KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » More Movie Forums » The Matrix Movies » 101

Started by: UPEVIL

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
UPEVIL

Can anybody tell me if there's a possible explanation of the number 2 in TM1?
When Trinity contacted Neo for the first time, he press the ESC key twice, then Choi knocks Neo's door twice, Neo tells him that he's 2 hours late, Choi gave Neo 2 grand and Neos door # is 101 (1+1=2).

Can this be just a coincidence? Or is there any meaning for this? Any ideas?

Old Post Jun 20th, 2003 07:14 PM
UPEVIL is currently offline Click here to Send UPEVIL a Private Message Find more posts by UPEVIL Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

The significance most people see in 101 is that it is binary for 5.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Jun 20th, 2003 11:21 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sifer

I'm trying to link 9:18 to something. That is the time on Neo's clock when he is late for work. It is definately something in the Bible - gonna search and see.

As to the 101 thing you mentioned m8, it won't be a coincidence smile

Old Post Jun 21st, 2003 05:51 AM
Sifer is currently offline Click here to Send Sifer a Private Message Find more posts by Sifer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Omega
Z10N0101

Sifer> The W. brothers are not religious, so you may as well search 9:18 in Islamic or Hindi texts if you think it’s supposed to refer to cultural superstition.
Matrix is full of numbers. 23, 7, 16, 314, 101 (also the number in the Merovingians restaurant), 303, and 27 (city blocks).
They may simply be random numbers, tossed out to an audience that expects everything must have a PURPOSE smile

"I just thought you were a guy."
"... Most guys do."

Old Post Jun 21st, 2003 03:47 PM
The Omega is currently offline Click here to Send The Omega a Private Message Find more posts by The Omega Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SpikeSpiegel
Swimming Bird

Yeah I've just read that the password Trinity typed in was ZION101 which as 101 is binary for 5 would be zion 5 could this mean that zion has been destroyed 5 times for each of the 1's or what. Now this is interesting stuff.

I'm not going there to die. I'm going there to see if I really am alive.
Check my Bio for my stories [Last Updated - 27th July 2008]

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2003 09:25 AM
SpikeSpiegel is currently offline Click here to Send SpikeSpiegel a Private Message Find more posts by SpikeSpiegel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
GWilloB

I would suspect that the brosW or anyone else making an even smaller movie to play with "coincidences" knowing that true freaks like us would look...They could have hired someone & I seriously doubt that they would NOT incorporate religion in some ways within the movie...Heck--you could probably make a religion from this movie if you wanted to (actually sick as it sounds undoubtedly someone will)...Perhaps the brosW's religion is agnosticism, but if it is---What is the purpose of making this movie? Just to make money? I think the consensus would point out that most of this trilogy is "religious & philosophical" ...Good vs. Bad...Oppressor vs. Oppressed...It touches base on a lot of inner questions we all have about our own lives, our direction, & purpose...Are we somehow enslaved?...Whether they would admit it or not--- they believe in something

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2003 11:29 AM
GWilloB is currently offline Click here to Send GWilloB a Private Message Find more posts by GWilloB Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darkstar

There are many religious references in both M1 and M2. They incorporate a lot of christianity and buddism as well as others. I do agree with "The Omega" though
quote:
may simply be random numbers

Although 101, which is also the number of the Merovigians restaurant, is binary for 5 and this is the 5th Matrix.

314 May be Pi, because the Matrix is moving in a constant circle.

quote:
Matrix is full of numbers. 23, 7, 16

I dunno if you've noticed, but 23 adds to make 7 (2+3) and 16 adds to make 7 (1+6). this could be used as 7 is a magickal number used for many different things.

But alas (lol) for 303 and 27, I havent yet found a theory. sad smile

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2003 04:22 PM
darkstar is currently offline Click here to Send darkstar a Private Message Find more posts by darkstar Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sifer

I apologise, I know they aren't religious, and I should have pointed out that it may not just be in one bible for one religion. It could be referring to any religious text etc.

And yes, everything does have a purpose smile

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2003 03:25 AM
Sifer is currently offline Click here to Send Sifer a Private Message Find more posts by Sifer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
UPEVIL

I've always look at this number (101) as a 5 also, and never noticed the way number 2 is mention repetitive in this only scene. And I'm pretty sure it means something.

The 9:18.. that number it also appears in the neo's call log at the end of the movie.
I don't know about any other religions that the W. brothers are using, but he Nebuchadnezzar plate has "Mark III No. 11" and that make clear reference to the bible book... my point is, the Bible has a lot to do with The Matrix, therefore Christianity will be the first religion or model I will relate all this.

Spike: What password are you referring to? Where did she typed this password? That's interesting!

Thanks everyone for answering, all of your opinions help me a lot to understand a little more.

Later!

