KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » More Movie Forums » The Matrix Movies » Neo is not supposed to be like Jesus?

Neo is not supposed to be like Jesus?
Started by: lordnikon

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
lordnikon

The Religious Side Of The Matrix

I think there are a lot of aspects in The Matrix that have Religious connotation ... so this is an oportunity to discuss them

Old Post Jul 1st, 2003 09:42 PM
lordnikon is currently offline Click here to Send lordnikon a Private Message Find more posts by lordnikon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lordnikon

The first thing I noticed are the names ... I think about all the names in the films are in the Bible or have a religious meaning

Secondly in the Nebuchadnezzar, over the name it is ritten :"Mark III 11"
The Bible at Mark 3:11 - "Whenever the evil spirits saw him, they fell down before him and cried out, "You are the Son of God."

Old Post Jul 1st, 2003 09:47 PM
lordnikon is currently offline Click here to Send lordnikon a Private Message Find more posts by lordnikon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Metroplex

The names are also biblical references. Some have no significant meaning EX:Cain and Abel the 2 werewolves. Cain and Abel are Adam and Eve's children and Abel was brutally murdered by Cain. It doesnt really mean anything.

Old Post Jul 8th, 2003 10:29 PM
Metroplex is currently offline Click here to Send Metroplex a Private Message Find more posts by Metroplex Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JavX
High Priest

Merovingian is the name of a European Dynasty if recall its was supposed that it derived from jesus and mary magdalen... which is a lot like Neo and Trinity... even the two names together have a religious meaning..
New Holy Three..
You can also see a picture of Last Supper on a souvenir stall next to a purple Buddha.

dwell in what i have written, for my written word is all you need to know

JavX 3:20:28

Old Post Jul 10th, 2003 01:45 PM
JavX is currently offline Click here to Send JavX a Private Message Find more posts by JavX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sifer

Yeah they were the Merovingian Kings from the land of Frank smile Now known as France. They where, as you said, supposedly the descendants of Christ. They also took part in the Crusades.

This would explain his accent and why it is his favourite but I am guessing it has something to do with his "purpose".

Old Post Jul 10th, 2003 02:37 PM
Sifer is currently offline Click here to Send Sifer a Private Message Find more posts by Sifer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JavX
High Priest

Well the entire movie in someway follows the life of jesus.

I wont try to list them all here.. but do a little searching and im sure you will find a lot

Old Post Jul 10th, 2003 02:40 PM
JavX is currently offline Click here to Send JavX a Private Message Find more posts by JavX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sifer

Indeed it does. Not to mention the Armageddon references etc. Lot's and Lots...the Wachowski's must have the most time on their hands hehe big grin

Old Post Jul 10th, 2003 02:41 PM
Sifer is currently offline Click here to Send Sifer a Private Message Find more posts by Sifer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JavX
High Priest

Either that or just trying to subconciously brainwash us

Old Post Jul 10th, 2003 02:43 PM
Sifer

It wouldn't surprise me to be honest. The amount of subliminal messages in both films are astonishing. Particularly the 1st after seeing the 2nd. No doubt the 2nd will be the same when the 3rd is released.

Old Post Jul 10th, 2003 02:49 PM
JavX
High Priest

to say the least.. the third will be interesting.

Old Post Jul 10th, 2003 02:50 PM
((The_Anomaly))
2003 Super Senior Member

Neo is not supposed to be like Jesus?

I heard somewhere, possibly on these fourms that the W bros. said the Neo was never intended to be like Jesus. This to me is the biggest load of crap that I have heard, If you look at the signes, its impossible to deny that Neo, though he wasent "Jesus" he was supposed to imbody that sort of role. Perhaps even more so, then simply imbodiy it. I think that the W. Bros were lying about Neo not being like Jesus, and that they never intended him to be like jesus. Look at the evidence.

1. Neo was killed and Resurected with great power, like Jesus
2. Neo has the ability to "heal" the dead, (Trinity) like Jesus
3. He is referred to numorus times in the movies as a Messiah, and a saviour
4. He gives his life for the lives of all the people (and machienes) like Jesus
5. When he dies (presumably he dies at the end of revolutions) he dies in the same position as Jesus did on the cross
6. When he dies, right after, Duses Ex Mechina says "it is done" this is the same as when Jesus is killed on the cross (i dont remember who says it) but they say "it is done" after they kill Jesus.

I'm sure that i missed some but you get the point, there is no way that the W. Bros did not intend for Neo to be like Jesus, its impossible, and it annoys me when people say things like that.

I know that Neo is not supposed to be "Jesus" exactaly, however you cannot deny that it was at least intended for Neo to portray the same sort of idea....

BRAWL FRIEND CODE: 3823-8176-3726

Old Post Apr 16th, 2004 02:12 PM
((The_Anomaly)) is currently offline Click here to Send ((The_Anomaly)) a Private Message Find more posts by ((The_Anomaly)) Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dragonpisces272
got coffee?

you know i really thought that the idea of jesus was embodied in neo...i even had those two pictures of jesus and neo compared and they seemed alot alike in some cases (the part where neo entered the door in the end of reloaded)

Made by: Pictofix Designs. Want a sig or wallpaper? Drop me a message

Old Post Apr 16th, 2004 04:08 PM
dragonpisces272 is currently offline Click here to Send dragonpisces272 a Private Message Find more posts by dragonpisces272 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Korri

Neo is a Messianic figure blink

where did you hear that?

