KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » More Movie Forums » The Matrix Movies » What is the Matrix?

What is the Matrix?
Started by: Jedi Shmedi

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Jedi Shmedi
NNOOO000000oooooo

What is the Matrix?

Jedi Shmedi here, just I was just wondering what peoples thoughts are about what the Matrix is.

My theory is that the Matrix could be considered a minipulation of a controllable dream, so to speak.

Think about it, in a dream you can bend the laws of physics and do things you couldn't normally do in real life. You can be and do unorthidox (sorry if that's spelled wrong) things that would otherwise be imposible.(dodge bullets, jump 50 feet into the air, FLY, etc.

And when you "jack in" you aren't asleep but your not awake either.

Just want to here other peoples ideas and theories. big grin

Old Post Dec 18th, 2003 12:26 AM
Jedi Shmedi is currently offline Click here to Send Jedi Shmedi a Private Message Find more posts by Jedi Shmedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mordecai
I am the way.

The Matrix = Control.

If you mean what it actually "is".

"Its a computer simulated dreamworld pulled over your eyes to blind you from the truth"

*shrugs*

Morpheus says something like that.

and you've got to make it stop. And you've got to indicate to the people who run it,
to the people who own it, that unless you're free, the machine will be prevented from working at all!" - Mario Savio

Last edited by Mordecai on Dec 18th, 2003 at 01:52 AM

Old Post Dec 18th, 2003 01:49 AM
Mordecai is currently offline Click here to Send Mordecai a Private Message Find more posts by Mordecai Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
sum1butno1
Transient being

Morpheus also describes it as part of a neural-interactive interface, or something. I thought it was more of a computer game type thing.
confused Except the "Your mind makes it real" thing still confuses the hell out of me. I can't explain that without resorting to MWAM, which many people resent.

Old Post Dec 18th, 2003 04:08 AM
sum1butno1 is currently offline Click here to Send sum1butno1 a Private Message Find more posts by sum1butno1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tired-Hiker
El Bastardo

Plus when you die in the Matrix you die in real life, thats how crazy the Matrix is. The Matrix should not be taunted.

Old Post Dec 18th, 2003 04:40 AM
Tired-Hiker is currently offline Click here to Send Tired-Hiker a Private Message Find more posts by Tired-Hiker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tired-Hiker
El Bastardo

Neural interactive, that's what separates the Matrix from a dream world.

Old Post Dec 18th, 2003 04:41 AM
Tired-Hiker is currently offline Click here to Send Tired-Hiker a Private Message Find more posts by Tired-Hiker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TOH
Dude, where is my car?

That was discussed many times before but here we go: The Matrix is a reality for the humans that is so convincing the humans believe it to be real and cannot tell they have been enslaved. Everything within The Matrix is the visual representation of an immense computer program. The visual representation of life is so realistic, the manner that everything happens within the program is so believable the humans understand this to be life, unwittingly providing power for the computers to live off. When humans died in The Matrix their brains are so tightly integrated into this existence that they die because their brains have been given so much stimulus to say "your dead", that the human dies.

Made by the awesome BakaXero

Old Post Dec 18th, 2003 04:49 AM
TOH is currently offline Click here to Send TOH a Private Message Find more posts by TOH Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tired-Hiker
El Bastardo

Yep.

Old Post Dec 18th, 2003 04:54 AM
Mordecai
I am the way.

Could someone please tell me what MWAM is??

I can't figure it out.

and you've got to make it stop. And you've got to indicate to the people who run it,
to the people who own it, that unless you're free, the machine will be prevented from working at all!" - Mario Savio

Old Post Dec 18th, 2003 07:55 AM
Mordecai is currently offline Click here to Send Mordecai a Private Message Find more posts by Mordecai Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jetzhere101
i can feel it

mwam=matrix within a matrix which was one of the theories on the end of the movies.........but the wac. bros had something else in mind.,,,,,,,

also this is something i think the balancing equation was very impt......
see as smith told in m1 and archi. that the first matrix was a sort of heaven........but quite strangely humans were dying........
this is where balancing of the equation takes place........for every good there needs to be a bad........so the next version of the matrix was more realistic i.e in other words it included traumas,and agrressions and all the evils to balance out the good.........

and the human mind is so deeply involved and used to evils that altogether it jsut can sustain all the good........this thought runs parallel to the theory that old brains cant be unplugged or else they will die,,,,,,,,,,,,

give me ur views.........

Last edited by jetzhere101 on Dec 18th, 2003 at 12:47 PM

Old Post Dec 18th, 2003 12:42 PM
jetzhere101 is currently offline Click here to Send jetzhere101 a Private Message Find more posts by jetzhere101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
((The_Anomaly))
2003 Super Senior Member

wtf are u guys talking about?

IF.....YOU....WATCH....THE.....MOVIES.......THEN......THE......ANSWER.....IS....PRETTY....OBVIOUS!!!!!!

mad

BRAWL FRIEND CODE: 3823-8176-3726

Old Post Dec 18th, 2003 08:41 PM
((The_Anomaly)) is currently offline Click here to Send ((The_Anomaly)) a Private Message Find more posts by ((The_Anomaly)) Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

To quote the website, there are numerous discontinuities from the dream analogy.

Most importantly of all is that what you impinge upon reality there is also perceved by, and affects, otrer people.

In that way it acts like conventional reality- just not physical- rather than a dream world.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Dec 18th, 2003 08:46 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ajayz

It's a big computer.

Old Post Dec 18th, 2003 09:00 PM
ajayz is currently offline Click here to Send ajayz a Private Message Find more posts by ajayz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Real
I have more tech than you

MWAM was the idea that the matrix was built on 3 total levels:
level 1) the matrix as viewed in M1 (the matrix neo is freed from)
level 2) the "real world" which is also another matirx, mainly built for machine reality (as in, the sentinels are plugged in like humans) and that as humans break from level 1, they invade level 2, and "cramp" the machines matrix
level 3) the Real real world. nothing is known of this world, but i imagine that it is very clean and white, prolly like a sterile room.

Something that comes from this theory is that maybe humans are already extinct, but that AI keeps the race alive within the computers, and because of that, they can only possibly ascend into level 2, because there would be no host for them in level 3, and that the machines have created the levels of the matrix as a sort of "game" and that really the world is now completely run by machines, no humans w/s/o, and not as bad as it looks on tv...um, that might be confusing...i was kinda rambling...sry.

Old Post Dec 19th, 2003 01:13 AM
Real is currently offline Click here to Send Real a Private Message Find more posts by Real Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Verity

Shouldn't everyone know this already without having to explain it? sad

Old Post Dec 19th, 2003 01:48 AM
Verity is currently offline Click here to Send Verity a Private Message Find more posts by Verity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jemmett

The Matrix is a way for the bros. to make a statement about reality without appearing dry and cold. It's a movie - therefore it's edible and tastes good. You don't have to agree to enjoy it... and if you enjoy it you might consider agreeing.

More than that... it's the reality created by so many thoughts of *our* past. When Neo is foretold to be the one that can change The Matrix as he sees fit... it's actually a little girl instead that does this. A program in fact. She manifests the rising sun into a new day... a new day for all - where things are different.

So humans are now not the only ones who have the potential to be anything they shape themselves into.

I think Neo was an example. The Oracle had other potentials to see when Neo first met her. So other humans can possess such gifts. They can choose to wake up and smell the free air. Or stay in their ignorant bliss.

Programs breath program air. In that way free humans and programs differ. To be enlightened is to breath free air? Perhaps? Maybe.

"After enlightenment one is still the same as one was before. One is simply free from unreality and delusion. The ordinary person's mind is the same as the sage's, because Original Mind is perfect and complete in itself. After you have had this recognition, please don't lose it." - Kueishan

Old Post Dec 19th, 2003 03:00 AM
jemmett is currently offline Click here to Send jemmett a Private Message Find more posts by jemmett Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

People seem to be missing the point of the question. Ther person is asking about the fundamental nature of the Matrix, not what it physically IS which is indeed obvious.

He is making it a dream analogy but as I point out that is highly objectionable despite the numerous dream metaphors used in the film- they are supposed to get you into the idea that it was not the real world, not that it was literal dreaming.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Old Post Dec 19th, 2003 12:27 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

The Matrix = Shallow.

Old Post Dec 19th, 2003 06:05 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Korri

give it a break!

Old Post Dec 19th, 2003 06:11 PM
Korri is currently offline Find more posts by Korri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Just answering the question.

Old Post Dec 19th, 2003 06:17 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Not even close to answering the question and also not a vaguely useful contribution so please desist with that sort of thing., BF.

BtVS

Old Post Dec 19th, 2003 06:29 PM