KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » More Movie Forums » The Matrix Movies » Why the kid is called Michael KARL POPPER

Why the kid is called Michael KARL POPPER
Started by: BioLogos

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
BioLogos

Cool Why the kid is called Michael KARL POPPER

In a few previous threads, people have asked the significance of "the kid's" name being Michael Karl Popper. (we find out his name in "The Kid's story" in The Animatrix)

The significance is this: Karl Popper was a 20th century philosopher of science who developed the idea that science advances by the process of falsification -- to paraphrase, you can't ever prove anything right, but you can prove it wrong, and that only hypotheses capable of conflicting with observations are "scientific".

For more, do a Google search on Karl Popper. One useful site is "THe Karl Popper Web at http ://www.eeng.dcu.ie/~tkpw/ (I had to put a space after http because I can't post links).

So what does this have to do with The Matrix? Michael (the Kid) believed that the world was not real. He conducted the ultimate test of this hypothesis by letting go of the building and falling to the ground, apparently dying, but actually "waking up" to see Neo and Trinity. By this process he got himself out of the matrix (in the words of Trinity "self-substantiated"). This is why the Kid keeps saying "Neo you saved me" but Neo says "No kid, you saved yourself".

I don't know the significance of his first name being "Michael", but I think that Michael means "bringer of light".

Old Post Apr 18th, 2004 02:29 PM
BioLogos is currently offline Click here to Send BioLogos a Private Message Find more posts by BioLogos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
neo2

interesting...good view BioLogos

Old Post Apr 18th, 2004 05:21 PM
neo2 is currently offline Click here to Send neo2 a Private Message Find more posts by neo2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JediHDM
Jedi of the Matrix

In Hebrew, Michael means "Who is like God?"

FOR THE MOTHERLAND!!
KMC KGB

Old Post Apr 18th, 2004 09:15 PM
JediHDM is currently offline Click here to Send JediHDM a Private Message Find more posts by JediHDM Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BioLogos

>Jedi HDM: Thanks for the clarification of the name "Michael". I'll have to tell my friend "Mike" what his name really means! (he is the one who told me the "light" bit...wink).

So, what does "Who is like God" mean in terms of The Matrix???

Old Post Apr 18th, 2004 09:56 PM
BioLogos is currently offline Click here to Send BioLogos a Private Message Find more posts by BioLogos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JediHDM
Jedi of the Matrix

well...he self-substantiated...which is something not even Neo was able to do...so, who is like God is a pretty good explaination of Michael.

FOR THE MOTHERLAND!!
KMC KGB

Old Post Apr 18th, 2004 11:16 PM
JediHDM is currently offline Click here to Send JediHDM a Private Message Find more posts by JediHDM Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Agent Elrond
The Curse is gone

what does "self-substantiated" mean? I was watching in the other day and don't understand exactly what it means.

Old Post Apr 18th, 2004 11:25 PM
Agent Elrond is currently offline Click here to Send Agent Elrond a Private Message Find more posts by Agent Elrond Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
sum1butno1
Transient being

Basically, it means that he freed himself from the matrix instead of someone else (like Morpheus and Co.) giving him a trace program and stuff. The way Popper did was through "apparent teen suicide"; he jumped off a building and believed Neo would pull him out.

Old Post Apr 18th, 2004 11:32 PM
sum1butno1 is currently offline Click here to Send sum1butno1 a Private Message Find more posts by sum1butno1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Agent Elrond
The Curse is gone

that's a big risk. what if it didn't work? not kid, no open gate, and a crahed hammer. that's bad

Old Post Apr 18th, 2004 11:43 PM
Agent Elrond is currently offline Click here to Send Agent Elrond a Private Message Find more posts by Agent Elrond Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
sum1butno1
Transient being

Yes. Very bad. But he had faith in Neo (and, in my humble opinion, got very, very lucky). And hey, it worked for him.

I wonder if any other people were freed by self-substantiation?

Old Post Apr 18th, 2004 11:52 PM
sum1butno1 is currently offline Click here to Send sum1butno1 a Private Message Find more posts by sum1butno1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Agent Elrond
The Curse is gone

as said in the begining, "to get the truth, you must risk everything", or something like that. there's no bigger risk than risking your life

Old Post Apr 18th, 2004 11:57 PM
Numo
Kwisatz Haderach

Thank you very much BioLogos, I really knew nothing of this at all, but for me you really have cleared it up. Again many thanks.

"Always remember...your focus determines your reality."

May whatever God you believe in...have mercy on your RSIs. May the source be with you.

To know the truth, you must risk everything.

Old Post Apr 19th, 2004 10:44 AM
Numo is currently offline Click here to Send Numo a Private Message Find more posts by Numo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BioLogos

I have learned SO much cool from everyone else on this forum - I'm glad to contribute my small part!

Old Post Apr 19th, 2004 01:38 PM
TheOne101
Pissin Off the System

lol yea i learned a lot too..smile

Old Post Apr 19th, 2004 07:06 PM
TheOne101 is currently offline Click here to Send TheOne101 a Private Message Find more posts by TheOne101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mook

good stuff!

are there any other names from the films or animartix that havent been discussed yet?

Old Post Apr 21st, 2004 12:24 PM
mook is currently offline Click here to Send mook a Private Message Find more posts by mook Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheOne101
Pissin Off the System

oh yea lol

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2004 01:06 AM
TheOne101 is currently offline Click here to Send TheOne101 a Private Message Find more posts by TheOne101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The 1st Smith
The Bad Guy.

Thanks BioLogos i really impressed my mates with this.

Old Post Apr 25th, 2004 02:05 PM
The 1st Smith is currently offline Click here to Send The 1st Smith a Private Message Find more posts by The 1st Smith Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote