KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » More Movie Forums » The Matrix Movies » Religion & The MAtrix

Religion & The MAtrix
Started by: Superfly4000

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Superfly4000

Religion & The MAtrix

I do not study religion, nor am I an expert in History. The MAtrix movies obviousely use references from religiouse texts and historical texts. An exampole of this is Zion. I would like to know what Zion is both in religion and history. embarrasment

Old Post Aug 16th, 2004 08:23 PM
Superfly4000 is currently offline Click here to Send Superfly4000 a Private Message Find more posts by Superfly4000 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JediHDM
Jedi of the Matrix

Zionism, was a movement in the 19th and 20th centuries whose sole purpose/desire was the creation of a Jewish state in Palestine, the original land of Canaan. there are also numerous sites, etc. named 'Zion'

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=zion

FOR THE MOTHERLAND!!
KMC KGB

Old Post Aug 16th, 2004 08:41 PM
JediHDM is currently offline Click here to Send JediHDM a Private Message Find more posts by JediHDM Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DirectorFitz

these are some of the religious similarities i can find (through characters):

Neo is like Jesus
Oracle is like God
Smith is like the Anti-Christ
The Architect is like Satan
The Crew of the Nebucadnezzar is like the Apostles

Old Post Aug 19th, 2004 02:20 AM
DirectorFitz is currently offline Click here to Send DirectorFitz a Private Message Find more posts by DirectorFitz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JediHDM
Jedi of the Matrix

*Sigh*...

Ok, Neo is like jesus, yes, they are similar, but they are also very different. The Oracle and the Architect can be considered different aspects of God. The Merovingian is not Satan, but Hades. As for the crew being like the Apostles, yes, they were martyred, but not for Neo, just because Cypher was a turncoat.

FOR THE MOTHERLAND!!
KMC KGB

Old Post Aug 19th, 2004 04:23 AM
JediHDM is currently offline Click here to Send JediHDM a Private Message Find more posts by JediHDM Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Superfly4000

Yes, I have Noticed many similarities between the MAtrix and Mythology. For instance, the Merovingian mentions the fates in Revelutions when speaking to Saraph. Isn't there an Oracle in mythology as well?

Old Post Aug 19th, 2004 04:28 PM
Superfly4000 is currently offline Click here to Send Superfly4000 a Private Message Find more posts by Superfly4000 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Superfly4000

Y

Last edited by Superfly4000 on Aug 19th, 2004 at 04:38 PM

Old Post Aug 19th, 2004 04:30 PM
JediHDM
Jedi of the Matrix

Well, there actually were Oracles in history, the most prominant being the Oracle at Delphi, where a priestess would basically get high and 'talk' with Apollo, relaying his messages to the populace and answering their questions.

FOR THE MOTHERLAND!!
KMC KGB

Old Post Aug 19th, 2004 06:04 PM
Superfly4000

I saw a documentary about the Oracle of Delphi. It was fun to learn that the Oracle of Delphi actually had a sign that said "Know thy self"...

Old Post Aug 19th, 2004 09:53 PM
Superfly4000

Are there any basic Religions in Zion such as Christianity, or Islam? It seems like they worship Neo as a God...

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2004 08:01 PM
JediHDM
Jedi of the Matrix

not that i know of...i mean, there is the temple at the base of the city, however, i have not seen anything resembling an organized religion except for the beads and such. I do not know if there is Christianity or another religion that is organized like we have, though.

FOR THE MOTHERLAND!!
KMC KGB

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2004 10:41 PM
Superfly4000

Many of the characters say the name "Jesus" throught all of the films. At least they know of his existance. Unless Religion was a form of controll made by the machines...

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2004 12:15 AM
Real
I have more tech than you

yeah, but think of it this way...the matrix is a simulation of real life...so they took what we had from 1999 and kept it that way...there was most definately religion in the matrix, and so i think that the people that were free knew full well about Jesus and christianity and other religions...however, i dont think that them saying Jesus has anything to do with their religious affiliation. I know plenty of people who are of other religions and say "Jesus Christ" as a curse all the time...As for religion being a control- i doubt it...the machines would have no understanding of believing in an entity that is beyond human comprehension...so i dont think they'd try to harness it. However, they do use some aspects of religion for personal benefit. Some exiles choose the form of an angel (as stated by the oracle) so there are some matricized religious aspects.
i dont know if i made a point...but thats all i had to say

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2004 12:29 AM
Real is currently offline Click here to Send Real a Private Message Find more posts by Real Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Superfly4000

The machines don't have to comprehend religion in order use it as a form of control. They cannot comprehend the annomaly and yet they use it to there benefit...

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2004 12:33 AM
Real
I have more tech than you

but they do understand the anomaly...the architect explains it to Neo...

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2004 12:46 AM
Real is currently offline Click here to Send Real a Private Message Find more posts by Real Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Superfly4000

He explains to Neo how he uses the anomally as a form of control. He never explains what the anomally is. ..

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2004 05:59 PM
JediHDM
Jedi of the Matrix

by explaining how they use the anomaly as a form of control, the architect explains what the anomaly is. they are one and the same.

FOR THE MOTHERLAND!!
KMC KGB

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2004 07:56 PM
Superfly4000

True, the Architect does understand Neo's purpose, but why that purpose exists, he does not know...

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2004 08:24 PM
Dr.Hell
Russian Neo #1

I have many articles about The Matrix and religion... But all in russian... sad

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2004 07:56 PM
Dr.Hell is currently offline Click here to Send Dr.Hell a Private Message Find more posts by Dr.Hell Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Korri

Find a russian to English Translator.

Old Post Dec 4th, 2004 01:52 PM
Korri is currently offline Find more posts by Korri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
shaber
schizoid

Translators are never any good thumb down

Old Post Dec 4th, 2004 02:03 PM
shaber is currently offline Click here to Send shaber a Private Message Find more posts by shaber Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote