KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » More Movie Forums » The Matrix Movies » Things which influenced the matrix

Things which influenced the matrix
Started by: Numo

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Numo
Kwisatz Haderach

Things which influenced the matrix

As we have already examined that which the Matrix has influenced. Let us now examine that which the Wachi Bros may have watched or read (as children or as adults) which influenced their writing of the matrix.

Let's see what comes up.

"Always remember...your focus determines your reality."

May whatever God you believe in...have mercy on your RSIs. May the source be with you.

To know the truth, you must risk everything.

Old Post Jul 22nd, 2004 12:19 PM
Numo is currently offline Click here to Send Numo a Private Message Find more posts by Numo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Real
I have more tech than you

i, robot
dragonball z
samurai movies
karate movies
fighting movies
sci-fi movies

Numo>usually what ends up happening is we argue that the things people are comparing to the matrix are actually things that influenced the matrix, not the other way around...

Old Post Jul 22nd, 2004 04:37 PM
Real is currently offline Click here to Send Real a Private Message Find more posts by Real Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Numo
Kwisatz Haderach

quote:
Originally posted by Real
i, robot
dragonball z
samurai movies
karate movies
fighting movies
sci-fi movies

Numo>usually what ends up happening is we argue that the things people are comparing to the matrix are actually things that influenced the matrix, not the other way around...

I'm sorry Real is it? But you will have to do alot better than that. And you are really saying that i, robot which is yet to be released in England influenced the making of the matrix?

May whatever God you believe in...have mercy on your RSIs. May the source be with you.

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2004 02:29 PM
Numo is currently offline Click here to Send Numo a Private Message Find more posts by Numo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Superfly4000

Dune?...

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2004 11:54 PM
Superfly4000 is currently offline Click here to Send Superfly4000 a Private Message Find more posts by Superfly4000 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JediHDM
Jedi of the Matrix

actually, Numo, and i woulda thought you knew this, I, Robot was a book written by Isaac Asimov way before the Matrix was conceived.

as for things which influenced the Matrix, they are too numerous to list, but i will list a few as a helpful point.

"Dune"
"Ghost in the Shell" and other similar anime
"Simulacra and Simulation" and the other two books Keanu Reeves had to read before looking at the original script
"Mona Lisa Overdrive" (not the music in the movie, but the book) and William Gibson in general
"Beowulf"
Shakespearean plays
etc.

FOR THE MOTHERLAND!!
KMC KGB

Old Post Jul 24th, 2004 01:16 AM
JediHDM is currently offline Click here to Send JediHDM a Private Message Find more posts by JediHDM Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Vim
ILFTKYS

Dear lord, he wants to know what influenced the Matrix, its sequels and the Animatrix??? Probably everything known to mankind... just a guess.

Witness the power of the human spirit in Clashing Forces - Reclamation! A novel by Wesley Belk (that's me!) Here's a sneak peek of the book! The power of the Human Spirit should never be underestimated!Clashing Forces Check the site out for more details!

Old Post Jul 24th, 2004 06:38 PM
Vim is currently offline Click here to Send Vim a Private Message Find more posts by Vim Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Numo
Kwisatz Haderach

quote:
Originally posted by JediHDM
actually, Numo, and i woulda thought you knew this, I, Robot was a book written by Isaac Asimov way before the Matrix was conceived.

D'oh! embarrasment

Old Post Jul 27th, 2004 04:32 PM
Mr Zero
Darth Xero

Before the threat of legal action arose even the Wachowskis admitted that The Invisibles was a huge influence. Then they realized they could get sued and began to deny it... finally settling out of court.

The Invisibles is about a group of reality/time jumping "shamanistic heroes" that seek to wake up the world from the strange "unreality" it's been subjected to by the insectiod gods that live in a reality that overlays our own.

In case you still have any doubt - the cast list for the Invisibles: See if it sounds familier...

Jack Frost: The new "special recruit" to the group, a young man living his normal mundane life unaware of the true unidimensional fight swirling around him on another plane of reality.

King Mob: tall shaven headed sunglasses wearing "leader" of the resistance who spouts from the gnostic gospels.

Boy: A slightly masculine female (called boy!) - the kickass fighter of the group who helps train Jack Frost for his "new" role in The Invisibles and ends up his lover...

The bad - guys: The Myrmidons: The agents in the matrix are clearly derived from these characters, and specifically Mr Gelt is so much Agent Smith is not even amusing.

I'd suggest that anyone who is a fan of the matrix go out and read the invisibles, but a word of warning: if you found the matrix hard to follow in places - dont bother, because the invisibles is what the matrix wants to be when it grows up - and you will not have a CLUE whats going on.

Old Post Jul 27th, 2004 07:50 PM
Mr Zero is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Zero a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Zero Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JediHDM
Jedi of the Matrix

OOOOOOO...sounds like my kinda book...The Invisibles, huh? one book, or multiples?

FOR THE MOTHERLAND!!
KMC KGB

Old Post Jul 28th, 2004 06:03 AM
JediHDM is currently offline Click here to Send JediHDM a Private Message Find more posts by JediHDM Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BioLogos

A number of people have discussed the influence of Gibson novels. Although many people point out that he originated the term "jack-in" and was one of the first writers to focus on the virtual worlds ("consensual hallucinations") created by groups of people connected to computers, I think that it is worth pointing out that it is the style of Gibson novels that is a particularly important influence -- Gibson is said to the the originator of "cyberpunk". As part of this stylistic influence, one can say that Trinity is a direct descendant of Gibson's Molly in Neuromancer (Gibson's first book, published in 1984).

Having said this, I don't know anything about the possibility that Gibson himself was influenced but earlier "cutting-edge" comics -- can someone out there who knows comics say whether Gibson's style come from earlier trends in comic books??

Old Post Jul 28th, 2004 01:02 PM
BioLogos is currently offline Click here to Send BioLogos a Private Message Find more posts by BioLogos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
slinger
Scifigunslinger

John Woo movies. cool

For there shall be no mercy...
For any force that stands...
Blocking this path of his righteousness

Old Post Jul 28th, 2004 05:53 PM
slinger is currently offline Click here to Send slinger a Private Message Find more posts by slinger Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Zero
Darth Xero

quote:
Originally posted by JediHDM
OOOOOOO...sounds like my kinda book...The Invisibles, huh? one book, or multiples?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...nce&s=books

Old Post Jul 29th, 2004 07:04 PM
Mr Zero is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Zero a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Zero Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
GABRIEL05
Doom Herald

Everyone check out Lain. It is an anime mini series. It is said to have influenced the Bro's

Old Post Jul 29th, 2004 07:58 PM
GABRIEL05 is currently offline Click here to Send GABRIEL05 a Private Message Find more posts by GABRIEL05 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Zero
Darth Xero

Do you mean Serial Experiments Lain ?

I thought they came out at pretty much the same time - I can't see how it could have been much of an influence.

DAMN fine anime tho.

Old Post Jul 29th, 2004 09:50 PM
Predator 89

Dark City
Issac Asimov's I,robot
Dune 1-6
Terminator
Classic Bruce Lee Films

Old Post Aug 4th, 2004 01:17 AM
Predator 89 is currently offline Click here to Send Predator 89 a Private Message Find more posts by Predator 89 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
fun matrix

Don forget to add the spiritual text upanishads which influenced matrix movies. the directors hinted this source by chanting the lyrics during smith and neo's last fight and also nine chants which gives the hidden meanings of enntire matrix movies. It is then interesting to know about matrix in that light which will answer all the question we discuss here. I agree to all the literature you guys quote here. But that was used to sketch the story characters. But the theme of matrix is upanishads which is the only literature which the directors openly revealed in the movies, which no one can deny. if that was not the case the lyrics would not have been used.

visit these two sites which gives proof for what i wrote above. It is the interview of don davis, the composer of matrix movies.

music.ign.com/articles/458/458007p1.html

matrixjourney.com

Old Post Aug 4th, 2004 12:12 PM
fun matrix is currently offline Click here to Send fun matrix a Private Message Find more posts by fun matrix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
shaber
schizoid

Day of the Triffids might have done.

There are also numerous parallels that can be drawn with doctrines of the major religions.

Old Post Aug 4th, 2004 01:34 PM
shaber is currently offline Click here to Send shaber a Private Message Find more posts by shaber Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Numo
Kwisatz Haderach

What about Tron, or am i the only person to have seen it?

Old Post Aug 13th, 2004 04:41 PM
Victor Von Doom
Latverian Diplomat

The most obvious influence is William Gibson's Neuromancer, which I would recommend to anyone.

In fact, the scene with Hideo blinded, and Neo's similar scene was too much of a lift for my liking, Having said that, I thought Revolutions sucked.

Old Post Aug 16th, 2004 08:00 PM
Victor Von Doom is currently offline Click here to Send Victor Von Doom a Private Message Find more posts by Victor Von Doom Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JediHDM
Jedi of the Matrix

yes...William Gibson was a great influence on the Matrix, as has been mentioned before. Mona Lisa Overdrive is an homage to Gibson.

FOR THE MOTHERLAND!!
KMC KGB

Old Post Aug 16th, 2004 08:38 PM