06 AM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sinious
Yo Da Best

I'd love to see a more matured up Star Wars with PG-13 features. Since I won't get that, I'll probably just go see it out of curiosity.

"That is why you fail."

Old Post Jul 25th, 2014 04:06 AM
Click here to Send Sinious a Private Message Find more posts by Sinious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Originally posted by Sinious
I'd love to see a more matured up Star Wars with PG-13 features.
We had that. It was called Revenge of the Sith. It was so "dark" and "gritty" and "serious". Bro.

Old Post Jul 25th, 2014 04:07 AM
Emperordmb
LSDMB

Revenge of the Sith was ****in amazing IMO.

Shadilay my brothers and sisters. With any luck we will throw off the shackles of normie oppression. We have nothing to lose but our chains! Praise Kek!
THE MOTTO IS "IN KEK WE TRUST"

Old Post Jul 25th, 2014 04:13 AM
Click here to Send Emperordmb a Private Message Find more posts by Emperordmb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Yeah, I bet.

Old Post Jul 25th, 2014 04:18 AM
King Joker
Restricted

Account Restricted

I found RotS rather contrived.

I'm extremely excited for the new movies though.

Old Post Jul 25th, 2014 04:18 AM
Click here to Send King Joker a Private Message Find more posts by King Joker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sinious
Yo Da Best

Originally posted by Lord Lucien
We had that. It was called Revenge of the Sith. It was so "dark" and "gritty" and "serious". Bro.

Not really. The storyline was sad but the characters couldnt sell it. Bad acting and drama style dialogs have a huge effect on this though. Directors have a huge impact on the actors' performances. Thanks to Lucas, even Samuel Jackson performed poorly. Ian McDiarmid and Ewan McGregor were the only 2 who actually didn't suck.

However, I'm not crying out for another OT style trilogy. OT was great but it was the first step of the creation of this wide fictional universe and it evolved into something even better in time. What I'm looking for in a SW movie is the dark and philosophical concept that we had in KOTOR. That kind of concept would be awesome to watch regardless of the era.

Old Post Jul 25th, 2014 04:29 AM
Click here to Send Sinious a Private Message Find more posts by Sinious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Originally posted by Sinious
Not really.
No, really. We had that.

Old Post Jul 25th, 2014 06:07 AM
psmith81992
Restricted

Account Restricted

We need a Saw themed star wars movie. That is all.

There'll be a golden ladder reaching down.
When the man comes around.

Old Post Jul 25th, 2014 12:03 PM
Click here to Send psmith81992 a Private Message Find more posts by psmith81992 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chilled monkey

Re: Re: Sequel Trilogy - why bother?

Originally posted by NemeBro
What, exactly, is the purpose of this thread?

I'm just curious. I'd like to know why anyone should give a filoffal about these upcoming movies.

If you like the movie characters (Luke Leia, Chewbacca etc) then there are plenty of books, comics etc that say "what happened next." Why bother with new movies when you already have the means to spend time with beloved characters?

Likewise if you weren't interested in the movie characters, the EU introduced others. Except that they won't be in the new movies.

And it's pretty friggin self-centered and selfish of you to focus only on the fans who like the novels and games.

I'm not. I'm considering the movie fans too.

There are a lot more people out there who care about the movies than they do the EU.

But like I said, the movie characters are covered in the novels/comics. If say, your favourite is Luke Skywalker then there are plenty of novels/comics with him in. If you want to spend time with him you can read those.

I honestly want to know, what is the appeal?

Old Post Jul 25th, 2014 03:29 PM
Click here to Send chilled monkey a Private Message Find more posts by chilled monkey Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Re: Re: Re: Sequel Trilogy - why bother?

I'm not. I'm considering the movie fans too.

But like I said, the movie characters are covered in the novels/comics. If say, your favourite is Luke Skywalker then there are plenty of novels/comics with him in. If you want to spend time with him you can read those.

I honestly want to know, what is the appeal?
Okay...

The appeal is that a movie is a movie, not a comic or novel. This is like asking what's the appeal of driving a car when there's a city bus you can hop on? They're not the same thing, and I honestly don't know how you can't see that. The movies are being made for people who want to see more Star Wars. The novels and comics are made for people who like to read Star Wars novels and comics. It's not a competition about either-or. Different media for different people, and it happens that the films are far more high-profile and lucrative.

Seriously, how are you not grasping such a simple concept?

Old Post Jul 25th, 2014 04:22 PM
chilled monkey

Re: Re: Re: Re: Sequel Trilogy - why bother?

Okay...

The appeal is that a movie is a movie, not a comic or novel. This is like asking what's the appeal of driving a car when there's a city bus you can hop on? They're not the same thing, and I honestly don't know how you can't see that. The movies are being made for people who want to see more Star Wars. The novels and comics are made for people who like to read Star Wars novels and comics.

Yeah, but you watch a movie or read a book for the same reason. Because it has characters you like.

These movies are just not needed as there is already plenty of stuff featuring the movie characters.

See below.

It's not a competition about either-or. Different media for different people, and it happens that the films are far more high-profile and lucrative.

That's part of the problem. The novels etc are made for art. The movies are just a way to make money.

In any case, I'm not saying people shouldn't watch it. Heck, I'll probably watch the Sequel Trilogy myself.

When I say, "why bother with it?" I just mean I see no reason to treat it as anything more than a what-if story.

To put it another way, to me the EU is what "really happened" and these movies will just be a diversion.

Old Post Jul 25th, 2014 04:41 PM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Sequel Trilogy - why bother?

Yeah, but you watch a movie or read a book for the same reason. Because it has characters you like.

These movies are just not needed as there is already plenty of stuff featuring the movie characters.

See below.
Wrong. I watch a movie because I want the experience of a movie. And part of the criteria for a story-based film is the characters. Don't confuse the correlation of the themes/characters/story of a film with the desire for the existence of the film just in and of itself. Reading a book is different from reading a comic, watching a movie is different from playing a video-game, etc. Different media, different deliveries, different executions, different experiences.

That's part of the problem. The novels etc are made for art. The movies are just a way to make money.

In any case, I'm not saying people shouldn't watch it. Heck, I'll probably watch the Sequel Trilogy myself.

When I say, "why bother with it?" I just mean I see no reason to treat it as anything more than a what-if story.

To put it another way, to me the EU is what "really happened" and these movies will just be a diversion.
Don't trick yourself in to one-sided cynicism. For one, it's narrow-minded and rather ignorant, and for another, it reeks of a bygone elitist attitude that entertainment media can only be "art" if it's put to page instead of celluloid.

It doesn't take much maneuvering to take your position on this and make it say "Why have film at all, when the characters of film can instead just be put to print?" Sounds retarded, doesn't it?

Just to reiterate, film--and I'm going to emphasize this like a prick--Is. Not. The. Same. As. Print. It's an entirely separate experience and a totally different way to delivery a story, characters, worlds, themes, effects, music, etc. These movies are being made for people who want to once again see Star Wars as a movie (and hopefully a good one this time). It's not about the Star Wars characters, it's about the Star Wars movie.

Last edited by Lord Lucien on Jul 25th, 2014 at 05:29 PM

Old Post Jul 25th, 2014 05:23 PM
Kalen Sykes

Chilled Monkey,

You do realize, that with Disney's new Canon policy that "what happens next" in all of those books and comics now didn't happen, right? Also, those new interesting characters, introduced in said books and comics, likewise don't exist in the Canon universe. I understand if you personally don't want or need a Sequel Trilogy, but I for one would enjoy seeing the OT characters benefiting from some updated technology, to better show their capabilities, compared to how they originally were presented.

Besides, this means that new books and comics will be produced, so even if you disagree with the new trilogy, you at least get that.

Old Post Jul 25th, 2014 05:35 PM
Click here to Send Kalen Sykes a Private Message Find more posts by Kalen Sykes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FreshestSlice
Eternal Commander

Originally posted by Emperordmb
Revenge of the Sith was ****in amazing IMO.

For a Star Wars movie anyway.

Old Post Jul 25th, 2014 07:48 PM
Click here to Send FreshestSlice a Private Message Find more posts by FreshestSlice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

Originally posted by Emperor F Xtasy
I am a troll, don't bother with me.

Fixed for truth.

Shadilay my brothers and sisters. With any luck we will throw off the shackles of normie oppression. We have nothing to lose but our chains! Praise Kek!
THE MOTTO IS "IN KEK WE TRUST"

Old Post Jul 25th, 2014 08:07 PM
Click here to Send Emperordmb a Private Message Find more posts by Emperordmb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chilled monkey

Originally posted by Kalen Sykes
Chilled Monkey,

You do realize, that with Disney's new Canon policy that "what happens next" in all of those books and comics now didn't happen, right?

Wrong.

I decide for myself what I consider to be canon. To me the books/comics etc are what happened.

Now maybe (just maybe) the new movies will actually be good (although I doubt it), in which case I'll consider them a parallel universe.

If Disney told you to stop breathing would you do it, or would you think for yourself and say "no, I'll keep on breathing."

Originally posted by Kalen Sykes
Also, those new interesting characters, introduced in said books and comics, likewise don't exist in the Canon universe.

Says who? A bunch of suits? I don't let suits tell me what to enjoy and what not to. I adore those characters so to me they exist.

If Disney thinks they can tell me how to live my life, they can get stuffed. I apologize for saying this, but it seems to me like people here are acting like brainwashed drones that only think what Disney tells them to.

Last edited by chilled monkey on Jul 26th, 2014 at 12:21 AM

Old Post Jul 26th, 2014 12:15 AM