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2003 01:53 PM
UPEVIL is currently offline Click here to Send UPEVIL a Private Message Find more posts by UPEVIL Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SpikeSpiegel
Swimming Bird

i think it said when she was turning off the back up power supply.

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2003 02:40 PM
SpikeSpiegel is currently offline Click here to Send SpikeSpiegel a Private Message Find more posts by SpikeSpiegel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sifer

Try looking at Daniel Chapter 2 verse 3.

The licence plate of the car in Reloaded (the one trinity is driving in the car chase scene) is:

DA0203

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2003 11:02 PM
zoomonkey

quote:
Originally posted by darkstar

I dunno if you've noticed, but 23 adds to make 7 (2+3)

ummm....2+3=5 not 7.

Daniel 2:3," he said 'I have had a dream that troubles me. Tell me what I dreamed , for i must know what it means." this is king Nebuchadnezzar talking to his soothsayers about a dream he had. He can't remeber it and asks them to tel him what it is and what it meant. They have no idea. Daniel later goes to the king, in 2:24-45 to tell him what it means. 2:28"But there is a God in heaven who reveals secrets, and he has shown King Neb what will happen in the future." He later tells him all about his dream. The king saw a huge statue of a man. The statue was then nocked down by a huge rock and crushed to dust and spread like dust in the wind. The rock went on to create a great mountain that covered the earth.

In Wakowski terms I think we can assume that the statue is human civilization and the rock is machine. Machine crushed man and went on to rule the earth. Good tie in if you ask me.

Mark 3:2 makes no sense though.
"Since it was the Sabbath, Jesus' enemies watched Him closely. Would He heal the man's hands on the Sabbath? If He did they planned to condemn Him." I really don't understand how this could tie to the Matrix.

Some one asked about 9:18. I dug around in my Bible and found several that could be used if you tried hard enough. 2Kings 9:18, 2 Chronicles 9:18, Daniel 9:18, Revelations 9:18 and some others. The ones that stood out though were Psalms 9:18 and Ecclesiastes 9:18.

Psalms 9:18 "For the needy will not be forgotten forever; the hopes of the poor will not always be crushed."

Ecclesiastes 9:18 "A wise person can overcome the weapons of war, but one sinner can destroy much that is good."

I like Ecclesiastes the best. Really ties in well with the themes from M1. Neo knows (he is wise) he can dodge bullets, but Cypher (a sinner) can ruin it all.

Take it all how you will.

I think there was a verse refferance on the twins truck too, but don't remeber it.

Steven

Old Post Jun 24th, 2003 09:30 AM
zoomonkey is currently offline Click here to Send zoomonkey a Private Message Find more posts by zoomonkey Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
UPEVIL

Zoomonkey, Thank you for sharing your interpretation with us, they are very... very interesting! I liked the Ecclesiastes 9:18.

The one you didn't understand is actually Mark 3:11, read it and it will make a lot of sense.

Later!

Old Post Jun 24th, 2003 02:14 PM
SpikeSpiegel
Swimming Bird

Could where it says "Would He heal the man's hands" mean something about bane, we saw him cutting his hands with that knife just before trying to kill Neo.

Old Post Jun 24th, 2003 02:50 PM
UPEVIL

I personally believe that it was Mark 3:11 and not Mark 3:2. So I don't believe that verse has anything to do with the Matrix (Would He heal the man's hands)

But I don't know why he cut his hand... that I didn't understand, any ideas why?

Old Post Jun 24th, 2003 03:01 PM
darkstar

Ok, I've found both passages, so let the public choose which fits themselves.

Mark 3:2 -
quote:
Some people were there who wanted to accuse Jesus of doing wrong; so they watched him closely to see whether he would heal the man on the Sabbath

or

Mark 3:11 -
quote:
And whenever people who had evil spirits in them saw him, they would fall down before him and scream, "You are the Son of God!"

I favour the first, as many people are expecting Neo to fail as they do not believe in "The One".
And because of this many people are watching, waiting to see what happened.

Old Post Jun 24th, 2003 06:56 PM
darkstar is currently offline Click here to Send darkstar a Private Message Find more posts by darkstar Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Member.

maybe that guy was just nervous.

Old Post Jun 24th, 2003 10:36 PM
Member. is currently offline Click here to Send Member. a Private Message Find more posts by Member. Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SpikeSpiegel
Swimming Bird

hmmmmmm...bane has the evil spirit of smith in him

Old Post Jun 25th, 2003 07:57 AM
darkstar

It's not that Bane was cutting himself because he was evil, he was in awe at the sensation of pain, and how easily hurt the human form is. Don't forget that Smith could never feel that before, and now, from within Bane, he can

Old Post Jun 25th, 2003 06:30 PM
UPEVIL

Darkstar: That makes completely sense, he's trying to experience what does it feel to be a human... and probably why pain is a necessity for us... thanks for sharing that man!

Old Post Jun 25th, 2003 08:11 PM