Old Post Apr 16th, 2004 04:10 PM
Korri is currently offline Find more posts by Korri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dragonpisces272
got coffee?

oh...we heared it over the radio yes

Made by: Pictofix Designs. Want a sig or wallpaper? Drop me a message

Old Post Apr 16th, 2004 04:42 PM
dragonpisces272 is currently offline Click here to Send dragonpisces272 a Private Message Find more posts by dragonpisces272 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Korri

where? blink

Old Post Apr 16th, 2004 05:05 PM
Korri is currently offline Find more posts by Korri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JediHDM
Jedi of the Matrix

Re: Neo is not supposed to be like Jesus?

quote:
Originally posted by ((The_Anomaly))
I heard somewhere, possibly on these fourms that the W bros. said the Neo was never intended to be like Jesus. This to me is the biggest load of crap that I have heard, If you look at the signes, its impossible to deny that Neo, though he wasent "Jesus" he was supposed to imbody that sort of role. Perhaps even more so, then simply imbodiy it. I think that the W. Bros were lying about Neo not being like Jesus, and that they never intended him to be like jesus. Look at the evidence.

1. Neo was killed and Resurected with great power, like Jesus
2. Neo has the ability to "heal" the dead, (Trinity) like Jesus
3. He is referred to numorus times in the movies as a Messiah, and a saviour
4. He gives his life for the lives of all the people (and machienes) like Jesus
5. When he dies (presumably he dies at the end of revolutions) he dies in the same position as Jesus did on the cross
6. When he dies, right after, Deus Ex Machina says "it is done" this is the same as when Jesus is killed on the cross (i dont remember who says it) but they say "it is done" after they kill Jesus.

God the Father says "It is done"...

But Neo was never meant to not be Jesus, or a Jesus figure...Like we have stated before, the Bros. encorporated quite a bit of religion into the Matrix, and Christianity is there as well. You probably heard that 'Neo is not Jesus' implying that, while he may be similar to Jesus in many aspects, such as those iterated above, he is Not Jesus.

FOR THE MOTHERLAND!!
KMC KGB

Old Post Apr 16th, 2004 05:29 PM
JediHDM is currently offline Click here to Send JediHDM a Private Message Find more posts by JediHDM Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Omega
Z10N0101

The Anomaly> As JediHDM says: Neo was not LIKE JESUS. You find elements of Buddhism, Hinduism, Islam and Christianity throughout the movies. When you hear someone say “Neo’s NOT like Jesus” it may be some frustrated forumite trying to explain that The W-brothers never intended for Neo or the Matrix Movies to be JUST Christian.

Neo wakes up and realises the truth. This is Buddhism/Hinduism.
Neo dies and is resurrected. This is Christianity/Islam.
MORPHEUS is betrayed by Cypher. This has a Judas-flavour to it, but was it Christian then Cypher should’ve betrayed Neo.
Neo is troubled by visions of the future. This you can find in ALL religions.
The Oracle helps the hero. This is mostly Ancient Greek/Roman.
Neo accepts his role and fight for his people. This is Islam.
Neo is tempted by Persephone. Temptation is present in both Buddhism/Islam and Christianity.
Neo is brought before the Creator/Architect. This is VERY deep, and debates omnipotency of creators.
The Merovingian smells like the Devil (Club Hell for example), which is both Christian and Islamic in origin (Fallen Angel kinda thing).
And SO on an so forth.

"I just thought you were a guy."
"... Most guys do."

Old Post Apr 16th, 2004 05:38 PM
The Omega is currently offline Click here to Send The Omega a Private Message Find more posts by The Omega Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JediHDM
Jedi of the Matrix

OMEGA!!!! you're hardly on anymore...of course, i have no room to talk, so... thumb up

laughing stick out tongue

anywho, back to the topic at hand...

• don't forget that, had it been just Christian, then Cypher woulda killed himself, rather than Tank killing him.
  • Neo wouldn't have loved a woman.
  • You have Persephone being married to 'Hades' (the Merv) and living with him in "Hades". This is Ancient Greek/Roman.
  • A hero must 'venture through Hell to retrieve their Love (Trinity). This is ancient Greek/roman.
  • One must leave behind their old life and live for the higher purpose. Judeo-Christian/Islam

Like Omega said, there are many more that have not been listed here, and there are probably some we haven't even seen yet...

FOR THE MOTHERLAND!!
KMC KGB

Old Post Apr 16th, 2004 06:19 PM
JediHDM is currently offline Click here to Send JediHDM a Private Message Find more posts by JediHDM Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
((The_Anomaly))
2003 Super Senior Member

yes i know all this, but you cannot deny that he was supposed to "imbody the same likeness"

BRAWL FRIEND CODE: 3823-8176-3726

Old Post Apr 17th, 2004 07:00 PM
((The_Anomaly)) is currently offline Click here to Send ((The_Anomaly)) a Private Message Find more posts by ((The_Anomaly)) Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Vim
ILFTKYS

i have seen several other movies and anime where the chosen dies, comes back, supposedly died, and returns. In fact one particular anime is very closely realted to the Matrix, called Casshan: Robot Hunter. The premise is the same that the machines have taken over and enslaved humanity, but not in a matrix enviroment, instead they use whips, and guns and such. There is a prophecy of one who will appear and destroy the main machine guy and save the humans. It is Casshan, who is actually and literally half human/half machine. He takes out tons of robots, and fights the main leader called the Black King. There are literally tons of similiarities that i can get into some other time.

Witness the power of the human spirit in Clashing Forces - Reclamation! A novel by Wesley Belk (that's me!) Here's a sneak peek of the book! The power of the Human Spirit should never be underestimated!Clashing Forces Check the site out for more details!

Old Post Apr 17th, 2004 07:15 PM
Vim is currently offline Click here to Send Vim a Private Message Find more posts by Vim Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote