KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » More Movie Forums » The Matrix Movies » Film References in the Matrix Trilogy

Film References in the Matrix Trilogy
Started by: mook

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
mook

Film References in the Matrix Trilogy

how many film references are there in the Matrix Trilogy?
i found these on moviemistakes.com...
any more to add?

Matrix:
A Total Recall reference when Morpheus gives Neo the red pill to "bring him to reality"? That was a direct shout out to when the doctor gives Arnold's character the red pill to "bring him to reality".

The scene where the sentinels come for the first time is a large allusion to Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back. It's a combination of the scenes where Lando and Chewie fly the falcon after getting Luke's hand fixed, and the asteroid field scene. Luke, having just gotten a new hand, sort of limps in the cockpit with Leia; in the Matrix, Neo just woke up and hobbles in with Trinity. The cockpit is almost identical, and Morpheus says Star Wars lines from the asteroid field scene, "Set her down there." and "Here they come."

In the final subway showdown between Neo and Agent Smith, Neo breaks Smith's glasses in a way that his eye is showing similarly to in Terminator. Also, when they extract the bug from Neo and throw it out of the car onto the street, the red light that is like the power button slowly dims and goes out, just like what happens to the Terminator when it dies.

Matrix Reloaded:
If you have seen "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon", pay attention to the fight between Neo and Seraph. It has the same exact hits, shots and music of the first fight of CTHD (it is especially obvious when we see both men's legs almost like dancing).

Towards the end of the freeway chase when the Agent takes control of the truck, the suspenseful sound effects that play in the background are almost identical to those used in the famous truck chase in Terminator 2.

When the Architect is talking about all the people that will die in Zion, there are clips from TV commercials and other movies on the screens beside/behind him. Among them is a famous black and white clip from Alfred Hitchcock's 1960 film "Psycho".

Old Post Jan 19th, 2004 04:51 PM
mook is currently offline Click here to Send mook a Private Message Find more posts by mook Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mook

just thought of one from Revolutions:

when trinity is tied up and frees herself using broken glass, im pretty sure this is a reference to the W.bros' other film 'Bound' when one of the female leads does the same thing.

Old Post Jan 19th, 2004 05:35 PM
mook is currently offline Click here to Send mook a Private Message Find more posts by mook Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Inkeeper

this should go in my Im Sure thread

DEFEND THAT ONE stick out tongue

Im Back happy

Old Post Jan 19th, 2004 06:35 PM
The Inkeeper is currently offline Click here to Send The Inkeeper a Private Message Find more posts by The Inkeeper Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
sum1butno1
Transient being

I've never actually seen this movie, but I've read in on a few sites that the Trinity Chase scene in M1 is similar to Alfred Hitchcock's "Vertigo". The dizzying camera over the staircase when Neo's going to meet Morpheus for the first time is supposedly from that, too.

Yet another movie I've never seen(though not for lack of trying), "Ghost in the Shell", has a scene very similar to the part in M1 where Trin flies through the window and pulls out double 9 mils.

Last edited by sum1butno1 on Jan 19th, 2004 at 10:23 PM

Old Post Jan 19th, 2004 10:20 PM
sum1butno1 is currently offline Click here to Send sum1butno1 a Private Message Find more posts by sum1butno1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
sum1butno1
Transient being

Here's a pic of the one from Ghost in the Shell.
(please log in to view the image)
...Okay. That doesn't look as much like Trin's scene as I thought it did.

Old Post Jan 19th, 2004 10:29 PM
sum1butno1 is currently offline Click here to Send sum1butno1 a Private Message Find more posts by sum1butno1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TOH
Dude, where is my car?

In Ghost in the Shell Bateu and one of the Agents both tried to take a shot at their persuee. They ended up missing and hitting some watermelons instead. In the Matrix this was right after the subway fight scene, as Neo was getting chased by all three Agents. Of course Wachowski Bros.were trying to pay homage to Ghost in the Shell with this scene...

Attachment: image3.jpg
This has been downloaded 73 time(s).

Made by the awesome BakaXero

Old Post Jan 20th, 2004 02:40 AM
TOH is currently offline Click here to Send TOH a Private Message Find more posts by TOH Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mook

quote:
Originally posted by sauron
this should go in my Im Sure thread

DEFEND THAT ONE stick out tongue

i dont understand you.

Old Post Jan 21st, 2004 06:00 PM
mook

The One Himself>In Ghost in the Shell Bateu and one of the Agents both tried to take a shot at their persuee. They ended up missing and hitting some watermelons instead. In the Matrix this was right after the subway fight scene, as Neo was getting chased by all three Agents. Of course Wachowski Bros.were trying to pay homage to Ghost in the Shell with this scene...

thats cool, do you know any other anime references as theres sure to be more.

Old Post Jan 21st, 2004 06:01 PM
mook

A shot of the combat training exercises Tank is uploading to Neo's head can be seen. The first fighting style Neo learns is Drunken Boxing. The fight choreographer, Woo-ping Yuen, was also the director and fight choreographer for Jackie Chan's 1978 early hit, Zui Quan. In this movie, Jackie Chan's character masters the style of Drunken Boxing, or Zui Chuan.

After Neo realizes he is The One, he uses the same blocking moves against Agent Smith that Daniel LaRusso uses against Mr. Miyagi in 1984's Karate Kid. The moves include "Sand the floor," "paint the fence" and "wax on, wax off."

The anime "Ghost in the Shell" was also a major influence in The Matrix movies. In the anime, machines desired liberation and were wired into networks via ports through the skin. When the agent jumps buildings in chase of Trinity, his poses were influenced by this anime.

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2004 07:14 PM
sum1butno1
Transient being

In M1, when Neo is being chased through Chinatown right after the Subway fight, he says "Mr. Wizard, get me the hell out of here!" Is that a reference to some other movie?

And another Anime influence could be in the potential ones in the Oracle's apartment. They seem almost like the espers in Akira.

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2004 02:15 AM
mook

quote:
Originally posted by sum1butno1
In M1, when Neo is being chased through Chinatown right after the Subway fight, he says "Mr. Wizard, get me the hell out of here!" Is that a reference to some other movie?

And another Anime influence could be in the potential ones in the Oracle's apartment. They seem almost like the espers in Akira.

* When Neo is calling to get extracted from the Matrix, he says, "Mr. Wizard get me out of here." This is a reference to the 1960's cartoon Tooter Turtle. In each episode, Tooter would wish to be something he wasn't and have his lizard friend Mr. Wizard use his magic wand and make him whatever Tooter desired. Tooter would quickly get himself into trouble and call out, "Help Mr. Wizard," and the lizard would say, "Drizzle, drazzle, druzzle, drome, time for this one to come home." Tooter would become his old self and be preached to by Mr. Wizard to be happy with who you are.

and yeah the kids are a reference to Akira.

Do you know a lot of anime - anymore references?

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2004 11:45 AM
Thomas Anderson

In the sequels there's a few references to the original.

Only one I can remember now is the Tastee Wheat signs either on the freeway or a billboard in the subway in Revolutions. There's more but I forgot... sad

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2004 04:58 PM
Thomas Anderson is currently offline Click here to Send Thomas Anderson a Private Message Find more posts by Thomas Anderson Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote